The new season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The new season

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm aching for the new season to start in this blisteringly hot, cricket playing summer, but I'm just wondering how events will unfold for us in the forthcoming campaign and what we would hope/settle for, in terms of success.

We'll be starting the season with some new players who will have to become accustomed to our style of play pretty quickly and, added to this, we've some injury concerns before we even kick off proceedings.

Our competitors have also changed and strengthened :-

Butthead might be able to re-galvanise the Scum to put their abysmal efforts of last season behind them.

We all know that Rodgers is a managerial and tactical genius and he could prove to be the most astute operator in the transfer market....or not.

Pochettino might be able to work his magic on the good players that Spurs already have, irrespective of any more who might go to that Club.

Arsene Whinger SHOULD have finally improved his perpetual fourth place chasing outfit with the money he is finally having to spend and then there's Chelsea who will be far stronger than last season now that Mourinho is sorting his squad out and getting them playing to his requirements. He'll also be desperate to get 'revenge' against his old opponent Pellegrini, for putting him in the shade, last season, with the terrific achievements our Chilean maestro clocked up.

Moreover, Chelsea could well be the favourites to take the title, at least with the 'bookies'.

We will still be the team to beat, although I just hope our Manager doesn't suffer some sort of second-season syndrome and we fail do ourselves justice in defending our title.

On that basis, my own hopes for the new campaign would be that we continue to play the same, attacking football as per last season and I would like us also to be the leading goalscorers. I'd like a decent run in the Champions League and to improve upon previous records and, moreover, not to go out of our two domestic cups at too early a stage, although taking the opportunity to 'blood' some of our younger players in those games.

Overall, if we play with style, skill and creativity I'll be happy and if any trophies come our way at the end of all this, then that's an extra blessing.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: The new season

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Quadruple or Die.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Champions league please. Only thing we've not won and would be the ultimate way to put this club on the world map.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:36 pm

It depends if we can reignite the passion, straight after the World Cup.

Our rivals have strengthened in attacking areas whereas we have been more practical. Strikers etc inspire, defenders don't. But Jovetic is almost a new signing in that respect. I would also like to see one or two of the kids involved in attack, it gives everyone a boost.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ashton287 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 pm

At this stage a trophy is a must. Whichever one, we just have to win a trophy and keep the momentum going. Win the league with a bit of breathing space (I fancy a bet on winning it with 2 games left).

More clean sheets. Better showing in the champions league, go and attack no matter who we play and don't fuck with our style and get bummed like last year.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm

ashton287 wrote:At this stage a trophy is a must. Whichever one, we just have to win a trophy and keep the momentum going. Win the league with a bit of breathing space (I fancy a bet on winning it with 2 games left).

More clean sheets. Better showing in the champions league, [b]go and attack no matter who we play[/b] and don't fuck with our style and get bummed like last year.

Exactly.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Quadruple or Die.

Cheers

Nothing, if not forthright; which is exactly what we would expect from you, Doomie.

Without being unduly pessimistic, IMHO next season is shaping up to be very, very hard and actually winning anything could well take some doing.

The League itself might be an absolute street-fight and the brawlers and bruisers of this world (Chelsea ??) might be the ones who are most successful. In the Champions League, it could well be 'dog eat dog', with sides lining up to ambush us at every turn.

When all is considered though, it could well be a rivetting and enthralling season.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:17 am

I'd pick us in a street fight against Chelsea, especially if Mangler actually signs (or we get the ok to tell everyone he has signed). I see it being a difficult season for everyone too though, in an ideal world we would get past the last 16 in Europe and defend our title and I would be happy beyond measure with that.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Tesl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:02 am

I just want us to win the league again, that's the only competition I *really* care about.

Any other trophies would of course be welcome, but I really hope we don't cause harm to our league campaign by over prioritising the CL.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby ruralblue » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 am

On a simular thread last year I put the demand of 'the league and a cup or I'm off to support Yeovil'. Pellers obviously read my comment so this year please I would like the same but with a semi final un the champions league.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Slim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 am

I want 6 points from Sunderland, also both wins to be 10-0 or better and to send them down no matter when the match comes up.

Also the double over Everton would be nice.

As for our competition, Chelsea will be the real challengers this season I believe, Liverpool cannot possibly be that lucky with injuries again this season and Suarez gave them a level of consistency they won't find with Sturridge and Lambert. Arsenal might sneak third but in all honesty, who else is waiting for "when" they shoot themselves in the foot and not "if"? The rags are not nearly as poor a side as we'd like to believe or Moyes made them look last season, nor are they as good as Bacon made them look two seasons ago, I think they'll make the top 4 a close run thing but can't see Liverpool dropping that much. Spurs will fade away now they have spunked away the Bale money and finish a distant 6th with Everton and Stoke(yes, Stoke) close behind.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:39 am

It's going to be an interesting season.

After seeing that last friendly I am very excited....esp if we do not sign/do not send on loan the Nigerian kid, Zucchini and a couple of others. Like someone else said further up the thread, I can also see some of these youngsters getting some games thie year and I think I can't wait to get behind them. It DOES make it more exciting seeing some real prospects get a crack at the first team.

What's the craic with Pozo btw? Does anyone know if he's back fit.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Pellegrini is going to pull another "Nasri" improvement out of one of our peripheral players.....someone like Sinclair

I can't wait for it all to start.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:43 am

ant london wrote:It's going to be an interesting season.

After seeing that last friendly I am very excited....esp if we do not sign/do not send on loan the Nigerian kid, Zucchini and a couple of others. Like someone else said further up the thread, I can also see some of these youngsters getting some games thie year and I think I can't wait to get behind them. It DOES make it more exciting seeing some real prospects get a crack at the first team.

What's the craic with Pozo btw? Does anyone know if he's back fit.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Pellegrini is going to pull another "Nasri" improvement out of one of our peripheral players.....someone like Sinclair

I can't wait for it all to start.

Pozo, I believe, has just recently started serious training again (spotted in the background on a video I think).

If the Count pulls a rabbit out of the hat with Sinclair then he is a true genius but you never know. I like the look of Boyata so far. He is trying to be decisive & commanding rather than the frightened mouse look we have seen in recent seasons.

Re Slim's mention of the rags: I had them down for top 4 but I've just seen their game v Roma, & if that was City I would be terrified. They actually looked much worse than Moyes' team. Early days but fucking hell. Van Kneck is blaming the air inside the stadium for their lack of passing skill.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:52 am

A proper title defence this time. A QF place minimum in the CL, after that, who knows. If we get that and the scum finish 5th I'll be mildly delighted. I should be beyond caring what that shower of shit does by now really but this pre-season those cunts had a chance just to shut up and get on with preparing for this campaign without any brainless posturing and their media chums gobbing off...but no, they couldnt resist. I fucking despise them.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:16 am

Besides winning the league of course I very much wish for someone of those who have been here a while now, like rodwell or Sinclair or Boyata to make a leap forward. With all three players it feels a bit like wanting water to turn into gold through will power but they all obviously have something, otherwise they never would've come here in the first place.

Fernandinho top scoring midfielder in the team

Dzeko scoring the most goal in the league
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 am

I would like to retain the league title more than anything, just because it's so incredibly difficult to do.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:02 am

Tesl wrote:I just want us to win the league again, that's the only competition I *really* care about.

Any other trophies would of course be welcome, but I really hope we don't cause harm to our league campaign by over prioritising the CL.

Ditto. Though I do want another day at Wembley!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I would like to retain the league title more than anything, just because it's so incredibly difficult to do.

Me too....I want us to ram it down the throats all those journalist cocksuckers who do everything they can to knock us and belittle us.

I saw us referred to in the paper the other day as "last season's champions". I'm sorry, call me paranoid, but the munes NEVER got that. Always "the champions". Cunts
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:31 am

ant london wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I would like to retain the league title more than anything, just because it's so incredibly difficult to do.

Me too....I want us to ram it down the throats all those journalist cocksuckers who do everything they can to knock us and belittle us.

I saw us referred to in the paper the other day as "last season's champions". I'm sorry, call me paranoid, but the munes NEVER got that. Always "the champions". Cunts

'Reigning Champions' is the usual description. The media are certainly hurting - let's hope it continues.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby sheblue » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Now with pelligrini a season under his belt things should be more settled so less silly away defeats in the league, and not handing chelski 6 points will help us retain title.
A CL is win probably too much for this team.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum