Which is the best world cup ever?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Which is the best world cup ever?

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

As there is no accepted definition of makes a ‘great world cup’, everyone is free to select their own criteria, and for TV, it is inevitably the one they are currently showing. It’s a ‘beauty in the eye of the beholder situation’, and while we are each free to choose our own criteria, what appeals to one person might not appeal to another. As other posters have noted, it can depend as much on what was happening in our life at the time, how many of the games we were able to watch, where and who with, as on the actual football. For me, my favourite is the ‘Gazza’ tournament of 1990, when I was still playing myself (5 a-side after work, not professionally!), I was on a course with a lot of time to watch the games and before the PL and CL had robbed the game of characters like Gazza (before his violent, destructive phase) and Bobby Robson.

Although the bottom line is that any competition that does not feature vuvuzelas or the ‘England band’ must be half decent.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Seems a lot of peoples favourite World Cups are the first ones they watched in earnest. My first was Spain 82 which has a lot of great memories. Mexico 86 probably topped it and Italia 90 was enjoyable probably in no small part to England getting to the semis. This last tournament was decent. A lot of goals and some really exciting games. Much better than the last 3/4 cups imo.

Am too young to remember 70 and that great Brazil side but conventional theory suggests that one was the best tournament and the video footage certainly supports that with some superb individual and team performances
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby ruralblue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 pm

This one for me. Probably due to the fact it's been the first world cup since a kid where I have been able to watch nearly all the games. Shift patterns at work and technology have helped greatly. Have enjoyed it from start to finish.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm happy to say this one is my fav. Just edging 98 due to the fact that I was glued to my Telly through the group stage this time and just couldn't stop watching.

You might say the quality was poor, but when I'm enthrall we with Russia v Algeria it can't have been that bad can it? Netherlands v Spain was a spectacle, Aussie v Netherlands was captivating, Germany v Brazil and Argie v Netherlands were two polar opposite semis and I enjoyed both.

Now keep in mind I'm nearly 30 so 1990 was a blur, 94 I really enjoyed but was young and just wanted football. 98 was great, 2002 wasn't bad either. I enjoyed 2096, but there were more stinkers there. 2010 was god awful, truly tedious stuff. This one excited and suprised from early on and never really stopped.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 pm

twosips wrote:I'm too young to remember 1970 sadly...

You're all right old farts.

Right with you there, we're so young...umm.

In 2002 was Brazil winning over France?

Which ever it was, watching Ronaldo at the top of his game was a delight.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I'm happy to say this one is my fav. Just edging 98 due to the fact that I was glued to my Telly through the group stage this time and just couldn't stop watching.

You might say the quality was poor, but when I'm enthrall we with Russia v Algeria it can't have been that bad can it? Netherlands v Spain was a spectacle, Aussie v Netherlands was captivating, Germany v Brazil and Argie v Netherlands were two polar opposite semis and I enjoyed both.

Now keep in mind I'm nearly 30 so 1990 was a blur, 94 I really enjoyed but was young and just wanted football. 98 was great, 2002 wasn't bad either. I enjoyed 2096, but there were more stinkers there. 2010 was god awful, truly tedious stuff. This one excited and suprised from early on and never really stopped.

Any chance of a few results, might get a bet on for the grandkids.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Italia 90 because it's the first I remember. David oleary for the paddys, potato head against belgium, baggio's wonder goal, Cameroon all the way through (especially the foul on canniga), Spitting at Voller, Gazza's tears, Walter Zenga with all his clean sheets, Toto Schillaci looking like he was coked up all tournament. .... loved it!
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Probably first one I remember properly was '98.

I think this one has been my favorite of the lot.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Oh and Italia 90 had the best theme tune.... Pavarotti!!!
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm

And England had World in Motion!!!
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:30 am

Slim wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I'm happy to say this one is my fav. Just edging 98 due to the fact that I was glued to my Telly through the group stage this time and just couldn't stop watching.

Any chance of a few results, might get a bet on for the grandkids.

Snap
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby s1ty m » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 am

I think this latest tournament was mainly pap. the media kept insisting it as great, but I didn't see many great games, just mainly boring shite. We are spoiled because we watch City and the recent years have been pure entertainment.

The 1978 World Cup was magnificent. I also liked Italia 90.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:98 for me.
2002 was interesting for poor decisions
I don't remember too many games from either 2006 or 2010 even tho I know I've watched lots of games.
This one was fine, but I'd rather watch a random lower-end Prem match than your average game from it

Pretty similar for me. only had to make small tweaks and that's it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 am

1970 was a great World Cup especially, inter alia, for the emergence of a fine and talented Peruvian side.

1990 was good because, after a problematic start, England managed to play a little bit of football and we actually won something, albeit only the Fair Play Award. I watched most of the games on TV with my young nephew and I convinced him that the theme music was all about the Japanese car manufacturer Nissan building pre-fabricated dormer bungalows. Don't know if it was because of that but, afterwards, he went off to support Leeds United.

As a very, very young person, I enjoyed 1962 as there were some magnificent players featured in that tournament ( including, for instance, a young Gianni Rivera in the Italian squad), there was a bit of 'spice' (or should that be 'spite' ??) in the Battle of Santiago between Italy and Chile and Czechoslovakia (as they were then in existence) had a superb team with a great goalkeeper in Schroef, who performed wonderfully until the final, when he had an absolute nightmare.

Can't think of 1998 without recalling the ridiculously stupid action of a petulant and arrogant Beckscum.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby guv111 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:49 am

A great World Cup has to have more to it than loads of goals being scored in the group stages. It has to be about consistent drama, upsets and personal biases. There can't have been a more predictable World Cup than this last one once we reached the knock-out stages. Also, while most people write off Italia '90 as dull and boring, following the exploits of Bobby Robson's England more than made up for that as far as I was concerned.

In my mind's eye, Argentina '78 was full of excitement, but then it was my first World Cup watched in colour and I was thoroughly engrossed in it.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:08 am

This tournament wasn't as bad as South Africa, I don't any tournament can ever come close to being as bad as that tournament, but it wasn't great at all.

- Sure, the group stages offered a lot of goals but the goal production declined drastically in the knock out stages
- A 5 man defense can be a fantastic thing to watch and I've argued with mates that it's probably the best way to beat a team coached by Pep, but Costa Rica or Holland... I mean... shit... boring boring boring.
- Shit defenses. No wonder the goalies got a lot of attention this tournament with no or little protection from the four-five players right in front of them
- Badly organized teams. Germany, Costa Rica, sure, they were organized but the rest.... meh.
- Argentina. Instead of making this tournament a great one, Argentina sat back and expected Messi to do everything, or rather, they expected him to do everything after they threaded the ball to him onto a surface between the midfield and defense.
- Teams playing for penalties, a la Costa Rica and Argentina
- No Sweden
- Bad refereeing because FIFA basically wanted a more dangerous World Cup to get people more excited. Next tournament all teams should have to go down a half pipe during half time.
- FIFA Cooling breaks. I mean, why did the commentators have to keep referring to it like this? Breaks, water breaks or time outs are several other terms they could have used to spice it up a little.
- FIFA not payijg around 200 million dollars in taxes to the Brazilian government
- Commentators going "Brazilians love football" 5 billion times
- Several African football federations still being as corrupt as they were 20 years ago but people still blame the players for wanting a slice (It's a very enriching thing to be in a world cup, for a football federation that is, look it up) and then reverting to racial slurs.
- Commentators focusing on Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Pirlo, etc, when Football is A TEAM SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Balotelli not being as good as he was in 2012
- Commentators saying "Football is the most important thing to people in Brazil" a billion times
- Del Bosque getting his contract renewed until 2018 despite being a miserable manager
- Commentators screaming like they shat their pants whenever someone scored. Yeah, it's fun when latin american commentators do it or whatever, it's kind of their thing, but it's just annoying when you do it Chris.
- Chris Härenstam (you think you have it bad in the UK, import this fellow and enjoy)
- Did I mention that Messi and Neymar got a lot of attention from the commentators and the pundits?
- Hour long shows before and after games with no or little content except "let's analyse this goal, well it was nicely executed or badly defended, perhaps both, as is ALWAYS the case with football and did I mention that Messi is really good?"
- Jogi Löw didn't smoke during matches like in 2008
- Referees allowing people to play after getting knocked out, see my point about the half pipe
- Suarez biting himself out of the tournament and Agüero failing to score a single goal (I had both as top scorers)
- Boateng having a good world cup (I want him to fail so badly, I don''t really know why)
- You know what, go up to any Brazilian parant and ask them "would you want Brazil to win the WC and your children to go blind or your children to have perfect health and Brazil never to win the WC ever again" and I think most parents would choose the latter alternative. Could you stop going on and on about Football being the most important thing in Brazil?
- Strangely clad air stewardesses at the prize ceremony
- Sepp Blatter not getting pelted with rocks or chairs at the prize ceremony
- Bosnia going out early after a falsely disallowed goal by Dzeko
- The Ivory Coast playing as a team for like 5 minutes during the entire tournament and thereby failing to show their potential again
- Commentators referring to their mates' twitter accounts or basically any social media. Just go out and ask people instead what they think
- Fifa forcing Brazil to sell beer on their arenas despite having done away with alcohol at stadiums because of violence
- Little or no face time with the mascot in the studio
- Neymar claiming to have been nearly paralyzed by a knee in back.
- Klose not getting a golden statue for breaking the record of most goals scored in the WC
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 am

And now we have Russia & Qatar to look forward to.

Deep joy.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 am

Deep joy.

I don't know what is worse: Qatar getting to keep their tournament and having the WC played on stadiums that were built on the deaths of workers during slave like conditions or Qatar losing the right to hold the WC, and thereby meaning that all those immigrant labourers died for nothing. I honestly don't know what alternative feels more meaningless than the other.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Deep joy.

I don't know what is worse: Qatar getting to keep their tournament and having the WC played on stadiums that were built on the deaths of workers during slave like conditions or Qatar losing the right to hold the WC, and thereby meaning that all those immigrant labourers died for nothing. I honestly don't know what alternative feels more meaningless than the other.

removing it would be the right thing to do and serves them right! Letting them keep it rewards them for what they did!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:20 am

Wheras the Ruskies have a pretty clean slate on the whole.

Sepp has the bids in for the one after Qatar. So far North Korea is topping the list as Iran is too close to Qatar for consideration.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum