Seems We Are In For Ross Barkley

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Seems We Are In For Ross Barkley

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:44 pm

I'd be astonished if anyone knew what Ya Ya was going to do.Pogba is his like for like replacement though nowhere as good. Have you seen the prices being quoted for him?I reiterate. Barkley will cost far more than £25 million. He's been sat in a hotel with James Milner for two weeks. Wonder what he asked him.....how warm is the bench? Then, those who say he's great, watch the games, he goes missing for huge chunks of the game. He's got a party piece, full tilt run at the defence, but a huge amount to learn about midfield play.....he was at Sheffield Wednesday 18 months ago. So
1 no room unless Ya Ya leaves which is unlikely to be decided for some time
2 He'll be around £30=40 mill logically, but if we want to force it, £50 mill
3He'd be mad to interrupt his development at Everton
4 They would be stupid to sell him except for megabucks
5 He aint good enough to play regularly for us yet and may never be

Hope I'm right
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:17 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:I'd be astonished if anyone knew what Ya Ya was going to do.Pogba is his like for like replacement though nowhere as good. Have you seen the prices being quoted for him?I reiterate. Barkley will cost far more than £25 million. He's been sat in a hotel with James Milner for two weeks. Wonder what he asked him.....how warm is the bench? Then, those who say he's great, watch the games, he goes missing for huge chunks of the game. He's got a party piece, full tilt run at the defence, but a huge amount to learn about midfield play.....he was at Sheffield Wednesday 18 months ago. So

Hope I'm right

Most sensible thing said here. Have people actually watched him week in and out besides motd clips?

I never saw the Costa Rico game but when he came off the bench in the other two, he did nothing but run with the ball and the Italians had no problem taking it of him. Do people think just running with the ball at the defence automatically makes them class or because he's English?

We are overloaded in midfield right now and should look at trying to find a young star that won't cost in sane prices or bring someone threw. Even if we bought Barclay, he'd be straight on the bench.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby roblues » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:
getdressedmctavish wrote:I'd be astonished if anyone knew what Ya Ya was going to do.Pogba is his like for like replacement though nowhere as good. Have you seen the prices being quoted for him?I reiterate. Barkley will cost far more than £25 million. He's been sat in a hotel with James Milner for two weeks. Wonder what he asked him.....how warm is the bench? Then, those who say he's great, watch the games, he goes missing for huge chunks of the game. He's got a party piece, full tilt run at the defence, but a huge amount to learn about midfield play.....he was at Sheffield Wednesday 18 months ago. So

Hope I'm right

Most sensible thing said here. Have people actually watched him week in and out besides motd clips?

I never saw the Costa Rico game but when he came off the bench in the other two, he did nothing but run with the ball and the Italians had no problem taking it of him. Do people think just running with the ball at the defence automatically makes them class or because he's English?

We are overloaded in midfield right now and should look at trying to find a young star that won't cost in sane prices or bring someone threw. Even if we bought Barclay, he'd be straight on the bench.

Buster Phillips sold for £10 million back in 1996 and all he did was run with the ball...

Agree with theme of these last two posts
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheikh it all about » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 am

Don't believe the report, or the price, or that Everton will sell him this window.

However, he's the sort of guy we do need for the longer run. Even if Yaya stays he will never repeat last season's achievements.

He's peaked and he's piqued. See what I did there?
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: The Champions
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Burt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 am

roblues wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:

Hope I'm right

Buster Phillips sold for £10 million back in 1996 and all he did was run with the ball...

Buster Phillips did not sell for £10mill. Where da fuck did you get that bollox from mate?!!!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:53 am

I've never seen Barkley play,apart from the time where i stood and watched a match for 90 minutes at Goodison and he was easily their stand out player.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Burt wrote:
roblues wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:

Hope I'm right

Buster Phillips did not sell for £10mill. Where da fuck did you get that bollox from mate?!!!

It was 15million that's why. Alan ball sold him. Great times.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Lee_R » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Manchester City in November 1995 for a fee of £500,000. Upon signing Phillips, City manager Alan Ball predicted "Buster will be the first British £10 million pound player."[1] He struggled to establish himself at Maine Road and was loaned to Scunthorpe United in January 1998 and back to Exeter City in March 1998.

He left Maine Road in August 1998, moving to Portsmouth for a fee of £100,000.

ffs those were the days!
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Burt wrote:
roblues wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:

Hope I'm right

It was 15million that's why. Alan ball sold him. Great times.

15million Vietnamese Dong maybe.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm

We are overloaded in midfield right now and should look at trying to find a young star that won't cost in sane prices or bring someone threw. Even if we bought Barclay, he'd be straight on the bench.[/quote]

Agree with theme of these last two posts[/quote]

Buster Phillips did not sell for £10mill. Where da fuck did you get that bollox from mate?!!![/quote]

It was 15million that's why. Alan ball sold him. Great times.[/quote]

15million Vietnamese Dong maybe.[/quote]

By the time Phillips left he wasnt worth a horses dong wrapped in newspaper
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby michaelcityfan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Golden days remembering the days of Alan ball remember frank Clarke god we had some poor managers did we not? Thank heaven for sheikh mansoor.
michaelcityfan
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:51 am

To be fair, Martin Phillips looked amazing in his debut.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:05 am

Can some of you seriously not recognise the potential in Ross Barkley ?

No wonder people are moaning about Zucculini.

Just to list it: he has pace, skill, strength, stamina, can tackle, shoot, beat players, pass & just recently made Rooney look like an amateur for football nous, when he replaced him.

No he isn't fantastic for Everton every week. He is a kid.

None of the Spanish or Italian or German kids City fans regularly wank over are great every week either. But because they're not English they are automatically better.

If Barkley was slow, or lightweight or lazy etc I could understand people criticising but he basically has everything you could want in a potential star.

He may not see that through, many don't, but the idea he is only rated is because he is English, is fucking nonsense.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 am

He's gash. 30 mil for English talent is just ridiculous.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 am

Beefymcfc wrote:He's gash. 30 mil for English talent is just ridiculous.

He is definitely not "gash". Boys got talent in abundance. The kind of talent which with proper training couod well turn into world class performances. Right now he is inconsistent as these kids with genuine natural talent and technique often are. Once he finds consistency I'm pretty sure he will be one of the better players in the league for next decade or so.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:He's gash. 30 mil for English talent is just ridiculous.

He is definitely not "gash". Boys got talent in abundance. The kind of talent which with proper training couod well turn into world class performances. Right now he is inconsistent as these kids with genuine natural talent and technique often are. Once he finds consistency I'm pretty sure he will be one of the better players in the league for next decade or so.

What I'm saying is that he is gash at that price. Like I said, he is a talent and could become the next ....... (insert name here) but he isn't that player yet. Worth more than Yaya, Big Dave or ........ (insert another name), not a chance.

And, once the media get hold of him then he'll be ruined just like all of the rest of them, probably only proving himself in the PL. However, alongside the likes of Yaya/Silva et al then he could turn that talent into real quality but it will be down to him to prove he can make it, not make it before he's proved himself.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum