Lampard!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Lampard!

Postby PrezIke » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 pm

wow...okay then...

if there ever was any doubt it's clear noq that garcia is surely out.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 pm

PrezIke wrote:wow...okay then...

Lookig at the squad compared with FFP it looks like we're holding out on our players to ensure we have the right players. The problem is that we've got players on fairly high wages (not as bas as it was) and clubs will know we will want to offload. However, I'm fairly sure the management have this now and it's come down considerably from what we've seen before.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby sheblue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:08 pm

It's a bit underwhelming, we don't really need him.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 pm

sheblue wrote:It's a bit underwhelming, we don't really need him.

Consider it as a bit of a Brucie, nothing more. FS aleady stated that we were only in for the players we know about, this would just be a bit right field.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PrezIke » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
PrezIke wrote:wow...okay then...

Lookig at the squad compared with FFP it looks like we're holding out on our players to ensure we have the right players. The problem is that we've got players on fairly high wages (not as bas as it was) and clubs will know we will want to offload. However, I'm fairly sure the management have this now and it's come down considerably from what we've seen before.

good points here. things can change when all transfer targets are lost and clubs will be fishing for someone to fill holes in their squads.

garcia's performance late last season means he will be of value to someone. perhaps he goes back to portugal. pure speculation here, but what's benfica's midfield situation like? would they want him back?

i'd be willing to bet 'arry and qpr would take him on loan. surely they need more premiership level quality players on there roster and will be desperate to not go down again. of course, not so sure garcia would want to go there, unless he was forced to. seems more likely to go abroad, unless perhaps he can't get the same wages, city won't cover the losses, and qpr or some lesser club is willing to pay them.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:50 pm

So how does it work if we include him in our CL squad but then he leaves in March. Do we lose a spot?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Florida Blue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:So how does it work if we include him in our CL squad but then he leaves in March. Do we lose a spot?

Clubs are allowed to register 3 new players after January 1 and before February 1.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dameerto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 am

He would be found out even more than Vieira (under Mancini) if he tried playing a full game in Pellegrini's midfield. It doesn't matter how well you can pass (or attack) if you don't have the legs to get back when the opposition is counter-attacking - and this mobility is the key for central midfield in our system. The whole reason we bought Fernando was for his apparent pace (which he has showed when needed in preseason) so Lampard would make no sense - it would be two steps backward (quite literally).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby city9_4eva » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 am

If you have any mates who are Chelsea fans, drop them a text saying:
Suuuper super Frank

Really makes them angry!!! Don't know why.
Serious note I think this is a great idea for the club! To have him round the place for the younger players! Lots of prem experience and a champs league winner!
city9_4eva
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:27 am

He's keeping fit until the MLS season starts, and if we need him in a pinch he might play a league cup match, nothing more. Registering him for the CL squad is probably down to the quota they have us on and him being English makes him an addition without losing anyone.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:27 am

Wind up value alone makes me smile on this one.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:59 am

Slim wrote:He's keeping fit until the MLS season starts, and if we need him in a pinch he might play a league cup match, nothing more. Registering him for the CL squad is probably down to the quota they have us on and him being English makes him an addition without losing anyone.

it gives him an excuse to stay in England for another 6 months I guess - I still think he was the ring leader in Chelsea's dressing room Cabal though, so the thought of him anywhere near our squad (even if just for training) doesn't sit well.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 am

Mainly to do with Lampard's fitness but I can see him coming on for 10 minutes in a game where we need a goal and making one of his runs from midfield and scoring one. No harm in it and we might get some benefit.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:40 am

Not totally against it if he fills a blank space in the squads, you never know who will get injured.

But the origin of this story is a sudden rush of bets. And the origin of those is that Frank isn't going to Melbourne.

Yokohama anyone?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 am

If true, it would be a good way to keep him fit, & fill a squad space with a homegrown player, allowing us to shift some players we want out, without being short.

Huws has signed a 6 month deal with Wigan I believe, so he gets more full games first half of the season then just takes Lampard's place if we need him.

Did Lampard not say he couldn't face playing in England about a week ago though ? Or was it one of those 'sources close to..' stories ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 am

Not the same Lampard that everybody had in their fantasy team years ago, but a great option to have. He is not a starter but a good pro..... I just hope he os not on the blower to jose every night giving hint and tips.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:48 am

Just to add; I hope he doesn't play very often because he's not very good. Experienced & ok backup but well below our level.

We may be lucky & get a couple of vintage performances I suppose; but it would certainly be luck.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 am

Dameerto wrote:He would be found out even more than Vieira (under Mancini) if he tried playing a full game in Pellegrini's midfield. It doesn't matter how well you can pass (or attack) if you don't have the legs to get back when the opposition is counter-attacking - and this mobility is the key for central midfield in our system. The whole reason we bought Fernando was for his apparent pace (which he has showed when needed in preseason) so Lampard would make no sense - it would be two steps backward (quite literally).

Still not sure what to make of the Lampard situation and if it's only for a six-month spell, I don't know if it's of ultimate benefit to us or not at the end of the day. I can see the pros and cons, but it really is puzzling.

However, Dameerto's post ticks a lot of the boxes as to why it would a backward step bringing him on-board and I think these are starting to outweigh any pluses which might be gained, at least in my mind.

At the end of the day, it might be best if we simply let him train with us and then wave good-bye when he disappears into the sunset.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:29 am

If MP wants him then fine as I can see a benefit to him being at City from our perspective for all the reasons already stated in this thread. But I can't see why he would come here! Surely he would need some good playing time to keep his fitness, match fitness, levels high but I just don't see him getting much game time.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby A25 Cloud » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am

sheblue wrote:It's a bit underwhelming, we don't really need him.

I think we could use him as our 4th midfielder.

Yaya, Fernandinho, Fernando and Lampard.

With Huws, and Zuculini loaned out to gain regular game time. Personally, i think Zuculini is good enough to add depth to our squad, but i don't think its an ideal situation to have him on the bench for too long. The best option is to loan him out and bring someone in who is content with being used sparingly.

I'm not sure what the club will do with Rodwell though, but if there is one thing i know, is that i don't trust him to stay fit as our 4th midfielder. When Fernandinho and Garcia were injured last year for the game against Chelsea at home, we ended up playing Demichelis as our holding midfielder.

Garcia will likely be moved on to accommodate the signing of Mangala.
A25 Cloud
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum