Fernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernando

Postby Bluedj » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 am

Thought he played very well tonight until he ran out of steam in the last 15. I think him an Ferdi will be a great combination in midfield
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 am

He's getting closer & did some good stuff tonight, but Garcia would have mopped up that move at the end quite easily just by getting his body in the way, & City would have won.

Not there yet imo but getting closer.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bluedj » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 am

Ted, they were my thoughts in the last 15 of the game. Peller's out ;-)
Last edited by Bluedj on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 am

Ted Hughes wrote:He's getting closer & did some good stuff tonight, but Garcia would have mopped up that move at the end quite easily just by getting his body in the way, & City would have won.

This.

Think its just a lack of acclimatisation to the team, a few times he let things go as if a player was coming to mop up and they didn't. That'll sort with time though, All in all very impressive tonight.

Will say this though, his sprint is a bit odd, anyone else notice? Lots of arm action, looks a bit like he's got invisible skis in each hand as he legs it. Weird that.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 am

Blue Blood wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:He's getting closer & did some good stuff tonight, but Garcia would have mopped up that move at the end quite easily just by getting his body in the way, & City would have won.

This.

Think its just a lack of acclimatisation to the team, a few times he let things go as if a player was coming to mop up and they didn't. That'll sort with time though, All in all very impressive tonight.

Will say this though, his sprint is a bit odd, anyone else notice? Lots of arm action, looks a bit like he's got invisible skis in each hand as he legs it. Weird that.

Indeed, but tonight he showed a nice turn of pace to recover on a couple of occasions, which you can see plenty on Youtube but we hadn't seen so far in a City shirt until this game. I think there is a yard or two more to come though.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

This.

Indeed, but tonight he showed a nice turn of pace to recover on a couple of occasions, which you can see plenty on Youtube but we hadn't seen so far in a City shirt until this game. I think there is a yard or two more to come though.

Agree, looking faster as he's getting fitter, bodes well.

Also I like how he closed the "playmakers hole" (cue jokes) in the first half. Coutinho was dominated.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 am

Impressed me today. The way he raced back into position when the ball was lost and blocked a the path. Unknown in our Yaya.

Not sure whether he will play with Fernandinho, or instead of. For the 'first' formation either Fernandinho or Nasri has to drop out for Yaya and Fernando to play.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 am

john@staustell wrote:Impressed me today. The way he raced back into position when the ball was lost and blocked a the path. Unknown in our Yaya.

Not sure whether he will play with Fernandinho, or instead of. For the 'first' formation either Fernandinho or Nasri has to drop out for Yaya and Fernando to play.

I think he'll feature more in Europe in our 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Also isn't Yaya away for the ACN this season?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 am

john@staustell wrote:Impressed me today. The way he raced back into position when the ball was lost and blocked a the path. Unknown in our Yaya.

Think Fernando will rotate with both Ferna and Yaya, probably only likely to see all three starting together against the likes of Arsenal/Chelsea and the bigger teams in Europe.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby blues2win » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 am

The key thing that he has over Garcia is pace. He really can cover the ground which Garcia struggles to do. He's obviously not fully match fit but he already looks the business. He's no sea slug.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby phips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:03 pm

looked quite good today. hopefully he gets better once he acclimates to the league and to the squad more

if you watch a replay of the Ayoze near miss towards the end Fernando busts a gut from the halfway line to get back and get a vital deflection to prevent a goal
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:08 pm

so this was the octopus today.

saved us on a few occasions, including that important deflection on a sure goal to erase our lead.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:09 pm

That challenge from Fernando was as good as scoring a goal. Reminded me of Colin Bell defending that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Grew into the game and did well. Not overly enamoured yet but there's time.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Grew into the game and did well. Not overly enamoured yet but there's time.

based on what you saw today what are your major concerns?

he was all over the pitch, seems to be a beast in the tackle and not too shabby on the ball either.

with him in the game it will certainly allow us to push yaya forward which will suit us well late in games.

he still needs to adjust to the team/league more, surely, but he seems to be a nice piece.

surely he's seeming better than garcia already, who made far less of an impression until late last season.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:05 pm

Fans at the ground were talking about him a lot - and a lot of singing od his name

Really does get around the pitch - I was really impressed - in an understated way. He will be key to us getting even more out of Ya Ya - and good for Ferd
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Genuine question for those who have seen him before. It seems from reviews and watching him today he is great at breaking up play and a hard man in the middle but does he offer much going forward at all? Say compared to someone like Fernandinho or is he more likely to sit like a Dejong?
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby twosips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:59 pm

From what i've seen he's better going forward than De Jong. He's not as good as going forward as Fernandinho but he's definitely not some limited sideways passer.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby blues2win » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:00 pm

He sits really but he's got more pace than de Jong and a better range of passing than him. Great addition to the squad. Bound to get suspended every now and then. Most defensive midfielders are.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Grew into the game really well after a shy start. Was our best defender in the last 15 mins.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum