Refusing to Play for England

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Refusing to Play for England

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:42 am

I know some of this has found its way into todays bollocks, but I thought it worthy of a thread on its own.

So basically Harry Redknapp has said that some of his players begged him to 'get them out' of having to go on England duty. I'm sure it's no great surprise to us, other than Redknapp actually having lifted the lid on the problem.

The players this would cover are:
Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Scott Parker, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Kyle Walker.

All of the spurs players mentioned were fringe players and so you could kinda understand why they wouldn't want to trek half way round the world for a friendly with Trinidad being played solely for the enrichment of the FA in its attempts to bribe Jack Warner, (for example) to sit on the bench and have little chance of playing.

If successive England managers didn't have a policy of blindly sticking with the superstars come the tournaments no matter how out of form they were, you would probably find more of the fringe players willing to be involved and Gerrard/Hodgson demanding names isn't going to help anyone

As much as the headline of 'rejecting your country' is a good way to tubthump about national pride, I can't help thinking that until selection is purely on merit, some of these guys (whoever it was), probably had a point, just like Paul Scholes did when he retired for exactly the same reasons.

All suggests to me that the witchunt over who said what is going to overshadow the entire reason why the players behaved this way in the first place, which is a flawed selection policy based heavily on a greedy FA wanting certain players in every team/squad due to sponsorship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... gland.html
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Refusing to Play for England

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:53 am

Should name the ones who didn't want to play for Wales while he's at it.

As if he could name them now, when still working as a manager. Nobody would ever trust him again. A few will be cacking it for when he cashes in with his book though.

Gerrard of course was desperate to play in every England friendly, every single one, & never considered saving himself for Liverpool games. Cunt.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Chinners » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 am

Twitchy is such a shit-stirring bitter cent, so glad he didn't get the England job. I'm still waiting for him to comment on 15-20 players at this years world cup that he "tried to sign whilst at spurs" #LoathsomeCunt
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby craigmcfc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 am

Surely this applies to Rooney and Welbeck too?
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:20 am

Chinners wrote:Twitchy is such a shit-stirring bitter cent, so glad he didn't get the England job. I'm still waiting for him to comment on 15-20 players at this years world cup that he "tried to sign whilst at spurs" #LoathsomeCunt

Piss funny , I bet the delusional cunt was sat in front of his telly muttering to himself ...that one and that one ...and that one.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 am

Chinners wrote:Twitchy is such a shit-stirring bitter cent, so glad he didn't get the England job. I'm still waiting for him to comment on 15-20 players at this years world cup that he "tried to sign whilst at spurs" #LoathsomeCunt

In fairness, he has hit the nail right on the head though, and isn't saying anything we didn't already know from the likes of Giggs exploits over the years.

The foaming at the mouth little-englander will frame it as a disgrace that anyone thinks this way, without even stopping to consider what makes them think like this, and the headline will be that they aren't patriotic, rather than the underlying fact being that travelling round the world with England to sit on the bench is a fucking inconvenience once you realise you are only ever going to be there to make up the numbers.

Watching the other games just shows you how pedestrian even those who apparently 'want' to play for us are. No genuine threat to Rooney, Hart, Gerrard's positions, so if you were in those positions, why would you bother, and if you were Rooney or Gerrard, why would YOU bother busting a gut if you know you are a shoe-in for the next game?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Chinners » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:32 pm

"I understand Steven's concern but I don't want to get into naming names because it wouldn't be fair to the players"

Ha ha, you utter attention seeking twitchy cunt!
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:58 pm

I wish half of the twats had refused to play, and we might have moved on from the exit left, we are the new Scotland. 2 week package and back home.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

whether or not redknapp is a bitter cunt aside - I think the OP has a valid point that a lot of players would think "why bother" due to the clammering for so called big name stars to start a game that england managers pander too time in time out
I have to say its a viewpoint I sympathise with
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Jamie Carragher got it right, he thought, I am never going to start and will fill in if there are injuries to CB's or RB's, but he was last choice.
I dont blame him for giving the KB. At least he did it early and the right way.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Wooders wrote:whether or not redknapp is a bitter cunt aside - I think the OP has a valid point that a lot of players would think "why bother" due to the clammering for so called big name stars to start a game that england managers pander too time in time out

I can't disagree,but just one point though ! Which 'big name stars '? Honestly , whilst we've had some good players over the last few World Cup Tournies. They have collectively proven they can't hack it in the big games. Hence we haven't reached a semi final since god knows when.

Admittedly we've had a few posers milking it for their personal gain, too often the managers have selected from the old 'Big 4' rather than on form and talent.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 pm

This has been a problem for a while and will not change while the suits get to select the squad. That's the issue with Hodgson (and previous managers) where they are complicit in what has become a 'Job for the Boys' mentality. There's a few who have tried something different but their ideas are soon quashed when the 'Old Guard' who still get on the pitch don't turn up and let the rest down, ensuring those who were left out get straight back in after the media clammer.

England hasn't been about the football for a long time. It's now about corporate seats and sponsorship and that's why we're seeing every Rag and Dipper being called up to bring on the next generation of sponsorship deals. They may not get a game but their numbers really count when the sponsors come in with their deals.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

zuricity wrote:
Wooders wrote:whether or not redknapp is a bitter cunt aside - I think the OP has a valid point that a lot of players would think "why bother" due to the clammering for so called big name stars to start a game that england managers pander too time in time out

I can't disagree,but just one point though ! Which 'big name stars '? Honestly , whilst we've had some good players over the last few World Cup Tournies. They have collectively proven they can't hack it in the big games. Hence we haven't reached a semi final since god knows when.

Admittedly we've had a few posers milking it for their personal gain, too often the managers have selected from the old 'Big 4' rather than on form and talent.

I think in recent times, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney - effectively the spine of the side for the last 10 years has been picked to the exclusion of all others regardless of contribution with the sole exception of the Terry situation in the Euros, which was handled appallingly by the FA passing judgement before his case had been heard in court. I'd probably add Hart to the list now
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ruralblue » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I hope to god that Sir Joey never refused to play for England!!!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby ruralblue » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I hope to god that Sir Joey never refused to play for England!!!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
zuricity wrote:

I think in recent times, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney - effectively the spine of the side for the last 10 years has been picked to the exclusion of all others regardless of contribution with the sole exception of the Terry situation in the Euros, which was handled appallingly by the FA passing judgement before his case had been heard in court. I'd probably add Hart to the list now

Plus Beck**m.

His performance in that game when he scored a free kick late on at the swamp, & England qualified for whatever, was one of the best by anybody in recent times. Most of his other peformances have ranged between shite & average, same as the players listed above. If he, & all the others just accepted a role of members of a team, doing an allocated job, they could have been incredible.

Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Scholes are amongst the absolute best I have seen in the flesh at Prem level. (Beck**m nowhere fucking near but still tbf, full of dangerous abilities).

But all of them bar Scholes are glory boys who want to do their own thing first. A team can put up with one such player but rarely more than one.

The 'golden generation' were basically a bunch of self centred wankers. If they had the interest to play like Spain, they could have done it easily, including Scholes as the main focal point. They would have more flexibility & power too. They had no fucking interest in knocking a ball around simply, looking for openings & working for the team; they all want the big moment for themselves.

Imo It wouldn't have mattered if Pep had been England manager; they would have got him sacked because they don't want extra things to think about; just the usual routine..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby s1ty m » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 am

Lampard would shoot on site so yes, a glory hunter for sure. If England had built around the Ginger Rag, they'd have done better. Instead, it was always Lampard this and Lampard that.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Plus Beck**m.

His performance in that game when he scored a free kick late on at the swamp, & England qualified for whatever, was one of the best by anybody in recent times. Most of his other peformances have ranged between shite & average, same as the players listed above. If he, & all the others just accepted a role of members of a team, doing an allocated job, they could have been incredible.

Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Scholes are amongst the absolute best I have seen in the flesh at Prem level. (Beck**m nowhere fucking near but still tbf, full of dangerous abilities).

But all of them bar Scholes are glory boys who want to do their own thing first. A team can put up with one such player but rarely more than one.

The 'golden generation' were basically a bunch of self centred wankers. If they had the interest to play like Spain, they could have done it easily, including Scholes as the main focal point. They would have more flexibility & power too. They had no fucking interest in knocking a ball around simply, looking for openings & working for the team; they all want the big moment for themselves.

Imo It wouldn't have mattered if Pep had been England manager; they would have got him sacked because they don't want extra things to think about; just the usual routine..

Imagine the impact a team like this COULD have had.

James
Neville - Terry - Ferdinand - Cole
Beckham - Gerrard - Scholes - Lampard - Milner
Rooney

That midfield, properly organised with the right tactics alongside a solid defence and motivated Rooney, SHOULD have beaten any team on the planet for the best part of the last decade playing fast paced english style football - we would have come a cropper a few times, but we would win far more than we lost and made teams play to our strengths instead of kow-towing to the likes of fucking Costa Rice as we will tonight. Instead we get managers with tactical ideas which exclude the likes of Scholes and bang him on the left causing him to retire, and the rest of them so complacent they couldn't give a shit because they were undroppable.

It's just been appallingly managed from start to finish by the FA.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby dick dastardley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:30 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Plus Beck**m.

Imagine the impact a team like this COULD have had.

James
Neville - Terry - Ferdinand - Cole
Beckham - Gerrard - Scholes - Lampard - Milner
Rooney

That midfield, properly organised with the right tactics alongside a solid defence and motivated Rooney, SHOULD have beaten any team on the planet for the best part of the last decade playing fast paced english style football - we would have come a cropper a few times, but we would win far more than we lost and made teams play to our strengths instead of kow-towing to the likes of fucking Costa Rice as we will tonight. Instead we get managers with tactical ideas which exclude the likes of Scholes and bang him on the left causing him to retire, and the rest of them so complacent they couldn't give a shit because they were undroppable.

It's just been appallingly managed from start to finish by the FA.

MILNER pmsl never an england player along with half the idiots that are in brazil now!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Crossie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Swap Milner for Sterling maybe?

Great points about glory boys and all wanting to have the big game moment.

Put Chile's work ethic into that golden generation and we'd have been the Spain of the 00's
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum