Not Really Here?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Not Really Here?

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Living in Germany I don't get to hear from TalkSport, don't really read the British newspapers or have SSN on a loop but coming back for a bit of leave old habits die hard. Having a bit of time on my hands I can't help but read/listen to all things City but coming back to the UK has got me a bit stumped. I was aware that there was very little coverage of our excellent Double last season with the media seeming to wash it away from the the current topic with ease, preferring to concentrate on the upcoming WC. I can sort of handle that and have grown used to it over time while they spout their bile but this time it seems rather different.

It may only be me but we seem to be being ignored, or at least overlooked. Anybody else feel the same, as if 'We're Not Really Here'?

PS. What sparked this was listening to Brazil and Curbishley this morning. Brazil asked Curbishley about last nights game as Curbishley covered it for Sky Sports nd just before he started to speak Brazil then came with the words 'In brief'. This led to a 20 second summary from Curbishley befre hitting the ad's and back to something completely different.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Not Really Here?

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Well, we spoiled Liverpool's party. They were meant to win the Premier League.
What's your nearest (big) team in Germany mate and do you ever go to games there?
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Oh yes, absolutely. I had a little rant about it yesterday when they had the Chavs doing Arsenal 6-0 on the BT Sport ad.
It went something along the lines of "Who's the fulking champions anyway. If it was the rags all you'd get is a constant stream of Rooney's ugly face, and if red scouse had won it they'd still be showing reruns of their bloody bus".
My missus, who doesn't like football looked totally taken aback, but then agreed
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 pm

I felt the same when I read the Sunday paper: two page spread about Van Gaal, Van Giggs and Van Rooney, page about Wilshere giving up fags (or trying), page about Drogba and Maureen, half a page about Joe Allen, even half a page about Fat Sam, and one tiny quarter length single column about City (comments from Navas). Whose the bloody double winners?

Then I thought, let the others hog the limelight and MP can sneak in for the trophies again.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

They're ignoring us in the media in general, Beefy. They must be really hurting ;-)
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Well, we spoiled Liverpool's party. They were meant to win the Premier League, especially in the 25th anniversary year.
That and the world cup.
What's your nearest (big) team in Germany mate and do you ever go to games there?

Nearest is Monchengladbach but I've not been. When I first went out I was planning on going as often as I could but with the workload and the fact that I get to see about 6 games a weekend from the Prem, it was put on the backburner. Plus my Mrs came out in January so it's now become a non-entity.

Good to see I'm not the only one though and some of those adverts I've seen from BT Sport have had me livid. It's obviously hurting as they've now gone from denial, to anger, to ignorance hoping that we'll just fade away. I seen a picture in the Mail the other day and even though the 1st line of the text had us down as Champions the picture actually showed Chelsea/Maureen lifting the trophy surrounded by The Arse, Dippers and Rags.

I know I shouldn't but it makes my blood boil.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm

He who is on top of the league after 38 games laughs the loudest and longest.

Fuck the media. We won two pots last season. That's two more than Chelsea, rags and dippers put together.

More of the same this season as well please. Rim the rags and van Gaal and Chavs and Moaninho for eight months whilst we just carry on winning until the media realise we win again. Bliss
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm

[quote="nottsblue"]He who is on top of the league after 38 games laughs the loudest and longest.

Fuck the media. We won two pots last season. That's two more than Chelsea, rags and dippers put together.

Amen to that. I kept the highlights of the Palace v Dippers game and watched it again the other day. I'm definitely still laughing at that. It does annoy me though that we get no recognition for a double. Yet Sky et al constantly refer to the dippers' great season? They seem to have forgotten Bill Shankley's oft quoted saying "first is first and second is nowhere."
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
nottsblue wrote:He who is on top of the league after 38 games laughs the loudest and longest.

Amen to that. I kept the highlights of the Palace v Dippers game and watched it again the other day. I'm definitely still laughing at that. It does annoy me though that we get no recognition for a double. Yet Sky et al constantly refer to the dippers' great season? They seem to have forgotten Bill Shankley's oft quoted saying "first is first and second is nowhere."

You seem to have overlooked Liverpool FC's moto: first is first and so is second.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby City64 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:30 pm

It was all happening in Manchester City center when we won the title ;-) Pellegrini plays the media to perfection , when he speaks they have to listen . Real buzz again now in Manchester now the new season is upon us and let us again let our results do the talking ;-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 am

When we get more fans in the UK, the stories and press interest will follow. Simple. It'll take more time and more sustained success. I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans would have complained about this when they rose to power.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dwaring » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:18 am

Don't understand why anyone cares. We used to get way more press with balo tevez and Mancini around. But in terms of sucsess wouldn't you rather being low key. Just as I said last year no one talks about us anymore and I love it. Pellers and the front office seem to have it down key.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 am

I don't mind it when we are under the radar
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 am

dazby wrote:When we get more fans in the UK, the stories and press interest will follow. Simple. It'll take more time and more sustained success. I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans would have complained about this when they rose to power.

I'm not sure if Chelsea did get the same treatment. Yes, there was a lot of jealous fans out there but the media had Maureen to fawn over. At the time there was still a space in the top 4 to be cemented with The Arse, Dippers and Rags ruling the roost, with the odd challenge by Spurs or Everton. Now, we've made it so one of those may not/cannot make it, ie. Dippers the last few years, Chelsea a couple of years back and the Rags last year. Even Spurs had it snatched away from them when Chelsea won the CL.

I think we're a wholely different story from the rest as we have all the hallmarks to go on and be sustainable and the further we go with the project, the more they realise that this is the case.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't mind being under the radar and yes we did celebrate our success and have a nice trip to wembley soon as well. However, we are never under the radar when something goes wrong. Top of the agenda then e.g. Tevez, Yaya etc. our success is ignored but the media can't wait to throw the negativity around when they get the slightest chance.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby dazby » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
dazby wrote:When we get more fans in the UK, the stories and press interest will follow. Simple. It'll take more time and more sustained success. I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans would have complained about this when they rose to power.

I'm not sure if Chelsea did get the same treatment. Yes, there was a lot of jealous fans out there but the media had Maureen to fawn over. At the time there was still a space in the top 4 to be cemented with The Arse, Dippers and Rags ruling the roost, with the odd challenge by Spurs or Everton. Now, we've made it so one of those may not/cannot make it, ie. Dippers the last few years, Chelsea a couple of years back and the Rags last year. Even Spurs had it snatched away from them when Chelsea won the CL.

I think we're a wholely different story from the rest as we have all the hallmarks to go on and be sustainable and the further we go with the project, the more they realise that this is the case.

I'll grant you Mourinho but the takeover began with the Tinkerman.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm

dazby wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I'll grant you Mourinho but the takeover began with the Tinkerman.

Very true and I still think the media had eyes for Ranieri as they played the story all about when he was going to be sacked and who would takeover. They had a bit of a go but when Maureen came in they went all smitten and begged for his cheesy quims quips.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

TBH Beefers, this shit used to really wind me up, then I realised that no matter what the shite gutter press and tabloid radio fone-ins say, it can never alter the result.

Scousehampton may have the headlines and coverage, but it is City who have the trophies.

I no longer bother with any of the papers and my radio/tv has this device called an off switch.

I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I don't mind being under the radar and yes we did celebrate our success and have a nice trip to wembley soon as well. However, we are never under the radar when something goes wrong. Top of the agenda then e.g. Tevez, Yaya etc. our success is ignored but the media can't wait to throw the negativity around when they get the slightest chance .

That's the one. Its the rusty old wheelbarrow with all our shit in that they always find without having to search for it at all. Like its there, ready.
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Not having tits like balotelli and tevez helps us stay under the radar. That said yaya done well to create a story from nothing, now he's squared it off it's no surprise the media don't seem all that interested anymore...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum