Caballero V Hart

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Caballero V Hart

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
Here are some stats on goalkeepers by the way:

http://www.manchesterlalala.com/best-goalkeepers-premier-league-2013-14/#.VBVw1xbWd8o

thank you for posting that link. I'd love to see the hart lickers explain how their golden boy doesn't rank even among the top fucking half of PL keepers in terms of saving shots - something at which he is supposedly WORLD CLASS??? he is rubbish and not nearly good enough for one of the top sides in europe.

that shots saved per ratio is laughable. it shows he only concedes less because of the team in front of him.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:01 pm

thank you for posting that link. I'd love to see the hart lickers explain how their golden boy doesn't rank even among the top fucking half of PL keepers in terms of saving shots - something at which he is supposedly WORLD CLASS??? he is rubbish and not nearly good enough for one of the top sides in europe.

No worries mate.

But the problem with that figure is that only Cech from last year's top four is in that figure of top shot stoppers because the top teams don't concede that many shots. As far as I can see, only three of the top seven teams' goalkeepers are in there, which goes to show that it's a tricky stat. That Cech is in there is very probably caused by the fact that he had to play with Luiz. Top teams' keepers are bound to have a lower ratio because the goals they concede will have a bigger impact as they receive less shots.

There's the saves per clear chance (I have no idea how a clear chance is defined but it's better than this other ratio) ratio as well, which I have yet to find. That should be more revealing.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

No worries mate.

But the problem with that figure is that only Cech from last year's top four is in that figure of top shot stoppers because the top teams don't concede that many shots. As far as I can see, only three of the top seven teams' goalkeepers are in there, which goes to show that it's a tricky stat. That Cech is in there is very probably caused by the fact that he had to play with Luiz. Top teams' keepers are bound to have a lower ratio because the goals they concede will have a bigger impact as they receive less shots.

There's the saves per clear chance (I have no idea how a clear chance is defined but it's better than this other ratio) ratio as well, which I have yet to find. That should be more revealing.

That's the thing with that saves per shot stat, it doesn't breakdown what type of shots or saves, for example there's a big difference with someone hitting a speculative shot from 20 yards and a shot coming from a one on one situation. We're most likely to face more of the latter due to most opposition playing on the counter against us.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Wonderwall wrote:you see top keepers beaten through the legs all the time. It is a difficult position as you are always under scrutiny as a GK makes an error, there is rarely someone there to rescue them. he is being blamed for going to ground to early against Wilshite, for not closing his legs against stoke.... etc.

He is a Top keeper and I like and trust him. However, his distribution always has been and still is shocking.

If his ability on the ball was better we would have more flow and the last 10 mins we had at the Emirates would have seen us tear them a new hole he runs to the edge of the box feints to dish it runs around again, at the speed of the game that is 5/10 secs and the team is almost back, frustrates the fuck our of me, must drive players insane. Slow mind for a top player, Counter attack on a dead on there feet Arsenal is crucial and a sin to have a keeper who slows is all down, when that is the last thing you want.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:But the problem with that figure is that only Cech from last year's top four is in that figure of top shot stoppers because the top teams don't concede that many shots.

ok that is an interesting idea and may well be true. but we're repeatedly told that shot stopping is hart's ace in the hole, the ONE thing that makes it worthwhile to overlook his poor distribution, poor decision making, and poor command of the area. if he is actually that good at stopping shots, I would have expected him at least to feature in the top ten?? imo he was once a good shot stopper but that was years ago. now? he's below average, and his errors have cost/are costing us too many points in the PL, not to mention the fact that we might have topped the group in CL and avoided barca last season.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:37 pm

ok that is an interesting idea and may well be true. but we're repeatedly told that shot stopping is hart's ace in the hole, the ONE thing that makes it worthwhile to overlook his poor distribution, poor decision making, and poor command of the area. if he is actually that good at stopping shots, I would have expected him at least to feature in the top ten?? imo he was once a good shot stopper but that was years ago. now? he's below average, and his errors have cost/are costing us too many points in the PL, not to mention the fact that we might have topped the group in CL and avoided barca last season.

I can give you this after some more search: the general consensus on all sites that tend to use or gather keeper data say he's not very good at stopping long shots, which I've never thought about before.

I don't agree that he's below average, I think he's above average and I trust him. I don't think he's bad at crosses and commanding his area, at least not as bad as he used to be (not the best of praises I know but I'm rarely nervous about crosses any more). However, he needs to start working on his flaws and become a more complete goalkeeper, as I think our needs for a goalkeeper has changed since he broke through. Back in the days we were happy with a shot stopper and we were under a lot more pressure. Four years on and we are now looking for something else and he needs to adapt to that.

What I've liked about him is that he's always been one to improve on mistakes after he made them. He should also know that he's lost a bit of the aura of invulnerability he had before. He needs to regain that. Otherwise it doesn't matter. He's only 27, he should be developing as we speak and prove the doubters. I've not seen that from him yet.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

I can give you this after some more search: the general consensus on all sites that tend to use or gather keeper data say he's not very good at stopping long shots, which I've never thought about before.

I don't agree that he's below average, I think he's above average and I trust him. I don't think he's bad at crosses and commanding his area, at least not as bad as he used to be (not the best of praises I know but I'm rarely nervous about crosses any more). However, he needs to start working on his flaws and become a more complete goalkeeper, as I think our needs for a goalkeeper has changed since he broke through. Back in the days we were happy with a shot stopper and we were under a lot more pressure. Four years on and we are now looking for something else and he needs to adapt to that.

What I've liked about him is that he's always been one to improve on mistakes after he made them. He should also know that he's lost a bit of the aura of invulnerability he had before. He needs to regain that. Otherwise it doesn't matter. He's only 27, he should be developing as we speak and prove the doubters. I've not seen that from him yet.

Good post, see people that's objectivity.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Problem for Joe is, unless he does put in some good performances, he will be replaced by Big Willy and if will stands up to the task and is hard to beat, then he will remain the 1st choice stopper
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:54 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
Here are some stats on goalkeepers by the way:

http://www.manchesterlalala.com/best-goalkeepers-premier-league-2013-14/#.VBVw1xbWd8o

that shots saved per ratio is laughable. it shows he only concedes less because of the team in front of him.

Thanks for the link, I'm always on the lookout for independent reliable sites for football info. The site you got the info. "Manchester LaLaLa" is a rag blog.
The main site where the stats are from, "squawka", seems questionable.
For this season it shows the following performance scores for this season: 1. Chelsea 1,532; 2. Rags 1,272; 3. Southampton 1,075; 4. Spurs 1,023 5. Arsenal 928; 6. Stoke 885; 7. Liverpool 872; 8. Swansea 842; 9. City 756
Vincent Kompany is ranked 80th in the list of PL defenders, Zaba is last 118th, while Phil Jones is ranked 3rd.
There might be some good stuff there but on first glance it seems typical of the "rag loving, City bashing" media.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Squawka, Whoscored and Kicker, and a lot of other sites, seem to use some sort of point system. I usually disregard them, as well as that odd fifaranking crap. I personally stay away from those as I have little idea of how reliable they are. They're just weird, IMO.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Hart simply isn't as good as he was a couple of years ago. All these great games he had that folks remember are from two or more years ago. Goalies are supposed to improve with age, not regress.

Four goals conceded this season against how many shots? Seven? Ten? Very poor ratio.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby shortagain » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:Hart simply isn't as good as he was a couple of years ago. All these great games he had that folks remember are from two or more years ago. Goalies are supposed to improve with age, not regress.

Four goals conceded this season against how many shots? Seven? Ten? Very poor ratio.

Must agree on that, didn't used to worry about their attacks as Joe would invariably deal with any shots. These days even back passes worry me in case he miss kicks. He hasn't & may never, but that's my level of faith these days. Just waiting for the mistake.
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Herb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 pm

shortagain wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Hart simply isn't as good as he was a couple of years ago. All these great games he had that folks remember are from two or more years ago. Goalies are supposed to improve with age, not regress.

Must agree on that, didn't used to worry about their attacks as Joe would invariably deal with any shots. These days even back passes worry me in case he miss kicks. He hasn't & may never, but that's my level of faith these days. Just waiting for the mistake.

I didn't even think he was that good a couple of seasons ago - more the case that he had the odd good game and some bum ones like nowadays combined with a natural tendency from those who would prefer to see him in his best light choosing to use a selective memory. He's a mid-table keeper at a top table club - we deserve better and we'll get better.
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Herb wrote:
shortagain wrote:

I didn't even think he was that good a couple of seasons ago - more the case that he had the odd good game and some bum ones like nowadays combined with a natural tendency from those who would prefer to see him in his best light choosing to use a selective memory. He's a mid-table keeper at a top table club - we deserve better and we'll get better.

name them then... other than neuer and courtois (who has conceded 6 already this season) there aren't really many better
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Herb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

You don't need to look far - DeGea (twat that he is) is already better than dozy Joe by a country mile.
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:09 am

Herb wrote:You don't need to look far - DeGea (twat that he is) is already better than dozy Joe by a country mile.

I wouldn't swap joe for him
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PeterParker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:23 am

Maybe Joe was overrated. He had two incredible seasons, at Birmingham and then the first one at us + half of the winning season in 2012.

I don't think he can get any better than he is right now, but he can be worse. He is a good keeper, but i don't think he is in top four in the Premiership.

Maybe i am biased, but i was convinced at that time and still am now, that we should had choose Kasper instead of Joey. He is better than Joe, but he gets injured often, while Joe wasen't injured even once in the past 2 or 3 years, which means his training is very profesional and he knows what he is doing.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Herb wrote:You don't need to look far - DeGea (twat that he is) is already better than dozy Joe by a country mile.

I wouldn't swap joe for him

I would...you wanker.

He is far better than Joe.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Great game tonight credit where it is due.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bluemoon16 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:10 pm

On nights like these, Joe's arguably one of the elite keepers around.
Bluemoon16
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: ZabzZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum