Southampton

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Southampton

Postby halnone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:09 pm

They've lost Shaw, Lovren, Lambert, Lallana, Chambers, and looks like they're about to lose Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez to Spurs.

Feel for them to be honest. Wouldn't be surprised if they struggle to stay up next season. When was the last time a club was raided like this?
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Southampton

Postby sandman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 pm

They reserve the prerogative to say no to any offers when players are under contract with them, they are destroying themselves and so get exactly what they deserve.

Nobody is up in arms about FFP now, they are basically proving that they value money over football and fans but because it is a selling club rather than a buying club then nobody cares.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

The biggest slap to the "You can grow organically" argument.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

wouldn't be happening if cortese was still running things down there
all the club's ambition left with him
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Relegation beckons I fear. Then the serious money stops rolling in. Then players on Prem wages are in a lower division. They've been in this position before 10/12 years ago and went into administration. I think before Rupert Lowe's time as chairman. A nice club who have been well run. Never going to break into the top echelons of the game. Even if a sugar daddy took over. There just isn't the fanbase to sustain it. Relegation could be very costly for them. It is reckoned if QPR hadn't have won the play off final they'd have been in administration by now. Very scary to be a Saints fan at the moment. Not least because most of their most exciting players have left. Personally don't think they'll go down, but it could be close
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Come to the Prem, make a shit load from there, show your wares, sell them off at a huge profit, go back down, receive huge parachute payments, bring through another crop. Come back to the Prem ..........

Don't feel sorry for the Saints, they've chose this route. The fans however .........
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Come to the Prem, make a shit load from there, show your wares, sell them off at a huge profit, go back down, receive huge parachute payments, bring through another crop. Come back to the Prem ..........

Don't feel sorry for the Saints, they've chose this route. The fans however .........

the fans will enjoy winning the championship every other year?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Come to the Prem, make a shit load from there, show your wares, sell them off at a huge profit, go back down, receive huge parachute payments, bring through another crop. Come back to the Prem ..........

True, fuck 'em all!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Clowncrete wrote:The biggest slap to the "You can grow organically" argument.

Completely agree, although the extent to which the dippers have been allowed to pick clean the bones of the Southampton side has to lie in part with the owner of Southampton. This will be the future for most of these club now, including Everton if they're not careful.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Strange that 4 of the clubs who wanted the breakaway (It's our money, not yours.) are picking the Saints off and nothing is said.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

nottsblue wrote:Relegation beckons I fear. Then the serious money stops rolling in. Then players on Prem wages are in a lower division. They've been in this position before 10/12 years ago and went into administration. I think before Rupert Lowe's time as chairman. A nice club who have been well run. Never going to break into the top echelons of the game. Even if a sugar daddy took over. There just isn't the fanbase to sustain it. Relegation could be very costly for them. It is reckoned if QPR hadn't have won the play off final they'd have been in administration by now. Very scary to be a Saints fan at the moment. Not least because most of their most exciting players have left. Personally don't think they'll go down, but it could be close

Disagree top ten for them.sure they've lost players but they got top dollar for them all. Invest even a quarter of thy back shrewdly and they will be fine. Shaw replaced by targett think his name is, 18 year old left back supposed to be class. Chambers wasn't a starter all the time so clyne will play, buy a centre half maybe Vlaar, two Dutch league guys replace lallana and lambert n bobs your uncle! Hardest to replace will b lambert, he is the one who they got screwed over IMO.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

They will struggle this season.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby aaron bond » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

True, fuck 'em all!

I don't think it's fair to say that they've chosen this route. They were one of the clubs that voted against the Premier League FFP rules.

What is happening to Southampton is a result, however, of what FFP is leading too. Southampton had a very good squad of players, and with some additional investment, could have improved further. But the restrictions on their ability to spend means they cannot give their better players an incentive to stay and when a bigger club comes calling they have no choice but to sell.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Spurge » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm

sandman wrote:They reserve the prerogative to say no to any offers when players are under contract with them, they are destroying themselves and so get exactly what they deserve.

Nobody is up in arms about FFP now, they are basically proving that they value money over football and fans but because it is a selling club rather than a buying club then nobody cares.

So they might have the right for saying not for sale but I think we know in reality it's seldom as simple as that. With this in mind I wouldn't agree they are necessarily getting what they deserve unless the chairman just wants to cash in of course and has no intention of keeping the squad together.

If players are in demand and desperate to take their careers to the next level they usually get what they want. It will be like a disease at the club, as one goes another will decide it's right for them and as long as bigger clubs are sniffing around then the desire to follow in the footsteps of a team mate is difficult to resist. The agent has plenty to gain here as well of course.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby phips » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 am

such a shame. they were incredibly enjoyable to watch last season
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 am

phips wrote:such a shame. they were incredibly enjoyable to watch last season

Youll still be able to see them this season - just half at Liverpool and the other half at Spurs.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 am

Have Liverpool not been burned with this kind of purchase before, Charlie Adam springs to mind whenever I think of them buying these sorts of players.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Cit.revenge » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 am

This is why small will stay small , they just need to take money
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 am

Slim wrote:Have Liverpool not been burned with this kind of purchase before, Charlie Adam springs to mind whenever I think of them buying these sorts of players.

joe allen
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Esky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 am

Seems they're opting for the Carl Icahn style of ownership at Soton - a lot of assets stripped already. To be fair, Tadic and Pelle weren't free transfers, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Chambers is an odd one as he could be worth double what Arsenal paid in a year or two (once he has England caps under his belt). At any rate, he should wear number 36 there.

Schneiderlin is the biggest loss for me - a very classy player that would improve most teams in the league.

Osvaldo will also return to Italy leaving them very short upright (Just Pelle, possibly Rodriguez and Gallagher, who only debuted against City [I think] last season).
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum