What's The Priority?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What's The Priority?

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:44 am

I was in Berlin three weeks ago checking out accommodation and meeting places for end of next may.

Berlin is a fantastic City and getting better all the time.

The stadium is massive and refurbished for the world cup recently in BRD

So i will take a final place please.

Another PL title is on the cards with this powerful squad .

Don't have any objections for a hat trick of visits to Wembley either.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:00 am

Title
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Alex Sapphire » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 am

Retain our title, a day out at Wembley and at least one win in Berlin would do me
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:AND EMBARRASS THE STINKING RAGS..HOME AND AWAY.

Remember the days when either home or away would've done ;-)

Your memory is poor mate. There were times we were desperate for a home draw.

Win everything, fuck the lot of them. Apart from playing like a bunch of cunts against Wigan we would've won the FA as well last season, and I think we'll be better this year.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:33 am

Priorities: Win the leeg.

Do ok in the champs & give some of the kids some game time in the cups, hopefully win one.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:37 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Since we've won the league twice now i'd prefer to see us win the CL this season as it's the only one we haven't won.

Me being who I am, I don't think we'd be allowed to win the CL at the moment, similar to when Chelsea lost the game to Barca. But, eh, oh.

However, and being me again, I'd love to win back-to-back PL titles, it would really show dominance. Moving on from where we were last season in the CL is a must, as long as we don't get a shit draw and then drawn against one of the big names.

Who will it be this season, Barca, Real or Bayern?

Being realistic, I don't think we'll be allowed to win the PL as well, for two reasons :-

(i) The Scum have now been completely re-galvanised by the managerial acumen and genius of Mr.Butthead, which has elevated the odious pile of Manure to the status of champions elect already.

(ii) Because we'll never be forgiven for what we did last season in depriving plucky, unlucky little Liverpuddle of their (title) destiny.

I think we've just got to take whatever we can, play the best football of which we are capable, outscore all other teams in the Division and be prepared to end up with nothing, especially if we use the FA Cup and League Cup (ancient terminology, I know) to 'blood' a number of our young players.

On that basis, our priority would have to be to continue to progress as a Club, refine our playing style further and start the lengthy process of integrating our future stars into the first team squad.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby YayaJonas » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:05 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
sheblue wrote:Retaining title and further progress in CL is the number one priority.
Cups are not a priority, just a bonus.

Perfect.

Agreed. We need to retain the title then more progression in the CL. We should have the squad to get quite far in the domestic cups.
YayaJonas
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Mancester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Think priority for the club is Champions league. Whether that means actually winning it or maybe getting to semi-finals I don't know. Just hope it is not at expense of Premier league

Personally, I would always choose domestic league over a knockout cup. Thats the week in week out standard. Progress in cups is always welcome, but not to the detriment of the league.

Scoring 100 goals again would be nice and getting 10 in a single match would be great but back to back titles is priority for me
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Our owners might have a different set of priorities to ourselves, as fans.

When push comes to shove, I'm sure we (the fans) would all want to win the League again (and again and again...) because, to the majority of us, it's the prime competition and, in many ways, the most satisfying to conquer.

Our owners, with their longer term objective of raising the world-wide profile of Abu Dhabi, partly via City's footballing exploits, could well regard the CL as being THE glamour competition instead and winning that - or at the very least having a successful run it - might be seen as being more in keeping with their own plans and aspirations.

It would be fascinating to discover, not that we're ever likely to do so, what the private inclination and realistic priorities of Mr. Pellegrini are at this stage in his career in Manchester, other than those instructions given to him by his employers.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

You don't get CL football without success in the league though, so the league has to feature in their priorities even if it's as a means to an end for them.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby PrezIke » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Camebro wrote:CL wouldn't be my priority but I think we need to win it, to be really taken serious as a big club in world football. Saying that I'd settle for back to back league title and a pot.

i think making the final would be good enough, but i think we are at least expected to get to the quarterfinals. yet, if we only do that and finish with no other trophies that would be poor.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:24 pm

seems to me it's winning the league and through to at least the quarterfinals in cl, as both will help maintain/grow the club's prestige. however, we will use our depth to still look to go as far as we can in the national cups.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Dameerto wrote:You don't get CL football without success in the league though, so the league has to feature in their priorities even if it's as a means to an end for them.

I'm just musing here (and nothing more) but if we, for example, managed to reach the heady heights of getting to a CL semi-final, especially if we played terrific football and only lost out over two exciting legs, would our owners be overly disconsolate if, in doing that, we only finished fourth in the PL ??

They might well argue, incorrectly or otherwise, that the global perception of City - and therefore Abu-Dhabi - would be far more enhanced by that achievement, rather than winning the League again.

The acid test, however, would come if we only finished, say, fifth or sixth, in the League whilst progressing in Europe. Would they then 'accept' playing in a lesser European competition the following season, for the 'glory' of reaching a CL semi-final in this one ??

Mind you, it would all go haywire if we didn't do ourselves justice either in the PL or the CL, so it's all academic really as we've no idea what our owners' ultimate thoughts are. As I said above, I'm just musing.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:03 pm

My point is (not very well communicated) that you can't play for fourth, it's too competitive in the Prem - you have to aim higher and hope to hang onto as many points as possible. There are 6 teams who could claim to have a good chance of a top four finish, with a number of teams only just below them, take things for granted and you end up doing an Arsenal slipping from top down the placings.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Plain Speaking » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 am

Top priority for me would be PL again. We should be looking for at least CL quarter final. A domestic cup would be a welcome bonus but I would be surprised if we managed a double again. I think the league will be the most competitive in PL history. To win it again would be fantastic!
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Plain Speaking » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:35 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Dameerto wrote:You don't get CL football without success in the league though, so the league has to feature in their priorities even if it's as a means to an end for them.

I'm just musing here (and nothing more) but if we, for example, managed to reach the heady heights of getting to a CL semi-final, especially if we played terrific football and only lost out over two exciting legs, would our owners be overly disconsolate if, in doing that, we only finished fourth in the PL ??

They might well argue, incorrectly or otherwise, that the global perception of City - and therefore Abu-Dhabi - would be far more enhanced by that achievement, rather than winning the League again.

The acid test, however, would come if we only finished, say, fifth or sixth, in the League whilst progressing in Europe. Would they then 'accept' playing in a lesser European competition the following season, for the 'glory' of reaching a CL semi-final in this one ??

Mind you, it would all go haywire if we didn't do ourselves justice either in the PL or the CL, so it's all academic really as we've no idea what our owners' ultimate thoughts are. As I said above, I'm just musing.

Arsenal have been doing what you are saying for years and have been considered a failure. Winning the PL again would be much more of an achievement.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:41 am

After just listening to Beavis and Butthead (Brenda and VG) on SSN I want nothing more than to pummel their respective teams into oblivion!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 am

nottsblue wrote:Think priority for the club is Champions league. Whether that means actually winning it or maybe getting to semi-finals I don't know. Just hope it is not at expense of Premier league

Personally, I would always choose domestic league over a knockout cup. Thats the week in week out standard. Progress in cups is always welcome, but not to the detriment of the league.

Scoring 100 goals again would be nice and getting 10 in a single match would be great but back to back titles is priority for me

Exactly how I think as well.
But unfortunately I think we will see some rotation because of CL which will lead to unnecessary loss of points in the league..hope I'm wrong tho
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:44 am

Do you call winning the arsenal trophy (4th spot) a success in the league?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:05 am

This season I have three priorities: the League, followed by the League and finally the League.

Oh, go on then, I’ll be a bit more realistic.

In the League, top four is essential of course; it would be arrogantly raggish to expect to win every year, but we should be competitive to the end, and finish a close second if we don’t win. In some ways I wouldn’t mind being second; I can remember how bored the country was when they won it year after year. The trouble with us not winning though is who alternative Champions are likely to be. Finishing second to Everton under Martinez would be bearable (albeit extremely unlikely!), but the odiousness of the other contenders means we really have to finish top.

The Champions League is not a big priority for me; decent performances and a nice autumn away trip to somewhere warm with no war going on would be ideal, but I think the owners expect more and the press will get on our backs if we don’t do well, so at least one round further than last time should be our aim, and no cock ups with understanding the rules.

In the FA Cup it is time to put the Wigan Cup Final behind us, and making it City’s first traditional English Double would be the icing on Yaya’s cake.

I really wanted to win the League (Capital One) Cup last year, as it was the only domestic trophy I hadn’t seen City win live on the pitch in front of me. This year we are the cup holders and thus need to take it fairly seriously again, and I think MP will, but we can afford to play a couple of younger players from the off in each game now. Certainly back to lowest priority of the four for me.

I can take a loss in the Charity Shield: in the previous 3 years it has been won by the Champions from Manchester who have then gone on to lose their title (Rags vs. City 2011, City vs. Chelsea 2012, Rags vs. Wigan 2013), so we don’t want that run to continue.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum