Ray Whelan arrested over World Cup ticket scam

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ray Whelan arrested over World Cup ticket scam

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:28 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-28205082

A couple of things to note about this, his company is based in Switzerland (as is FIFA) - and he was arrested at a hotel where FIFA officials were also staying. Obviously all PURE coincidence though, and no doubt FIFA will issue a statement strongly condemning this latest corruption and reiterating their anti-corruption stance.

Fifa partner CEO Ray Whelan arrested over ticket scam

Brazilian police have arrested the chief executive of a Fifa partner company as part of investigations into the illegal sale of World Cup tickets.

Ray Whelan from Match Hospitality was held at Rio de Janeiro's hotel, where officials from the world's football governing body were also staying.

Last week, police held 11 people and broke up an international gang.

They are accused of illegally reselling tickets, including some originally allocated to players.

Police say the gang earned as much as $90m (£52m) per tournament and could have operated at four World Cups.

The authorities believe some of the tickets were sold to foreign tourists.

Mr Whelan was arrested at the luxurious Copacabana Palace Hotel on Monday.

He was taken for questioning as part of the ongoing police investigation Operation Jules Rimet.

The Switzerland-based Match Hospitality has so far made no public comment on the issue.

As part of the inquiry, police said last week they had identified the first name of an alleged Fifa official from telephone calls.

Fabio Barucke, the investigator in charge of the case, said the official had clearance to Fifa offices, stadiums and other administrative areas where he would have access to match tickets.

The official, Mr Barucke said at the time, was not Brazilian and was in the country only because of the current tournament.

In a statement, Fifa said it "continues to fully collaborate with the local authorities and will provide any details requested to assist with this ongoing investigation".

"Fifa wants to reiterate as mentioned at various occasions its firm stance against any form of violation of the criminal law and the ticketing regulations, and is fully supporting the security authorities in our joint efforts to clamp down on any unauthorised ticket sales."

Among items seized during the arrests last week were 100 tickets, computers, US dollars, mobile phones and documents.

Those arrested could face charges of money laundering, criminal association and illegally selling tickets.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: Ray Whelan arrested over World Cup ticket scam

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 pm

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I hope the FULL story comes out because it sounds more and more like a FIFA scam to recycle match tickets while lining their own pockets.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 am

Ray has got a one way ticket out of there, I guess he could be missing in action, if the MAFIFA get hold of him.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 am

Cheadle eh?

The intrepid newshounds of Cheshire Today will be all over this, up all night going through the bins, only stopping for a nice cup of tea & perhaps one of those small cakes.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

If they do ever get hold of him, he will hopefully take down a few more higher ups at Fifa. That would be pleasant.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am

Goaters 103 wrote:If they do ever get hold of him, he will hopefully take down a few more higher ups at Fifa. That would be pleasant.

He might prefer the Police to the MAFIFA.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Fleeing Rio without his passport is a pretty desperate act. Difficult to see him getting back to UK. Not sure what the extradition law is between UK and Brazil. Innocent till proven guilty of course.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:24 am

blues2win wrote:Fleeing Rio without his passport is a pretty desperate act. Difficult to see him getting back to UK. Not sure what the extradition law is between UK and Brazil. Innocent till proven guilty of course.

Getting out of South America, without a passport !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:26 am

blues2win wrote:Fleeing Rio without his passport is a pretty desperate act. Difficult to see him getting back to UK. Not sure what the extradition law is between UK and Brazil. Innocent till proven guilty of course.

he'll almost certainly have two passports, but not sure where he'd head if he does. Sounds like his lawyer is negotiating terms for him to hand himself over?
I think the Ronnie Biggs experience caused an extradition treaty to be put in place with Brazil a few years back.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby blues2win » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:36 am

Does he really want to spend the rest of his life on the run. He might get across the border to another South American country but then what? You're right there is an extradition treaty between Brazil and the UK. I'm sure he'll hand himself in. Maybe he can do a deal of no prison in return for naming names.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm

If Brazil has qualified for the Final, 4 tickets and see you later mate !! NO Final NO FLIGHT ! Hey we gotta blame som1
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm

I think Otis appalling the way the OFFICIAL FIFA ticket tout has been treated.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

e: Ray Whelan arresCup ticket scam

Postby Scootermagsey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 am

Met the Byrom brothers in1986 at Abney hall, they tried to do me for two grand. Sent the bailiffs in to reclaim my money, didn't even own a pencil everything rented. I got my money eventually (long story), the point is SIR bobby charlton had his school of excellence in the same building at the time. Next thing I know Enriqie Byrom is sat next to bobby charlton in the draw for the Mexico World Cup teams in 1986. That must have been the introduction for the byrom brothers to FIFA by bobby charlton. The rest will be in the news no doubt.
Check out byrom school of languages Abney hall Cheadle to see how dodgy these characters are.
Scootermagsey
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: David silver

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 am

Have they caught the fiddling bastard yet?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:06 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:Have they caught the fiddling bastard yet?

His agency says he's not a fugitive, they are just working things out.

Whelan obviously failed to pass the brown envelope to the right person.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Scootermagsey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:16 am

Bugs me that iv'e known about this for nearly thirty years. Yet again Man U are at the centre of all that's bad about football.
Scootermagsey
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: David silver

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:09 pm

It's all kept in the family, one way or the other. The whole thing stinks from top to bottom and the thought that this may be a shock for some is quite interesting.

Where there's money or power, there is corruption and greed.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Whelan used to be Charlton's agent, by the way. Just to add to the general stink of it all.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:09 pm

It gets even better, the Byrom brothers are the major share holders in Match (no real surprise there), but amongst the significant minor share holders is a Swiss firm called Infront, the president of whom is none other than Philippe Blatter, nephew of Sepp.
You couldn't make this shit up.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum