Mangala at last?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mangala at last?

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Koscielny to Arsenal aged 24: 8.5m
Sakho to Liverpool aged 23: 15m
Varane to Real aged 18: <8m

These three ahead of our man in Deschamp's team.

That said I have no idea what players are worth, but like the doomster says, the market does. Just glad it's not my money.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:00 pm

It is big shillings if true. Gotta trust the big wigs on this one. But one thing the lad needs is time.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby blues2win » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 pm

And for most people on this site it's the one thing he won't get!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:Koscielny to Arsenal aged 24: 8.5m

That said I have no idea what players are worth, but like the doomster says, the market does. Just glad it's not my money.

Try to buy Verane now & see how much the asking price, It will be more than Mangala. The comparison should be with similar rated players.

If Mangala doesn't turn out better than Sakho, or any of Arsenal's centre backs, I agree it was too much.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:That's it fella's, keep saying it like it's chicken feed and it'll be right. If Mangala turns out anything like CamelGob then he'll be worth the money (spits in disgust).

As for Luiz, why bother mentioning his name. PSG obviously pay the going rates for their players, surely!

Nobody said it was cheap. What I am saying is it is the going rate for a player of his reputation & age, as you have shown with the examples you have used.

The equivalent rate for Ferdinand now, as the 40 mil Utd paid.then, would be 60 70 mil at least.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 pm

I understand both points of view but I take refuge in:

a) Its not my money - and thank fuck we were picked by the Sheik
b) I have huge confidence in the management team from Khaldoon downwards - I have frankly blind faith in their judgement

But at a personal test level, I simply ask myself:

" ....... how would I feel about it if we walked away from a potentially top CB after what I have witnessed this last 18months - and another club paid £32m - ish - for him ?"

Frankly I would still trust the management team - but I would privately think that we had really fucked up.

I think that he could make a huge difference - similar to Komps in that he can play football and link with the likes of Fernando - allowing our midfield to operate 10 yards further forward and making us much more lethal on the counter. Of course he may bomb - but so can so many - I am very keen
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby phips » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 am

national team selections and starting 11's do not carry over to club level. its like comparing apples to oranges.

Is Casillas the best Spanish keeper?
how many of the Brasil starting 11 actually should've been starting?
Is Sissoko or Griezmann better than Nasri?
Is Chris Wondolowski better than Landon Donovan?
Are Jags/SmallingJones/Cahill better than Terry?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:36 am

phips wrote:national team selections and starting 11's do not carry over to club level. its like comparing apples to oranges.

I've actually been very impressed with him whenever I've seen him. I could see him as an AJ-esque player in our team.
But back to the point, better than Nasri? Wouldn't say so but then again I haven't seen too much of Griezmann
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Try to buy Verane now & see how much the asking price, It will be more than Mangala. The comparison should be with similar rated players.

If Mangala doesn't turn out better than Sakho, or any of Arsenal's centre backs, I agree it was too much.

funnily enough Varane is currently being linked with Chelski with press estimates ranging from 16 to 25 million
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

funnily enough Varane is currently being linked with Chelski with press estimates ranging from 16 to 25 million

I think most people could accept that figure for a talented CB
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
phips wrote:national team selections and starting 11's do not carry over to club level. its like comparing apples to oranges.

I've actually been very impressed with him whenever I've seen him. I could see him as an AJ-esque player in our team.
But back to the point, better than Nasri? Wouldn't say so but then again I haven't seen too much of Griezmann

thats exactly my point. i wouldn't say any of those "questions" above are true but all of those players started or featured for their national teams at the WC, often above other players who were probably more deserving of a start based on skill. so, we can't assume Mangala isn't good and is a waste of money merely because there's 3 French center backs above him in Deschamps squad.
Last edited by phips on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:24 pm

So when the fuck are we signing this guy then?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:33 pm

john@staustell wrote:So when the fuck are we signing this guy then?

He's just waiting for his agent to come back with news that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs .......... and QPR aren't interested, then he'll sign on the dotted line.

Not really read much about this but a mate said that there's a third party involved in this. Could this be the issue, as well as the London thing of course?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby city72 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:43 pm

So if Mangala is worth £32 million, what price would an established international defender like say Kompanys worth be?
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 pm

I think I covered that in my 1st post, Mango is for me a player so over valued it is not true. Camel gob and Shaw are climatised to the league, as I Said on Garcia he looks like a real player when given time and space, Mango will get none of that as he will be in at the deep end and if dropped due to the usual problems for a young defender, which we have seen with Dedryc, Nasti, MDM will be in like a flint again. For me by the finished player.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

He's just waiting for his agent to come back with news that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs .......... and QPR aren't interested, then he'll sign on the dotted line.

Not really read much about this but a mate said that there's a third party involved in this. Could this be the issue, as well as the London thing of course?

Malta-based Doyen Sports Investments Ltd. acquired stakes in players such as Porto’s Steven Defour and Eliaquim Mangala. It has invested 80 million euros the last three years, the unit CEO Nelio Lucas said on Sept. 20.

Investors hold as much as 36 percent of the market value of league players in Portugal and up to 8 percent in Spain, according to KPMG. They own about 3 percent of the market in the Dutch league, KPMG added.

The English Premier League banned such investments, known as third-party ownership, after it found that West Ham had ceded total control over Argentine striker Carlos Tevez to investors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-2 ... -says.html
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:42 pm

city72 wrote:So if Mangala is worth £32 million, what price would an established international defender like say Kompanys worth be?

If David Luiz is worth 50 million, Kompany is worth 80.... It's silly money in a silly market but we just have to accept these daft fees. Football is massive business now... and growing....

Players aren't people anymore, they are assets, with values weighed on varying scales and to fluctuating variables. As one defender moves at a high price the rest of the worlds players move up or down accordingly.

I mean, a good example is potentially Lovren to Liverpool for £20+ million. That is crazy money for a defender who 5-8 years ago would have gone for less then 8 million after the year he's just had. Honestly makes our Mangala deal look good business.

I think overall it's just best to trust in our own management to do the right thing and not question the in's and out's, there's just too much going on out of our view to make a truly fair judgement.

In Txiki (and Soriano) we trust.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Malta-based Doyen Sports Investments Ltd. acquired stakes in players such as Porto’s Steven Defour and Eliaquim Mangala. It has invested 80 million euros the last three years, the unit CEO Nelio Lucas said on Sept. 20.

Investors hold as much as 36 percent of the market value of league players in Portugal and up to 8 percent in Spain, according to KPMG. They own about 3 percent of the market in the Dutch league, KPMG added.

The English Premier League banned such investments, known as third-party ownership, after it found that West Ham had ceded total control over Argentine striker Carlos Tevez to investors.

Cheers buddy, much appreciated. It's absolutely barmy though and must have an affect on FFP as in other countries they can get the players cheaper by only buying the proportion they can afford but get the chance to play some quality players. Us, however, have to pay the full whack or face sanctions from the FA.

So many disparities with the systems introduced, it's fucking madness.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Funnily enough, Real were linked with Aguero for £40 mil.

I recon both deals have a similar chance of going through. And if Verane had gone, there's a fair chance Real would have gazumped us for Mangala.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Cheers buddy, much appreciated. It's absolutely barmy though and must have an affect on FFP as in other countries they can get the players cheaper by only buying the proportion they can afford but get the chance to play some quality players. Us, however, have to pay the full whack or face sanctions from the FA.

So many disparities with the systems introduced, it's fucking madness.

Here's what good old Kia Joorabchian has to say about it. He represents several investors that have rights to 60 to 70 players in Europe and South America.

The businessman Kia Joorabchian, heavily involved in the third-party ownership of players, defended the arrangement, calling it "the South American model and a model that appears all over Europe". In his view third-party transfers are "a way of bringing outstanding players to clubs that would not be able to afford them ordinarily. So they increase the competition", further explaining: "What happens, in Brazil particularly, clubs cannot afford to buy a player. So they go to a business, a bank, a major supermarket, an individual, a person, a wealthy individual and say: 'We want Mr X. You put up 70, 80, 100 per cent of the money, let him play here.' It is a little bit like a loan deal between two clubs, except it is a loan deal between the club and a third party"
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum