Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

There can be only one.

Hummels
52%
Mangala
48%

Total votes : 54

Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 pm

If both were an option for us, which one would you prefer to see in a Blue shirt? And why, if you care to mention.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Looks 100% Hummels then. Cut and dried.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:33 pm

The Mangler because he seems to suit our style of play better.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:The Mangler because he seems to suit our style of play better.

Does he? Do Porto play the high line or is that Dortmund's game?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 pm

As the Mangala deal is done, and Hummels isn't for sale anyway despite what the Rag loving media would have you believe, this isn't a subject worth debating.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:As the Mangala deal is done, and Hummels isn't for sale anyway despite what the Rag loving media would have you believe, this isn't a subject worth debating.

Close thread.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm

From watching him last season Beefy, albeit only in Europa League, he reminds me of Kompany when he first rocked up at City, all the right attributes but can be a bit rash in his decision making.

I think pace is an important factor when it comes to playing in Pellegrini's high risk system and that's where my doubts with Hummels would lie. If for example we were still playing Mancini's more withdrawn style then I'd probably vote for Hummels.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:19 pm

hummels or vermaelen?
to partner jones or smalling...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:hummels or vermaelen?
to deputise for jones and smalling...

Fixed your post.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby twosips » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Hummels is a good player, but he ain't all that. He's very, very slow and one of those kinda passive 'cultured' defenders who gets away with a lot cos he's cool and plays for a hipster team. Helps that he's incredibly good looking too i guess. He's like a better Vertonghen or Nastasic but both of them are naff anyway. Hummels got done for pace a fair few times for the German team and it was a bit embarrassing how slowly he turned.

Mangala seems raw as fuck, but he's at least a bit of a beast and I think he'll suit our system.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby lovecity8utd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I voted for the mangler as he appears to be the man wanted by the club and I'm trusting their judgment.
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Joleon isnt fast and IMHO him and Vinny were one of our best partnerships,Vinny would cover Hummels lack of real pace.

If you're intelligent you can read the game.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:From watching him last season Beefy, albeit only in Europa League, he reminds me of Kompany when he first rocked up at City, all the right attributes but can be a bit rash in his decision making.

I think pace is an important factor when it comes to playing in Pellegrini's high risk system and that's where my doubts with Hummels would lie. If for example we were still playing Mancini's more withdrawn style then I'd probably vote for Hummels.

Firstly, I'm not sure where this assertion that Hummels is a donkey comes from. I'm fairly certain that if he had a foot race with DM then there'd only be one outcome, and we've all seen how DM can manage without pace. I shouldn't have to mention Hummels attributes, they speak for themselves, but I'd rather see someone who can read the game, get into position and cut out any threat that somebody who can get to the halfway line a second quicker. I also think that of we had Hummels next to Vinnie we'd have the best CB pairing in the world.

This all hypothetical of course and I can't see Dortmund letting him go for anywhere near what the papers are saying. Double it and add a few quid on top and they'd be a little closer and if it was me, I'd be spending the money there rather than Mangala. Not to say Mangala cannot be as good in our team, just that I rate Hummels as one of the best CB in the business, and he's got a lot o time to spare.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 pm

lovecity8utd wrote:I voted for the mangler as he appears to be the man wanted by the club and I'm trusting their judgment.

But would prefer London to Manchester.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Just a point of note. I'm expecting a huge response for Manny as he is the one linked with us as well as Hummels to the Rags. If we get any kind of objective debate I'd be very surprised.

Thinking about it, I may have a scan on 'Hummels' and see what that brings, the same as Mangala pre-possible City move.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby twosips » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Just a point of note. I'm expecting a huge response for Manny as he is the one linked with us as well as Hummels to the Rags. If we get any kind of objective debate I'd be very surprised.

Thinking about it, I may have a scan on 'Hummels' and see what that brings, the same as Mangala pre-possible City move.

So basically, because some people have said something other than what you want to hear you've decided that most are just biased and not objective, like you - an entirely objective poster (obviously) who hasn't brought any preconceptions at all about other people's opinions into this thread?

If only we could all be as unbiased and as objective as you....
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 pm

twosips wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just a point of note. I'm expecting a huge response for Manny as he is the one linked with us as well as Hummels to the Rags. If we get any kind of objective debate I'd be very surprised.

So basically, because some people have said something other than what you want to hear you've decided that most are just biased and not objective, like you - an entirely objective poster (obviously) who hasn't brought any preconceptions at all about other people's opinions into this thread?

If only we could all be as unbiased and as objective as you....

Don't be silly, I'm as bad as the next man and am touting Hummels over Mangala. I thought that was obvious.

But by your response ........

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Also, how many of us have actually watched Mangala on a regular basis, who can really judge on his attributes apart from watching Youtube or reading Wiki?

I'll openly admit that I'd never really heard of him until he was linked with us last year.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 pm

I don't disagree with the point made about reading the game or that Hummels is an top class defender but just feel having watched both that Mangala would be a better fit for us.

Can I ask Beefy, have you seen much of Mangala?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't disagree with the point made about reading the game or that Hummels is an top class defender but just feel having watched both that Mangala would be a better fit for us.

Can I ask Beefy, have you seen much of Mangala?

No, not much at all mate, as mentioned above. I have no issues with Mangala and from his photo he looks like a thoroughly likeable chap but when it comes down to it many on here have always put experience and class over talent.

Mangala looks a decent talent and looks like he has a better chance than most to make it at the top level but if I had a choice of one of the best CBs in the world partnering Vinnie or one of the possible best CBs in the world then I know who I'd choose.

I also believe that Hummels would make an excellent foil for Vinnie who likes to get forward when needed, covering that area and backing up his CB partner no end.

As I said, it's hypothetical as I think the Rag link is tenuous at best, it's just the thought that Manny would be seen as a better option over a player of Hummels ability.

Mangala must have shown real class to those who regularly watch him, that's all I can say.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum