Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

There can be only one.

Hummels
52%
Mangala
48%

Total votes : 54

Re: Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 am

phips wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:On a similar note, is there anybody else out there that people prefer to either of the mentioned. Subotic mentioned a few times.

i was wondering something similar.

who, aside from Vinnie, do people consider the best center back in the world?

Everyone would have said Thiago Silva until they actually saw him play. Gone down 50% now imo.

Pepe was the best last season imo. Did a fantastic job covering for Ramos, regularly winning 1v1s against people like Messi after they ran past Ramos(unlike Hummels who just ran alongside him for ten yards like a pregnant walrus, then watched him fuck off). Pepe last season did exactly what we need a player to do behind Vinny. A bit lacking in the air perhaps but I recon he'd get that after a few games. Too late now but would have been a great signing.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Fuck all great about Pepe, thug, German All day long, reads the game better than most at the back, Ted when have you seen him done for pace, we had two goes at him and did nothing. He never got done at the W.C and muller end your fucking mate for his goal. Pepe is well past his sell bye date. Cheers
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Fuck all great about Pepe, thug, German All day long, reads the game better than most at the back, Ted when have you seen him done for pace, we had two goes at him and did nothing. He never got done at the W.C and muller end your fucking mate for his goal. Pepe is well past his sell bye date. Cheers

Yes he did, plenty of times & I bet plenty more on here saw it & will vouch for it If you didn't notice, then it explains why you have a fetish for slothful cbs.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Now now, you know better than that, we have a world class CB plus a fantastic veteran in MDM Hummels is the future , whoever signs him gets a pro for close on 10 yrs, proven at the highest level, Klopp has said going nowhere, that said he is as with most BVB players with a tag on, getting all arseey is not called for and ruins my great view of Meze harbour, fact is he is class, fuck all else to say, mango is behind him whichever way you dice it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Is he fuck the future.

He's slow & last ditch. If you have a side which plays deep he's quite good in the air etc & you can protect him. If he played for us he would get fucking destroyed. The best defender for the Germans in that final was Jerome Boateng. Everybody knows this. Why people are persisting with this bullshit about Hummels absolutely baffles me. He's not even the best cb at Dortmund.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Is he fuck the future.

He's slow & last ditch. If you have a side which plays deep he's quite good in the air etc & you can protect him. If he played for us he would get fucking destroyed. The best defender for the Germans in that final was Jerome Boateng. Everybody knows this. Why people are persisting with this bullshit about Hummels absolutely baffles me. He's not even the best cb at Dortmund.

and the other CB at Dortmund isn't fucking Speedy Gonzalez either.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

and the other CB at Dortmund isn't fucking Speedy Gonzalez either.

cheers

No, but he's better than that cunt. He was the big flavour last year, & Hummels was slow & unreliable, then he got exposed as not very good & Hummels went to the world cup, now it's fucking Hummels.

It's all gone fucking quiet on the Vertonghen front....for now.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Hummels played very well throughout the whole tournament and even though Boateng had more to do during the final I wouldn't put Boateng infront of Hummels based on your insistance that he was 'Better for one game'.

So, Hummels is shit, I get it Ted. If that's the case, I'd suggest nobody is going to please you because if you had the ultimate A1 defender, there'd never be a goal scored against his team. Shame the reality is far from what is being said.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Hummels is good in the air, ok on the ball and utterly, desperately, slow. Some teams get away with that kind of thing. Most of the people sucking his dick now, were sucking his mate's dick this time last year. Suddenly it's Hummels instead. Basically because of the World Cup vs shit teams.

If you think that kind of player is what City need then good luck. I recon the blokes in charge don't.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Hummels is good in the air, ok on the ball and utterly, desperately, slow. Some teams get away with that kind of thing. Most of the people sucking his dick now, were sucking his mate's dick this time last year. Suddenly it's Hummels instead. Basically because of the World Cup vs shit teams.

If you think that kind of player is what City need then good luck. I recon the blokes in charge don't.

I've always thought that Hummels is a good intelligent footballer who is rightly classed as one of the best in the world. Being a CB has never been about pace but all of a sudden you've changed the script to suit your debate. Like Lescott, I seem to remember that people would always defend him by saying that 'He didn't need pace or skill, he's a fucking defender and just needs to get the ball away'. Did you ever see those words Ted?

Like Lescott, Hummels has his flaws, just like about every other CB in the world, but what he lacks he makes up in other areas such as reading of the game, intellect and character. It's not just about your pace, it's about what you do on the field of play and how you inspire the people around you. Hummels has got what it takes and has proved it on the field of play, is that not good enough for you Ted, proving it on the biggest stage?

From a lad binned by Bayern and then goes onto win 2 Bundesliga titles with an unfashionable team, against the might of his previous club, and then go onto be a major part of a World Cup winning team, he's got to have something, surely. But no, alas, players such as Hummels deserve nothing more than a slap down while a young French lad who's, well, done relatively fuck all, gets a better showing.

Poor Lescott eh, I now understand how some saw him as a fucking donkey. With your rationale, the majority of CBs are shite because they are just not Linford Christie.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Hummels is good in the air, ok on the ball and utterly, desperately, slow. Some teams get away with that kind of thing. Most of the people sucking his dick now, were sucking his mate's dick this time last year. Suddenly it's Hummels instead. Basically because of the World Cup vs shit teams.

I've always thought that Hummels is a good intelligent footballer who is rightly classed as one of the best in the world. Being a CB has never been about pace but all of a sudden you've changed the script to suit your debate. Like Lescott, I seem to remember that people would always defend him by saying that 'He didn't need pace or skill, he's a fucking defender and just needs to get the ball away'. Did you ever see those words Ted?

Like Lescott, Hummels has his flaws, just like about every other CB in the world, but what he lacks he makes up in other areas such as reading of the game, intellect and character. It's not just about your pace, it's about what you do on the field of play and how you inspire the people around you. Hummels has got what it takes and has proved it on the field of play, is that not good enough for you Ted, proving it on the biggest stage?

From a lad binned by Bayern and then goes onto win 2 Bundesliga titles with an unfashionable team, against the might of his previous club, and then go onto be a major part of a World Cup winning team, he's got to have something, surely. But no, alas, players such as Hummels deserve nothing more than a slap down while a young French lad who's, well, done relatively fuck all, gets a better showing.

Poor Lescott eh, I now understand how some saw him as a fucking donkey. With your rationale, the majority of CBs are shite because they are just not Linford Christie.

No I didn't say that at all. I think Lescott had decent pace & skill & NEVER just 'got the ball away' unless there was no other option. His pass completion rate was fucking excellent throughout his City career. It's cunts on here who said he's slow & can't play; not me. And he was 2 yards quicker than Hummels. Had he been as slow as Hummels, he would have been fucking dogshit, but he was much quicker, so only the quickest players 'ran' him, the same who sometimes did similar to Vincent.

Still though, I wouldn't pick Lescott to play Pellegrini's system. I would have kept him as he is better than Nasti or Rekik but I certainly wouldn't sign him to play in this team. I'd want someone two yards quicker ( 4 yards quicker than Hummels).

Hummels is too slow for our team & also gets caught in no mans land a lot. Most on here didn't rate him a year ago & wanted Subotic. Now they suddenly want Hummels. I don't.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm

To suggest Hummels is shit, to my mind is taking the piss sorry, He has just added the W.C to his collection. I was one who said this time last year MDM will be great signing Hummels would in my humble opinion be a perfect fit.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

No I didn't say that at all. I think Lescott had decent pace & skill & NEVER just 'got the ball away' unless there was no other option. His pass completion rate was fucking excellent throughout his City career. It's cunts on here who said he's slow & can't play; not me. And he was 2 yards quicker than Hummels. Had he been as slow as Hummels, he would have been fucking dogshit, but he was much quicker, so only the quickest players 'ran' him, the same who sometimes did similar to Vincent.

Still though, I wouldn't pick Lescott to play Pellegrini's system. I would have kept him as he is better than Nasti or Rekik but I certainly wouldn't sign him to play in this team. I'd want someone two yards quicker ( 4 yards quicker than Hummels).

Hummels is too slow for our team & also gets caught in no mans land a lot. Most on here didn't rate him a year ago & wanted Subotic. Now they suddenly want Hummels. I don't.

To be fair mate, not many do want Hummels, its a hypothetical debate led by the hatred that we have for the Rags (fuck them getting him).

That was probably your best post on the thread, relaxed, I like it. The only question for me is that your only consideration is to do with pace when many would argue that the likes of Gareth Barry (all hail) didn't actually need it.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

To be fair mate, not many do want Hummels, its a hypothetical debate led by the hatred that we have for the Rags (fuck them getting him).

That was probably your best post on the thread, relaxed, I like it. The only question for me is that your only consideration is to do with pace when many would argue that the likes of Gareth Barry (all hail) didn't actually need it.

It isn't only to do with pace. A Prem cb also needs to be good in the air. If he can do those two things plus has decent tackling ability, a good touch & is relatively intelligent, then it should be possible to learn the rest. If however he is dead slow, or shit in the air, the team has to be set up to compensate.

That's what the rags will have to do if they sign Hummels, wheras when Wio was younger, or Stam was there, they could chuck everyone forward & know there was a decent chance the cbs would cover it, even when it looked realy dangerous, & most of the time, they did.

Txiki says he values intelligence more than anything else, so I'm assuming we haven't signed a French Phil Jones, but someone capable of learning, & fast, great in the air, with very good feet.

I have been saying since day 1, we need a quick cb & some athletic box to box midfielders in order to move up a level. I was saying that when Lescott was there. If we signed a sloth, I would be gutted as that would mean years more panic whenever we play v pace.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am

Beefymcfc wrote:On a similar note, is there anybody else out there that people prefer to either of the mentioned. Subotic mentioned a few times.

I've mentioned this before in another thread but I quite like that Argentinian centre-back Ezekial Garay.

Thought he dovetailed well with MDM when the two of them were paired together.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

I've mentioned this before in another thread but I quite like that Argentinian centre-back Ezekial Garay.

Thought he dovetailed well with MDM when the two of them were paired together.

He did ok & is one of many who would suit City better than Hummels but hopefully Mangala will prove to be better still.

Incidentally, Daniel Agger scored a late goal tother day. I seem to remember he was the choice of plenty on here a few seasons ago. Ballplaying, paceless, ideal replacement for Lescott if I remember rightly, guffaw.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm

This thread should be summarized as:

Can you play a highline with slow CBs? (as in Dortmund's alleged approach)

I think the answer should be, from any manager, probably not.

Do Dortmund get away with it? Is their style really a highline of defense or is it more based upon a pressing style that eliminates some of the risk of having slow-footed CBs playing a pressing style at times? Altho they aren't really the best defensive team to look at as an example, are they?

Regardless, i'd prefer this french kid to Hummels all day long. He and Vinny can create an interesting partnership i think, whereas i'd have kept Jolene for another season or two instead of splashing out 20-30M on a slower CB who seems more glamorous because of his hipster pedigree at Dortmund and Germany.

I think Ted and I are the only two who seem to agree that Pepe would have been worth spending money on last summer, and potentially even this summer if the price was right.

I'll be pleased if le Mangler rocks up here per the video, and takes his shirt off and just fucking crushes it.

Viva le Mangler.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Doomy, haven't you heard, Manny's signed up, this thread is no longer valid.

BTW, Hummels won, Manny lost, and Pepe has gone for a Pee-pee.

Cheers

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby The Italian Job » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:37 pm

It's only official if it's visible on the OS* or reported by Cheshire Today.

*without hackig
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:11 pm

The Italian Job wrote:It's only official if it's visible on the OS* or reported by Cheshire Today.

*without hackig

I don't believe anything until it's on Cheshire Today. They've just dismissed the link to Drogba. That's good enough for me.

Pity they missed he part that he'd just signed for Chelsea ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum