Cool Or Tool?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What do you think?

Who is this facist fuck? Have him hanged in City square!
33%
Foot in the mouth but nothing major.
47%
He said it as he saw it and obviously didn't mean anything by it.
No votes
PC gone overboard. Besides, have krauts ever won a war?
20%
Cool! Concentration camps were invented by liberal media anyway. Next City manager.
No votes

Total votes : 15

Cool Or Tool?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:52 pm

This caused an outrage here after yesterday's game. What do you think?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZBA7w0K3bQ m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZBA7w0K3bQ

Watch on youtube.com
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Cool Or Tool?

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:09 pm

What's the issue?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Arbeit macht frei.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Got that. But is it a big deal? Guess I shouldn't wear my "Arbeit macht den Tag kaputt" t-shirt when visiting Finland.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Didn't really like that BUT dunno how 'open' that phrase is in a German context?

Imagine most people here will be in a similar boat, NQDP can you enlighten us?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:26 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Didn't really like that BUT dunno how 'open' that phrase is in a German context?

Like I said, it caused an uproar here.
The funny bit is that when I saw that, I didn't think much of it. In reality I've heard that phrase coined in training ground and in half time talks millions of times when I was still, playing. Like "boys, we are one up but you need to keep working in second half, arbeiten macht frei". It's sort of a joke but without hint of facism or anything like that to it. That feller was being in his football coach mode. It was only afterwards when I saw lot of people (especially the kind of "I'm REALLY into football once in every four years") making fuzz of it.

I can understand it sounds horrible from certain angle. Then again, I have a good friend (rag unfortunately) who is jewish and big football guy and asked what he thought about it and he just laughed and said he didn't react to it at ALL at the time.

Then there's one more angle to this. This guy on that video, the manager of HJK Helsinki, is actually quite an exception to your usual pundit. He always usually comes through as well versed and quite an intelligent and philosophical guy. He actually holds Master's degree in engineering which he did in my alma matter while playing professionally.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:28 am

I'm moving this to main football forum for a while as this really interests me and it's borderline football topic.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:08 am

probably just an issue an finland because you sided with the wrong team in ww2?
now you're feeling guilty...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:32 am

Why is this on the Maine Forum and why is it even being debated?

Yes, the saying was used at the entrances to concentration camps but that was over 70 years ago when (probably) none of us were around.

The only people who should be offended are those who were there in person. Otherwise, I'd suggest it's only those PC wallers who are looking for such issues who would raise it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Didn't really like that BUT dunno how 'open' that phrase is in a German context?

I wondered the same, but then the presenter does laugh nervously. I think it's mildly offensive towards today's Germans, who probably won't take kindly to it, but it would've been 100x more offensive if used in reference to the Israeli national side [cue something angry from Fidel].

Incidentally, for better or worse, he would never have worked on TV again had he said it over here.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:03 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:

I wondered the same, but then the presenter does laugh nervously. I think it's mildly offensive towards today's Germans, who probably won't take kindly to it, but it would've been 100x more offensive if used in reference to the Israeli national side [cue something angry from Fidel].

Incidentally, for better or worse, he would never have worked on TV again had he said it over here.

The last bit is why I asked. How would that go down elsewhere?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 am

Where is the "I don't give a single fuck, Leslie out!" answer?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:15 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:probably just an issue an finland because you sided with the wrong team in ww2?
now you're feeling guilty...

Actually, Finns don't see themselves having been allied with Nazi Germany as such. It was deal out of necessity because we lacked war Industry to fight Soviets. Funnily enough, Finland reached out to just about everywhere, including Britain who wanted Nothing to do with war Against Soviets, before cutting the deal with Hitler.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Clowncrete » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:44 am

Urm, what does the phrase mean?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:51 am

"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Maybe I am being OTT - but how can that phrase be used 'accidently' - must be either thick / really bad taste / or fascist fucker - most likely the last in my book
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:59 am

mcfc1632 wrote:Maybe I am being OTT - but how can that phrase be used 'accidently' - must be either thick / really bad taste / or fascist fucker - most likely the last in my book

Isn't he using it in an anti-German sense?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:Maybe I am being OTT - but how can that phrase be used 'accidently' - must be either thick / really bad taste / or fascist fucker - most likely the last in my book

Isn't he using it in an anti-German sense?

I think his point is that it was typical performance by Germany ie working really hard and eventually they'd come through with a win (isn't that the stereotype about German football). So yes, I think to some extent he uses it in anti-German sense.

For what it's worth, most people here, especially the ones who don't follow much local football (don't know the person in question), seemed to have the same opinion as mcfc1632.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby The Italian Job » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 am

Most likely the second. It was obviously intended as a joke. Although I don't see what's supposed to be particularly funny or clever about it. It's the "Dressing as Hitler on Halloween" of catchphrases.
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

The Italian Job wrote:

Most likely the second. It was obviously intended as a joke. Although I don't see what's supposed to be particularly funny or clever about it. It's the "Dressing as Hitler on Halloween" of catchphrases.

Hahaha. I doubt it's his catchphrase, mate.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum