Gerrard retires from international football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Gerrard retires from international football

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am

Well it's a start. Thank fuck for that. Although what are the odds he has another season where he scores a 1000 penalties and then media beg him to come out of retirement and save England?
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Gerrard retires from international football

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am

Thought he did that before the world cup.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am

He will have more time to be injured for Liverpool now.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 am

Why has it taken him a month to reach this decision? Shouldve done it immediately after that Uruguay disaster but instead he stayed on, got another meaningless and wasted cap in a testimonial vs Costa Rica.

Time for Lampard to do the same as well, what the hell is he waiting for?
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

Who now for captain?

Shrek is the unfortunate default choice. How someone like that ever has the chance even, to be captain of my country, I'll never know. It's depressing.

Thanks Gerrard. For fuck all. This supposed Golden Generation with him at the forefront with Beckham, Lampard and Scoles failed to deliver time and again. A self centred cunt who was out for himself everytime. How have th FA given him an ambassadorial role as well. Ambassador for what? Affray? Lying to the police? Just being a general twat? I for one am not sorry to see him go and the sooner he retires fullstop, the better.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

Thankfully another over-rated England player packs in before overhauling a true great for the all time caps record. I'm also not a fan of all this "retiring" from international football, like you are doing people a favour turning up. It should be the manager looking ahead, and being single minded enough to say "thanks, but im going to rebuild now"...instead, Hodgson, weak fuck, instead of telling him this after the uruguay game lets gerrard have even more exposure. No matter that our pool of players is rather small and average, there is enough there not to keep picking players like lampard and gerrard who are fucking past it...and the manager should be doing the retiring of these players. You know who will be captain now, rooney, this cunt couldnt captain a lego boat in a nursery so he can fuck off as well.
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:Thankfully another over-rated England player packs in before overhauling a true great for the all time caps record. I'm also not a fan of all this "retiring" from international football, like you are doing people a favour turning up. It should be the manager looking ahead, and being single minded enough to say "thanks, but im going to rebuild now"...instead, Hodgson, weak fuck, instead of telling him this after the uruguay game lets gerrard have even more exposure. No matter that our pool of players is rather small and average, there is enough there not to keep picking players like lampard and gerrard who are fucking past it...and the manager should be doing the retiring of these players. You know who will be captain now, rooney, this cunt couldnt captain a lego boat in a nursery so he can fuck off as well.

Spot on, albeit totally depressing.

Internationally, England are now a fourth or fifth rate nation and I don't see how we can ever improve and aspire to a level where we might provide some sort of valid opposition to the top countries.

We might as well pack up playing international football altogether, unless we can form some sort of 'no-hopers' League along with the likes of the Faroes, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino, Lichtenstein and Scotland.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby The Italian Job » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 pm

The saddest thing is, that all the young English midfielders are seemingly going the same way as the likes of Gerrard & Lampard. Wilshere is a shithead who tries to go past 3 players on his own constantly, Barkley, while an evidently gifted, talented player, does not possess the mindset to stick to circulating the ball or calming play & frankly would be a bit wasted in central midfield. Who else is there? Henderson, perhaps. Cleverley, average on a good day. Depressing.
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Heard a discussion on TS when dropping the Mrs off and they were debating who were the all-time great English captains. The fact that they were even talking about Stevie Starfish and BeckScum had me shake my head and turn the thing off.

Beckham, Gerrard, All-time Greats, you're having a fuking giraffe.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:Who now for captain?

Shrek is the unfortunate default choice. How someone like that ever has the chance even, to be captain of my country, I'll never know. It's depressing.

Thanks Gerrard. For fuck all. This supposed Golden Generation with him at the forefront with Beckham, Lampard and Scoles failed to deliver time and again. A self centred cunt who was out for himself everytime. How have th FA given him an ambassadorial role as well. Ambassador for what? Affray? Lying to the police? Just being a general twat? I for one am not sorry to see him go and the sooner he retires fullstop, the better.

Tbf to Scholes he was often played horribly out of position despite being arguably one of the best central midfielders anywhere and it's no wonder he quit.
The rest I agree with though.

As for the captain, well who really stands out? No one.

Gerrard leaving is a good thing and hopefully it will allow Barkley to make that position his own.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby MilnersJaw » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:12 pm

bad and good at the same time.

shrek more than likely to be made captain in some desperate attempt to get him to play 'well'.

which also means a guaranteed start.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby aaron bond » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 pm

It's a good thing he's retired as he's been poor for England for a long time now, but still a sad state of affairs that he has actually had to announce his retirement and the FA/management were trying to keep him in the side, despite yet more failure.

It's the same story after every World Cup/Euros - despite believing the 'superstars' will lead England to glory, they never do, yet the FA/management continue to go with the same players and methods.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum