New website and forum launched

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New website and forum launched

Postby Dronny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
AG7 wrote:How much ££ are we talking about keeping the App? Seriously I think we'd be able to raise the amount in no time ... would you then consider bring it back on if we can pull together the ££ here? I'm sure I am not the only one annoyed with the app disappearing!!!!

I am not sure of the EXACT amount but it costs over £300 a year to keep it up to date and on the app stores
Remembering that this site is paid for by the kind generous donors who give willingly. The new site set up means we save that amount each year, which can help pay for the new hosting.

I liked the app on the move too, but its simple economics for us, we are not backed by the Sheik.

Surely an oversight eh lads!! :-)
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm

This mobile setting works and looks great for me, and I'm on a lappy!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby dazby » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 am

AG7 wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Welcome to the new site on the new hosts.

There's probably going to be a few bugs to iron out over the next couple of weeks but we have some great new features:

Including much more friendly posting icons to help you style your posts, a quick reply feature and a full responsive website that works near perfectly on your mobile and tablets. We've also revamped the homepage so it's now a full scale website

The mobile app won't work on this site as it's not been set-up to so you'll probably get error messages when accessing that.

Leave any feedback and bugs in this thread and I'll make a note of them all.

What the fuck is this ... no, seriously what the hell!!

The single biggest reason I joined this forum was the App ... found that while searching for City app in iTunes, installed it, started reading different threads (for months actually) before signing up to post and then the rest is history ...

Now it's going to be as annoying as reading any other forum on the web ... I probably use the App about 95% of my time on the forum and the rest of the 5% is when I am at my desk ... actually it's probably 99.5% and 0.5% ratio to be honest.

And I loved it that the App would get rid of all the colors and signatures
and all and you won't have to first search what is being said instead all just came to you in black and white with no styles, colors, signs or anything else distracting ...

BRING BACK THE APP PLS. Do whatever the fuck you guys want to do with the site but have that clean black and white App front available as well ...

What a prick of a thing to write. Read it back, realise what a petulant wanker you've been and give yourself a slap.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Socrates » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:49 am

Great job lads, works well on the mobile, very impressed - the app was a good solution to the problem of viewing on a mobile but that problem is now clearly history. Great functionality and design. Seriously looks like the site we all dreamed of ten years ago but was beyond our means at the time!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 am

Socrates wrote:Great job lads, works well on the mobile, very impressed - the app was a good solution to the problem of viewing on a mobile but that problem is now clearly history. Great functionality and design. Seriously looks like the site we all dreamed of ten years ago but was beyond our means at the time!

So, are you saying that the new mobile version is better than the old app?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 am

the app really was better but i appreciate the hard work done by the lads.

I've changed my skin back to the old one so its no bother for me.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:17 am

Not really liking the mobile site compared to the app. It's difficult to get to the last read post, as the arrow is hard to click on. Similarly, clicking a particular page isn't easy and I've got a largish phone. I don't like the colours either, but I assume they'll change as more themes are tested, so not a biggie.

Appreciate the issues with the app, but are there other options which would be cheaper eg hosting through Tapatalk or similar?

PS - Could someone do a FAQ for the mobile site in terms of how to make best use of it. I haven't worked out what the different colours for threads mean, or the arrows and I'm sure others will have similar issues
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 am

I really like the look of the new site, but would still be willing to pitch in with 10-20 quid a year to keep the app running.

The reasons for this (which all probably have to do with me having a crappy phone) are:

1. The browser version is much slower than the app was (on my phone). The speed is acceptable when I use my good WiFi at home, but really quite annoying if I'm 3G-surfing or connected to a weak WiFi signal.
  2. Using the browser version is draining my battery a lot faster than when using the app (at least I have that the feeling that's the case)
  3. Using the browser version outside of my home is quickly eating up my 1000 MB per month allowance.
  4. I can't get my phone to switch to T9 when writing posts on the browser, which means that it takes me much longer to write posts, and that they contain way more type-o's
  5. My fingers are a bit too fat for navigating the new site on the phone
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby The Italian Job » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:It's difficult to get to the last read post, as the arrow is hard to click on. Similarly, clicking a particular page isn't easy and I've got a largish phone.

If possible, it would be grand if clicking the topic title opened the first unread post. I don't see why that isn't standard procedure on every single message board for the regular browser version. It works like a charm for apps (mcf.net, tapatalk etc.) & once used to it, it's hard to get back to locating little pricky arrows or other nonsense. Just a suggestion, mind.

Otherwise, good work. I'm using the away theme & there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, but no errors & downtimes is certainly a plus!
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby Dunnylad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:13 am

Just a quick thank you and well done to the lads for the new site - not sure about all these coloured moving letters but that might just be me in my old age.

As a real app fan, initially disappointed at the lack of an app, the mobile version of the site is great and doesn't suffer from the login issues that frequently stopped me posting via the app - so despite initial reservations I am converted so will say a hallelujah and amen to that!
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Citybluemoon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks. Looks good.
Have only ever used app before so just thought app was down.

Dunno if anyone else has suggested this but maybe you could email all registered users to tell then app has gone and how to simply set this up on phone.

I'm not massively technical so it's taken me some time to get an icon for the site to appear on my phone where the app used to be
Citybluemoon
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin bell

Postby feedthegreek » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

its difficult to read anything on here, theres bits missing off all the letters.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm

feedthegreek wrote:its difficult to read anything on here, theres bits missing off all the letters.

Problem with your phone/computer, or cataracts?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 pm

feedthegreek wrote:its difficult to read anything on here, theres bits missing off all the letters.

I oon'l lliik anvone elsc is navinq oroolcms likc lhis. Cnecl vour sellings.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby gary james » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 am

All looks good. Well done, as always, on your efforts. Keep up the excellent work.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:09 am

mr_nool wrote:I really like the look of the new site, but would still be willing to pitch in with 10-20 quid a year to keep the app running.

The reasons for this (which all probably have to do with me having a crappy phone) are:

1. The browser version is much slower than the app was (on my phone). The speed is acceptable when I use my good WiFi at home, but really quite annoying if I'm 3G-surfing or connected to a weak WiFi signal.
  2. Using the browser version is draining my battery a lot faster than when using the app (at least I have that the feeling that's the case)
  3. Using the browser version outside of my home is quickly eating up my 1000 MB per month allowance.
  4. I can't get my phone to switch to T9 when writing posts on the browser, which means that it takes me much longer to write posts, and that they contain way more type-o's
  5. My fingers are a bit too fat for navigating the new site on the phone

Elsewhere today in news, fire was discovered.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 am

Are the news stories on the main page going to be updated quite regularly? I think they're a good idea, but another time consuming item for those involved and if left for even a couple of weeks, will leave the site looking a bit dated.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 am

craigmcfc wrote:Are the news stories on the main page going to be updated quite regularly? I think they're a good idea, but another time consuming item for those involved and if left for even a couple of weeks, will leave the site looking a bit dated.

Agree. Don't overextend yourselves. We'll still be here.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby ruralblue » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 am

craigmcfc wrote:Are the news stories on the main page going to be updated quite regularly? I think they're a good idea, but another time consuming item for those involved and if left for even a couple of weeks, will leave the site looking a bit dated.

Think the lads were looking for folks to edit the news stories Craig. Between perving at chicks in city kits you could have got yourself a job!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:30 pm

ruralblue wrote:

Think the lads were looking for folks to edit the news stories Craig. Between perving at chicks in city kits you could have got yourself a job!

There's a lot of chicks and 3 new kits.....
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum