Mangala at last?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mangala at last?

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 am

Sorry Beefy you're wrong. The ceiling was 49 million pounds not euros. At current exchange rates that's 61.6 million euros. I imagine the figure was struck at 60 million euros though. We're well inside. We do NOT have to justify any individual signing to fucking UEFA. The question is whether with sales from Rodwell and Richards and maybe Nastasic we're interested in going for Barkley or even Di Maria. On balance I doubt it but we'll see.

The Club had 4 principal targets this transfer season and we've got the lot. Quick efficient as Khaldoun promised. Impressive stuff. Fans are spoiled. If we don't sign a big established name the whole site goes into overdrive attacking the Club's judgement. It's disappointing to say the least. I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy personally.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 am

blues2win wrote:Sorry Beefy you're wrong. The ceiling was 49 million pounds not euros. At current exchange rates that's 61.6 million euros. I imagine the figure was struck at 60 million euros though. We're well inside. We do NOT have to justify any individual signing to fucking UEFA. The question is whether with sales from Rodwell and Richards and maybe Nastasic we're interested in going for Barkley or even Di Maria. On balance I doubt it but we'll see.

The Club had 4 principal targets this transfer season and we've got the lot. Quick efficient as Khaldoun promised. Impressive stuff. Fans are spoiled. If we don't sign a big established name the whole site goes into overdrive attacking the Club's judgement. It's disappointing to say the least. I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy personally.

I didn't say it was, I said he could be referring to. And, nowt wrong with overdrive, people want to talk about the ins and outs. My take is that it is a lot of money for a player who hasn't really had a full season yet. Don't get me wrong, I'll be behind the lad just as I am with every other player that comes to City but at the moment we are only in the realms of talking money and talent, and upwards of 32 mil is a crazy amount for a player who is still learing the ropes.

Welcome to the club though 'Manny', I hope you do us, and yourself, proud.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Good for you beefy. Goal claim rags offered the same transfer fee and better personal terms but Mangala chose City.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby phips » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

nottsblue wrote:This nonsense that just because he didn't play for France means he's inferior needs to stop. Just because a manager doesn't pick a player it doesn't matter. He might not fit into the system he plays for example. Or the existing two centre backs have a good partnership which he doesn't want to break. Look at Hansen. Best defender Scotland had yet Miller and Mcleish were the preferred duo mainly due to them

agreed. some national team managers are dumb. just look at Scolari's selections.

plus, Deschamps said he didn't choose the best football players for his squad. he picked the best teammates, or some shit like that, which is why Nasri was left out.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Socrates » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:02 pm

blues2win wrote:Sorry Beefy you're wrong. The ceiling was 49 million pounds not euros. At current exchange rates that's 61.6 million euros. I imagine the figure was struck at 60 million euros though. We're well inside. We do NOT have to justify any individual signing to fucking UEFA. The question is whether with sales from Rodwell and Richards and maybe Nastasic we're interested in going for Barkley or even Di Maria. On balance I doubt it but we'll see.

The ceiling was actually set in euros at 60m, the 49m was at the exchange rate at the time, closer to 48m now.

Agree on your second point too, people have been screaming for a central defender and are whinging now we are spending on one.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 am

Wow, surprised at the general negativity surrounding the potential signing of Mangala.

Mangala has EVERYTHING needed to be a big big player in world football, hell he is already doing the business for Porto, who are a very very accomplished side.

Lets face it the big issue in the minds of the people is mainly over the high sum being paid, I get that, but it can't be helped. He is owned by 3 or 4 different parties, all wanting a sum, all valuing him differently. This is a pain of a deal and probably the main reason why he hasn't been snapped up by a real/barca already. It's just a massive pain.

Putting the fee to one side, and looking at the player himself, i get why he is so highly rated and so highly sought after. He possesses all the attributes you can't train, He's big, powerful and extremely fast. He is aerially spot on and aggressive in the tackle, In terms of ball playing, he is extremely adept at passing the ball out of the defence too. Where he is questionable, is in his decision making, this is flagged as his only real weakness but one which will be cured purely through experience. Putting him alongside the experience of Kompany likely will accelerate his evolution as a player.

In terms of risk, this signing actually has very little despite on first glance, given the fee, it looking highly risky. Given his raw attributes, it wouldn't be unfair to say Mangala is built for the premier league and with the seasons of experience he has, i'd expect him to hit the ground running... but probably not be a true £32 million man for a season or two. This said much like the rags signing of Shaw, while the initial fee looks high, when dividing the fee over the length of his contract and the possible extensions, £32 million on a player who could start for the next 7 seasons+ looks a sound investment, especially if the potential is realised. In both the case of Shaw and Mangala, if both never progressed, walking in the door, they are still great players, the question mark is on whether they will take the leap from great to world class. Jury is out on that, but it doesn't make for a transfer gamble.

Make no mistake, this signing is key to our chances of retaining the title and key to our European progress in the next few years. If he does what is expected and Vince stays fit, we could have the best centre back pairing in world football for the next 3-5 seasons easily.

Worth a punt i'd say.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:29 am

Socrates wrote:

The ceiling was actually set in euros at 60m, the 49m was at the exchange rate at the time, closer to 48m now.

Agree on your second point too, people have been screaming for a central defender and are whinging now we are spending on one.

A nice, succinct way of expressing it Socs.

However, for myself, I still think we need another forward, given any putative and lingering concerns over the fitness of both Aguero and Jovetic and I would have much rather preferred the money being spent in this area, rather than in defence.

In my own opinion, with another forward we could 'make-do' with the defenders we have in the event of an injury situation there but, given Pellegrini's attacking philosophy, we can't rely upon the midfield to 'take up the slack', in a goal scoring sense, if our forwards lose form or are injured and the goal 'avalanche' we all like to see dries up.

However, at the end of the day, what do I know ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 am

Looks like we have secured all our 4 key transfer targets nice and early , just need the Yaya situation clearing up sharpish in our favour . Interestingly SSN are reporting PSG,s Edinson Cavani has instructed his agent to get him a move to the Premier League this morning ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby City64 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 am

Looks like we have secured all our 4 key transfer targets nice and early , just need the Yaya situation clearing up sharpish in our favour . Interestingly SSN are reporting PSG,s Edinson Cavani has instructed his agent to get him a move to the Premier League ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

City64 wrote:Looks like we have secured all our 4 key transfer targets nice and early , just need the Yaya situation clearing up sharpish in our favour . Interestingly SSN are reporting PSG,s Edinson Cavani has instructed his agent to get him a move to the Premier League ?

Crikey, if that's true, can we cancel the Mangala deal and go for him instead ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
City64 wrote:Looks like we have secured all our 4 key transfer targets nice and early , just need the Yaya situation clearing up sharpish in our favour . Interestingly SSN are reporting PSG,s Edinson Cavani has instructed his agent to get him a move to the Premier League ?

Crikey, if that's true, can we cancel the Mangala deal and go for him instead ??

Cavani at CB. Are you Stuart Pearce? Be honest.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Chinners » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:18 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Cheers

<splutter> thanks DM ... I now need to clean my screen of coffee
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby sandman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

I would rather have Mangala and sell any combination of the following players to raise the cash & wages;

Javi García
Jack Rodwell
Martín Demichelis
Richard Wright
Dedryck Boyata
John Guidetti
Scott Sinclair
Luca Scapuzzi
Emyr Huws
Reece Wabara
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby BmoreBlue » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Scapuzzi and Wabara are both gone btw
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby sandman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:Scapuzzi and Wabara are both gone btw

Ah yes, I remember the Wabara one now I link of it, I thought Scapuzzi was still on loan in Italy though? Ah well, plus I missed Richards off the list, I will be sad to see him go but being realistic I cant see him playing another game for City. Plus I have a soft spot for Oldham.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Lee_R » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Cavani for Yaya then..
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Chinners wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Cheers

<splutter> thanks DM ... I now need to clean my screen of coffee

Coffee? Yeah right.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 pm

sandman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

I would rather have Mangala and sell any combination of the following players to raise the cash & wages;

Javi García
Jack Rodwell
Martín Demichelis
Richard Wright
Dedryck Boyata
John Guidetti
Scott Sinclair
Luca Scapuzzi
Emyr Huws
Reece Wabara

I'd sell everyone on that list bar, Demi, Wright and Boyata (Boyata only stays because we need his HG status)

Shifting Javi and Jack has to be the priority now, they just don't have a place in our club anymore, In Jacks case this is because he hasn't delivered as a player for us and in Javi's case because he is unfortunately foreign and we need to trim to meet the quotas.

I really feel for Javi though, he has improved, he just looks doomed to be sold. He's the least vital and easiest to trim of all of our foreigners, it's really unlucky for him.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby roblues » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
sandman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Javi García
Jack Rodwell
Martín Demichelis
Richard Wright
Dedryck Boyata
John Guidetti
Scott Sinclair
Luca Scapuzzi
Emyr Huws
Reece Wabara

I'd sell everyone on that list bar, Demi, Wright and Boyata (Boyata only stays because we need his HG status)

Shifting Javi and Jack has to be the priority now, they just don't have a place in our club anymore, In Jacks case this is because he hasn't delivered as a player for us and in Javi's case because he is unfortunately foreign and we need to trim to meet the quotas.

I really feel for Javi though, he has improved, he just looks doomed to be sold. He's the least vital and easiest to trim of all of our foreigners, it's really unlucky for him.

I'm putting my neck on the line here - I think Rodwell will be our most improved player this season if given a chance - and I know it won't take much to improve on last season, but I actually see him making a pretty big contribution, especially if Yaya departs.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby JCB001 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm

sandman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Javi García
Jack Rodwell
Martín Demichelis
Richard Wright
Dedryck Boyata
John Guidetti
Scott Sinclair
Luca Scapuzzi
Emyr Huws
Reece Wabara

We must keep MDM to help bed in Mangala
JCB001