Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

There can be only one.

Hummels
52%
Mangala
48%

Total votes : 54

Re: Poll: Hummels or Mangala?

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am

blues2win wrote:This whole thread was based on a false premise that Hummels was available and at 16 million. Therefore Txiki is a complete idiot at not snapping him up. Absolute bollocks from the Press. If the scum want him they'll have to pay a huge sum out so the argument that Mangala is poor value is utter rubbish. Txiki and co know far more about Mangala than anyone on this forum why can't people have a bit of faith in them?

This whole thread isn't based on the 16 mil figure, it is a debate about the 2 differing players which will inevitably spark discussion regarding the price tag (which I've already called bullshit a number of times).

And to answer your question, I believe most Blues do have faith in the people running the club, how can't we. But the 32 million quoted for Mangala seems very high and once again, I call bullshit. The figure reported seems to keep inline with our FFP requirements and once/if this transfer goes through, I'm sure there is a second part to the reported story/figure that is still to be diseminated by the Blue hating press.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 am

Didn't vote in this poll because I don't really want either of them, not that they are not good players but, at the risk of being tendentiously boring; as I've stated on a number of previous occasions I'd much rather we spent the money instead on another forward.

We're an attacking, goal-scoring side and if we get any injury problems in defence, we can surely cobble together some sort of permutation to suffice and carry us through. Moreover, our much maligned back line didn't do too badly last season when all is considered (only Chelsea conceded fewer goals than ourselves).

If, however, we are ravaged by injury 'up front' (Jovetic and Aguero especially spring to mind) then we are going to really struggle in this coming season so, for me, we've got to spend our FFP limited transfer pot in a sensible way and bring in another striker.

Given his outlook on how he wants to play football, I'm surprised Mr. Pellegrini isn't looking at the summer transfer window in this light.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:36 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Didn't vote in this poll because I don't really want either of them, not that they are not good players but, at the risk of being tendentiously boring; as I've stated on a number of previous occasions I'd much rather we spent the money instead on another forward.

We're an attacking, goal-scoring side and if we get any injury problems in defence, we can surely cobble together some sort of permutation to suffice and carry us through. Moreover, our much maligned back line didn't do too badly last season when all is considered (only Chelsea conceded fewer goals than ourselves).

If, however, we are ravaged by injury 'up front' (Jovetic and Aguero especially spring to mind) then we are going to really struggle in this coming season so, for me, we've got to spend our FFP limited transfer pot in a sensible way and bring in another striker.

Given his outlook on how he wants to play football, I'm surprised Mr. Pellegrini isn't looking at the summer transfer window in this light.

You think it's possible to keep five strikers happy?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am

Actually come to think of it Mikhail, perhaps starting a new thread on the topic of bringing in another forward may be the best way to go rather than going off topic in this one, it could be titled 'Chigorin's Chagrin', what say you?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Actually come to think of it Mikhail, perhaps starting a new thread on the topic of bringing in another forward may be the best way to go rather than going off topic in this one, it could be titled 'Chigorin's Chagrin', what say you?

Point taken about me going 'off-topic' - I stand corrected and gently chastised.

Thank you for the gracious way you brought this to my attention.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Didn't vote in this poll because I don't really want either of them, not that they are not good players but, at the risk of being tendentiously boring; as I've stated on a number of previous occasions I'd much rather we spent the money instead on another forward.

I'd use the same argument right back at you - that we coped, for the majority of last season with either 2 or 3 fit strikers at any given time, so why can't we do so again?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:

I'd use the same argument right back at you - that we coped, for the majority of last season with either 2 or 3 fit strikers at any given time, so why can't we do so again?

A nice rejoinder, Spartacus.

At the moment we've only one consistently available striker in Dzeko, together with two problematically fit ones in Jovetic and Aguero.

We might manage to "cope" with such brittle and reduced firepower, even over the length of a season, but we'd probably have to become a more defensive outfit to do so, playing on the break, using the long ball more and hoping for goals from set-pieces and corners. We'd probably have to settle for uncharacteristically grinding out results and winning games by the single goal and hoping all the while that Dzeko didn't get injured. At the same time, we'd be praying that, when he finally returned to the team, Negredo would be the player he was during the first part of last season which, unfortunately, is not guaranteed.

In effect, we could become more like Mourinho's Chelsea and not the flamboyant, attacking side we all love under Pellegrini.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby twosips » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 am

Mikhail - we're also a centre back down. Rekik won't stay and Lescott has gone. We can't go into a season with Kompany, Nastasic (both hugely injury prone) and a 33 year old Demichelis who hasn't had a summer break. It'd be foolish.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Tesl » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote: at the risk of being tendentiously boring; as I've stated on a number of previous occasions I'd much rather we spent the money instead on another forward.

Mate with all due respect I think you've posted this particular opinion about ten thousand times.

If we are strongest in attack, then it doesn't make much sense to me to start messing with that too much, we should improve the team where it is the weakest. We are already completely fine when it comes to attacking talent and signing more players there wont help much.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City

Postby beehive's dodgy pint » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I understand both arguments in terms of strengthening up front or at the back. Bit of a moving feast in terms of people getting injured etc. My head says defensive cover needed. My heart says lets get another top notch striker in and worry about keeping an injured Negrado, Aguero or Jovetic happy. We are an attack minded side and I worry about striker cover. We got away with it last season relying on stellar performances from Silva and Yaya. Not sure we will get that again consistently. Also, can we not hope that someone like Nastasic does a Kolarov. i.e. goes from ropey to half decent over the course of a pre-season? This may assist us in defensive issues if he steps up, or if MDM keps getting better and better.
beehive's dodgy pint
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Non contest.If we were not so heavily linked with Mangala and this question was asked, I'm pretty sure everyone would pick Hummels.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Non contest.If we were not so heavily linked with Mangala and this question was asked, I'm pretty sure everyone would pick Hummels.

I'm 100% sure you're wrong. If we weren't linked with Mangala then I wouldn't have taken an interest in him which means I wouldn't have watched him play therefore I wouldn't have voted.

I think people are ignoring the point of who would better suit us, I may be wrong but that's how it seems.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby s1ty m » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Mangala is badly overpriced, but has pace. That alone puts him ahead of Hummels who is very slow.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby twosips » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 pm

One big plus point for Mangala by the way is he's left footed. Perfect foil for Vinnie.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Tesl wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote: at the risk of being tendentiously boring; as I've stated on a number of previous occasions I'd much rather we spent the money instead on another forward.

Mate with all due respect I think you've posted this particular opinion about ten thousand times.

If we are strongest in attack, then it doesn't make much sense to me to start messing with that too much, we should improve the team where it is the weakest. We are already completely fine when it comes to attacking talent and signing more players there wont help much.

I did allude to this "ten thousand times" overkill by saying I was being tendentiously boring so, from now on, I'll say nothing more on this subject, other than to hope I'm worrying needlessly about this aspect of the forthcoming season. I just hope you guys are all correct in your assessment of our squad needs and I'm utterly and completely wrong.

To get back, however, to the Hummels/Mangala discussion, I just wonder if Neven Subotic would have entered the equation if he hadn't been badly injured last season to, effectively, fall below the radar, as it were.

On that basis, the poll might have been a three-way split and, personally, I would have opted for Subotic. However, in a straight choice between Hummels and Mangala, I honestly don't know which one I would prefer but, if forced, I might just go for Hummels.

However, all such considerations could be merely academic.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm

On a similar note, is there anybody else out there that people prefer to either of the mentioned. Subotic mentioned a few times.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:On a similar note, is there anybody else out there that people prefer to either of the mentioned. Subotic mentioned a few times.

Nyet on Subotic...slow, not a ball playing CB from what i've seen. He makes Kompany actually look like Beckenbauer, no?

Left footed.
Pacy.
Ball Playing.
Great in the air.

Check those boxes please and you'll find our next great CB i hope.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

David Luiz checks all of them. I think you should add 'Has a brain' to the list.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby phips » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 am

Beefymcfc wrote:On a similar note, is there anybody else out there that people prefer to either of the mentioned. Subotic mentioned a few times.

i was wondering something similar.

who, aside from Vinnie, do people consider the best center back in the world?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 am

Green & Blue wrote:Non contest.If we were not so heavily linked with Mangala and this question was asked, I'm pretty sure everyone would pick Hummels.

And if you asked it last year none of them would pick him, they would all say he was shit & pick Subotic for filling all the big fucking holes left by Hummels.

Flavour
Of
The
Month.

Vertonghen anybody ? Must be his turn again next, until he does something abominable again, then we can all go back to Vermalen (at least he's a bit quicker & shit).

If it's slow cbs were looking for btw, that Uruguayan bloke at Atletico pisses on Hummels as a defender.

Don't want him either though. We already have MDM in the role of slow cb & he's just proved to everyone he's better than Hummels, right in front of all of you. Imo, the bloke who played next to him is also better than Hummels, but wouldn't want him either.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum