Southampton

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Southampton

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Dameerto wrote:i think it was the situation that unsettled him, turmoil, all this team mates leaving and the manager stating he didn't think he could take the team any higher just before he jumped ship. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to stay with Koeman now though. They seem to have a genuine top four chance, and a far more credible chance than Spurs.

Knowing how football goes it wouldnt surprise me if Koeman took an offer to step up at the end of the season and go somewhere else. His management CV before this gig was patchy so he may feel its a chance to make hay while the sun shines. Its a cynical view I suppose but weve seen it so often. Depends on his and the saints long term ambitions...selling as many as they did every season is risky stuff, a couple of flop signings and you are in do-do in this league.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby aaron bond » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 am

I would love Southampton to finish in the top 4 but the 'big' teams usually rise to the top over the course of the season and I expect that to happen again. If more teams actually attacked United and caused their atrocious defence (De Gea aside) some problems, then the race for top 4 genuinely could down to the wire. But the chances of that happening are slim unfortunately.

The other downside for Southampton in the longer term is that the Premier League FFP rules are now in force. They voted against the rules, like us, but are now unable to significantly invest in their squad. Furthermore, they'll be impacted by the UEFA FFP rules should they qualify for any sort of European competition. That's a real shame.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am

They have come out incredibly well out of a very difficult festive fixture clump. 13 points v EVE, CRY, CHE, ARS & MUN after losing 4 in a row (us, ARS, MUN, BUR). They are solid, only 15 goals conceded and still in 3rd. They have a real chance.

I will hold my hand up and say that I expected them to struggle massively. Fair fucks for proving me wrong so far.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby phips » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:20 pm

aaron bond wrote:The other downside for Southampton in the longer term is that the Premier League FFP rules are now in force. They voted against the rules, like us, but are now unable to significantly invest in their squad. Furthermore, they'll be impacted by the UEFA FFP rules should they qualify for any sort of European competition. That's a real shame.

why would you say that? they made a lot of cash from their summer sales and haven't spent close to that amount yet rebuilding their current squad...
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:52 pm

phips wrote:
aaron bond wrote:The other downside for Southampton in the longer term is that the Premier League FFP rules are now in force. They voted against the rules, like us, but are now unable to significantly invest in their squad. Furthermore, they'll be impacted by the UEFA FFP rules should they qualify for any sort of European competition. That's a real shame.

why would you say that? they made a lot of cash from their summer sales and haven't spent close to that amount yet rebuilding their current squad...

This is true, provided that this 'war chest' hasn't 'disappeared' elsewhere, as transfer surpluses are often wont to do.

Given the nature of their current squad, I still think they need to spend quite a bit this January and, if they fail to do this, I'm not sure they can last the course through to May, which would be a great shame.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Watching Ipswich v Southampton (shat out on our youth cup game due to weather warnings).

Wondered why Ipswich were playing such neanderthal, thick headed, hoof it, shite, 90s football, then saw Mick McCarthy.

Square headed morons like him should not be given jobs in football.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Watching Ipswich v Southampton (shat out on our youth cup game due to weather warnings).

Wondered why Ipswich were playing such neanderthal, thick headed, hoof it, shite, 90s football, then saw Mick McCarthy.

He's an ex-blue. Is that not a bit harsh. A good championship manager. I know what you mean though. He instills old style values, like work rate, teamwork, organisation, but they are spending more time hoofing it into the air, tonight. Very little guile.

By the way Wanyama gone off.....hamstring.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Watching Ipswich v Southampton (shat out on our youth cup game due to weather warnings).

He's an ex-blue. Is that not a bit harsh. A good championship manager. I know what you mean though. He instills old style values, like work rate, teamwork, organisation, but they are spending more time hoofing it into the air, tonight. Very little guile.

Nah.

He was a big lump as a player & he's a dinosaur as a manager. The sooner all of these 'good ol boys' are dumped out of football, the better. They are the problem, especially if they win games playing that mechanical shite.

Southampton really unlucky to have Schneiderlin & Wanyama both pick up injuries.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:31 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Nah.

He was a big lump as a player & he's a dinosaur as a manager. The sooner all of these 'good ol boys' are dumped out of football, the better. They are the problem, especially if they win games playing that mechanical shite.

Southampton really unlucky to have Schneiderlin & Wanyama both pick up injuries.

I went to watch Ipswich over a year ago. My sister lives in Suffolk. Really enjoyed the small ground atmosphere. They were played off the park but robbed a 2-1 victory. Can't remember the opposition. If you think tonight's offering is Neanderthal, you want to see where they were before Mick took over. If they do get promoted though I couldn't see them survive very long in the Prem.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 pm

To be honest Southampton are fuck all better.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 pm

sheblue wrote:To be honest Southampton are fuck all better.

Very little quality on show all round.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Another hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Bad conditions, honest endeavor, but poor quality and Southampton didn't have to get out of third gear.
What's on the other channel?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I gave up.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:06 pm

I had £12 on there being at least 2 goals. Thought it was a certainty after Long scored after 19. Still, can't win them all. Denis Suarez playing for Sevilla looks tasty though
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:12 pm

That mings lad looks ok. Composed on the ball and looks a good athlete
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Wonderwall wrote:That mings lad looks ok. Composed on the ball and looks a good athlete

21st century carlton palmer
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:That mings lad looks ok. Composed on the ball and looks a good athlete

21st century carlton palmer

I used to watch something like that on Saturday mornings as a kid........
Ming in the 21st Century.
I think Flash Gordon played for them too.

OK I'll log off now.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bear60 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Very Scrappy game tonight but Ipswich didn't really have anything to offer
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby aaron bond » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
phips wrote:

This is true, provided that this 'war chest' hasn't 'disappeared' elsewhere, as transfer surpluses are often wont to do.

Given the nature of their current squad, I still think they need to spend quite a bit this January and, if they fail to do this, I'm not sure they can last the course through to May, which would be a great shame.

Agreed they have money to spend from their transfer sales, but the reality is to mount a serious challenge to the top 4 you require significant investment (unless your revenue is very high, which is not the case for Southampton).

This is exactly what FFP was designed to do - minimise the threat from 'smaller' clubs to the established elite.

I would love Southampton to break into the top 4, and for their fans to experience even a small amount of what we have in recent years, but the chances of that happening are small.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:19 am

Even if they broke top 4 this year it would be disastrous for them next season.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum