Get close to the Edge

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Get close to the Edge

Postby sweenyuk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Richard Edghill has agreed to be the first guest of the new season for the Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association.

We will now be meeting in the Commonwealth Suite on Monday 18th August, doors open at 7:00pm for a 7:30pm start.

Richard started his career in football as a schoolboy, joining City's youth team in 1988. He broke into the first team in 1993/94 season making his debut against Wimbledon. He played for both the England Under 21's and England B team at the start of what looked to be a very promising career, but serious injuries including having to miss the whole of the 1996/97 season meant his progression was hampered.

After shaking off the injury he was able to hold down a regular place in the first team, playing as a pacey defender who could play in any position across the back four. Richard was part of the team that experienced three promotions and three relegations. Despite having never scored in his professional career, Richard was the fourth player to make the long walk from the centre circle to take a penalty in the 1999 play off final. Horlock had scored the first, Dickov had missed his attempt, Cooke had scored and now it was Richards job to show his true strength of character. With Gillingham having missed two and scored one by this stage Richard scoring meant that Gillingham had to score at the next attempt to stay in the game. Now 3-1 it was over to Gillingham's Butters to take his turn, Weaver saved his attempt and the rest is history, Richard had played a major part in getting City promoted in a game many of us feel is the most important result in the clubs living memory. In the 1999–2000 season an injury to team captain Andy Morrison saw Richard take over as captain and he helped earn City promotion back into the Premiership.

In 2002 Richard left City to join Wigan, he spent the next few seasons switching around clubs before ending his playing career at Macclesfield in 2008. He now helps out as a coach at City's soccer school.

Richard has recently written his autobiography "Once a Blue, always a Blue" and will be bringing copies along to the meeting. the ups and downs of Richard's rollercoaster career will strike a chord with any City fan who went through similar agonies and ecstasies. A scapegoat, a dreamer, a fiercely loyal Premier League star: although Richard never enjoyed the huge salaries or adulation of some of his colleagues, Once a Blue Always a Blue presents an overwhelmingly human story.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Get close to the Edge

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 pm

boooooooooooooooooo!!!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Down by the river ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby RodneyRodney » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:25 pm

don't let the season pass you by
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby patrickblue » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

I get up
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 pm

It's the likes of Rickie Edgehill that really interest me. The fact that he was always a Blue from a lad and spent the best days of his life with us, only to be treated horrendously by his own fans should be an eye-opener for those both young and old. The way he was treated was one of the first times I realised that I wasn't part of the collective and that being Blue didn't mean that you had to be a sheep.

And now, isn't he still working with us?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby patrickblue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 am

Beefymcfc wrote:It's the likes of Rickie Edgehill that really interest me. The fact that he was always a Blue from a lad and spent the best days of his life with us, only to be treated horrendously by his own fans should be an eye-opener for those both young and old. The way he was treated was one of the first times I realised that I wasn't part of the collective and that being Blue didn't mean that you had to be a sheep.

And now, isn't he still working with us?

I know exactly how you feel. I remember be accused of not being a real City fan because I was standing up for Ian Bowyer at an away game at Spuds. That's when I came to the same realisation.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby dazby » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 am

I thought Edge lived at Halifax and spent his days slagging off Edin to anyone who'd listen?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 am

Beefymcfc wrote:It's the likes of Rickie Edgehill that really interest me. The fact that he was always a Blue from a lad and spent the best days of his life with us, only to be treated horrendously by his own fans should be an eye-opener for those both young and old. The way he was treated was one of the first times I realised that I wasn't part of the collective and that being Blue didn't mean that you had to be a sheep.

This, although the Swales out period taught me the same thing a bit earlier. And Paul Power prior to that.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:57 am

He has shown over many years, more class than the wankers who booed a blue,when players on 10 times what he was on hid and milked the club. Top bloke.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 am

Ill admire him for sticking his hand up and taking a penalty at Wembley which showed serious cojones.

As a player he never recovered in form from the cruciate ligament injury he got. A decent serviceable pro who gave his all for City.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sheblue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 am

Hazy2 wrote:He has shown over many years, more class than the wankers who booed a blue,when players on 10 times what he was on hid and milked the club. Top bloke.

true..
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby King Kev » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:46 am

Well said.

Edgehill was the first City player I remember being abused by his own fans on a regular basis, sadly he wasn't the last!

I never understood it because he was one of us, and that should have bought him a bit more patience and support from the fans rather than making him a target for unwarranted abuse.
The fact that he still loves City after all he was put through is testament to his passion and dignity.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum