Fernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernando

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:DeJong got shit on here for years for not being good enough. Then he was indispensable then not good enough for where we are now, then indispensible again.

I bet some of the people were the same ones picking on Fernando now.

And it is picking on him. Any mistake he made, you can find instances of our 'best' players doing the same. Any criticsm of him going missing, you can find instances of our 'best' players doing the same. And any improvement they made in the game, he also made & was playing a full part in City's team almost overpowering Barca 2nd half.

I watch that as someone with an open mind on Fernando & think it's a good thing.

Some would prefer to pretend it didn't happen in order to have a go at hijm. But it did. He played well v Barca, when the team played well. He was smack bang in the middle of it. In our only decent performance in Europe this season, in Rome, Fernando was one of the best performers. If he hadn't put in a couple of absolutely brilliant defensive interceptions v Chelsea at our place, we would be pretty much dead in the title race.

If any of our problems were actually his fault & he kept playing all the time & costing us games, I could understand this kind of stuff, but pretty much none of our problems this season are his fault. Barca wasn't his fault.

It's purely just people deciding to pick on him. Nothing else.

Never boo him but I do want to shoe him, get a grip picking on him, ffs I hope turns it around, no fuck that it would take him that long to turn ! Will he play at Liverpool.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:DeJong got shit on here for years for not being good enough. Then he was indispensable then not good enough for where we are now, then indispensible again.

And it is picking on him. Any mistake he made, you can find instances of our 'best' players doing the same. Any criticsm of him going missing, you can find instances of our 'best' players doing the same. And any improvement they made in the game, he also made & was playing a full part in City's team almost overpowering Barca 2nd half.

I watch that as someone with an open mind on Fernando & think it's a good thing.

Some would prefer to pretend it didn't happen in order to have a go at hijm. But it did. He played well v Barca, when the team played well. He was smack bang in the middle of it. In our only decent performance in Europe this season, in Rome, Fernando was one of the best performers. If he hadn't put in a couple of absolutely brilliant defensive interceptions v Chelsea at our place, we would be pretty much dead in the title race.

If any of our problems were actually his fault & he kept playing all the time & costing us games, I could understand this kind of stuff, but pretty much none of our problems this season are his fault. Barca wasn't his fault.

I'm certainly not picking on the guy Ted. I really do hope he comes good. I just don't think on looking at him objectively that he is an upgrade as a footballer on any of the guys mentioned that have played that position before. By that I mean his speed of thought, control and technique. I have no problem at all with the effort and energy of the guy although he can look clumsy in the challenge. These are probably things you could criticise the others for too. I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until next season, but in the mean time I don't think he is equipped to do the job Pellegrini asked of him in the first half of the Barca game in particular.
One thing I will say for the guy is, he didn't go missing. He made some terrible blunders in possession, but at least he was looking to do something, I thought Milner was anonymous in the first half. He may well have a place in our side. He covers ground and might get up to the speed of the game next season, who knows. But what he's lacking cannot be thought to the guy at this stage. For City to progress, I think we should be looking for players that are technically better. Particularly with a reduced squad like we have, we need much more well rounded players.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I'm certainly not picking on the guy Ted. I really do hope he comes good. I just don't think on looking at him objectively that he is an upgrade as a footballer on any of the guys mentioned that have played that position before. By that I mean his speed of thought, control and technique. I have no problem at all with the effort and energy of the guy although he can look clumsy in the challenge. These are probably things you could criticise the others for too. I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until next season, but in the mean time I don't think he is equipped to do the job Pellegrini asked of him in the first half of the Barca game in particular.
One thing I will say for the guy is, he didn't go missing. He made some terrible blunders in possession, but at least he was looking to do something, I thought Milner was anonymous in the first half. He may well have a place in our side. He covers ground and might get up to the speed of the game next season, who knows. But what he's lacking cannot be thought to the guy at this stage. For City to progress, I think we should be looking for players that are technically better. Particularly with a reduced squad like we have, we need much more well rounded players.

Well there are two obvious things he is an upgrade on Barry & DeJong. He is faster & better in the air.

So there is the question as to whether he is as good at tackling etc, reads the game as well & is better or worse on the ball.

Well, he's miles better imo, in the penalty area than Barry or DeJong, no comparison. In fact he's better than our back 4 on the whole & saves their arses a fair bit by covering stuff they should be doing.

Outside the box, does he read the game defensively as well as Barry ? Not sure there is a player anywhere in the last ten years who does, so probably not.

Is he less effective than Barry vs a side like Barca ? Absolutely not. Both Barry & DeJong together would struggle to get anywhere near them.

Would DeJong be more likely to save the day playing in that role v Barca & perform better than Fernando in that team ? Not a fucking chance in a million years.

2:02 Milner Yaya & DeJong v Cavani, under the instruction of the great defensive wizard. (

Watch on youtube.com

These people are doing a better job than Fernando ? Or Pellegrini for that matter (nice set up for the 1st goal)?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

Tuesday was a worry for me progress in what way we looked like a level below when it came to the finer points needed. The ball turnover due to lack of qulaity was not just Fernando, it was a problem we could have seen us 0-5 at Half time, which again has papered over the cracks ad did the Bayern meltdown for me 10 men passing around us like school kids.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Well there are two obvious things he is an upgrade on Barry & DeJong. He is faster & better in the air.

So there is the question as to whether he is as good at tackling etc, reads the game as well & is better or worse on the ball.

Well, he's miles better imo, in the penalty area than Barry or DeJong, no comparison. In fact he's better than our back 4 on the whole & saves their arses a fair bit by covering stuff they should be doing.

Outside the box, does he read the game defensively as well as Barry ? Not sure there is a player anywhere in the last ten years who does, so probably not.

Is he less effective than Barry vs a side like Barca ? Absolutely not. Both Barry & DeJong together would struggle to get anywhere near them.

Would DeJong be more likely to save the day playing in that role v Barca & perform better than Fernando in that team ? Not a fucking chance in a million years.

2:02 Milner Yaya & DeJong v Cavani, under the instruction of the great defensive wizard. (

Watch on youtube.com

These people are doing a better job than Fernando ? Or Pellegrini for that matter (nice set up for the 1st goal)?

Your like Ben Stiller at the end Meet the Fockers " Can you Deal with that " Ted he is not good enough, along with playing with some soft arses who do not have the extra gears needed flat track bullies. Liverpool wil sort out the men from the boys, if we cannot exploit a team that are now tucked up in bed after a trip to turkey with or without the wheelie Bin, we are in trouble.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm

The whole team pretty much failed to do their jobs to the required level which is my point.

And look at the video above v Napoli, you can see an entirely different mdfield, all failing to do their jobs, even worse than on Wed. Piss easy to stop Cavani scoring either goal, but nobody does. It was the same when we played Bayern. It was the same in the Europa League previously. We've had 1 up front, 2 up front, wingers, no wingers, attacking managers, defensive managers. It's not down to Fernando, Pellegrini, 3,4,5 in midfield; it's a series of collective failures by almost everybody in the team, at different times.

Fernando is a new player who may turn out alright in the end. Even he doesn't, it won't be down to him if the season goes wrong, it will be a group of players not performing at their best.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:The whole team pretty much failed to do their jobs to the required level which is my point.

And look at the video above v Napoli, you can see an entirely different mdfield, all failing to do their jobs, even worse than on Wed. Piss easy to stop Cavani scoring either goal, but nobody does. It was the same when we played Bayern. It was the same in the Europa League previously. We've had 1 up front, 2 up front, wingers, no wingers, attacking managers, defensive managers. It's not down to Fernando, Pellegrini, 3,4,5 in midfield; it's a series of collective failures by almost everybody in the team, at different times.

Fernando is a new player who may turn out alright in the end. Even he doesn't, it won't be down to him if the season goes wrong, it will be a group of players not performing at their best.

It is down to Technique, and poise sadly we lack it like a Home Grown boxer is taken away from the Wythenshawe Forum and the undercards, he meets another fighter with similar plans but a better fighter.Who sadly confirms he is decent but not top class level. Your spot on it is not his fault and even I knew he had blinders in Rome, but he has had some very ropey games Ted, fuck me QPR, Hull oh my days he looked 39. We should be on our 3/4th title but we have a 6 mill a year club who have taught us and Milner who is stringing us along btw that they rule the roost, as I said at the time Mancini was a hot head, he was not wrong though when he flipped in Madrid and a ton of other times and we even tossed of a Cup Final with a sulk on, the players are to blame.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby getdressedmctavish » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Listen, the reason I don't have a go at Fernando is cos he cost £12 million . He might have proven to be a steal. At the moment he isn't. He aint quite good enough. He'll probably get another season and if he doesn't improve will be moved on. But at least he didn't cost £30 million! The people who are worrying me in this team at the mo are Zab and Komps who are playing poorly. The difference is, we know they can do it even if we don't know why they are playing shit.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Listen, the reason I don't have a go at Fernando is cos he cost £12 million.

And that is why we can't really complain. He was priced like that for a reason and should be a bench warmer for our team, being used to shore up the game late on. For some reason Pellers thinks he's the dogs danglies which sort of skews the debate a bit because in any other team we wouldn't see so many of his errors because he wouldn't be playing.

I didn't see who said it but I'm sure I just read that somebody puts Fernando above de Jong & Barry. Really? De Jong was better in the tackle and Barry was miles ahead in all depts.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Exactly my thinking too. He cost 12m.

Although one guy on here thinks that's huge.
And that we should have got fabregas instead.
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:30 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Listen, the reason I don't have a go at Fernando is cos he cost £12 million . He might have proven to be a steal. At the moment he isn't. He aint quite good enough. He'll probably get another season and if he doesn't improve will be moved on. But at least he didn't cost £30 million! The people who are worrying me in this team at the mo are Zab and Komps who are playing poorly. The difference is, we know they can do it even if we don't know why they are playing shit.

Two players who cost £12M combined.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:24 pm

Slim wrote:
getdressedmctavish wrote:Listen, the reason I don't have a go at Fernando is cos he cost £12 million . He might have proven to be a steal. At the moment he isn't. He aint quite good enough. He'll probably get another season and if he doesn't improve will be moved on. But at least he didn't cost £30 million! The people who are worrying me in this team at the mo are Zab and Komps who are playing poorly. The difference is, we know they can do it even if we don't know why they are playing shit.

Two players who cost £12M combined.

Clearly, we need to just start buying way more expensive players then. Duh.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby City64 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Listen ???

Fernando was embarrassing in the first half right from the kick off , this was THE big stage , the elite , he was fucking totally out of his depth . It doesn't matter whether he cost £12 million or 12 pence he was shite and more worryingly was absolute shite versus Hull who are shite !
Kompany and a few others were shite aswell Wednesday but Fernando isn't looking the part to be fair , nuff said .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:02 pm

City64 wrote:

Listen ???

Fernando was embarrassing in the first half right from the kick off , this was THE big stage , the elite , he was fucking totally out of his depth . It doesn't matter whether he cost £12 million or 12 pence he was shite and more worryingly was absolute shite versus Hull who are shite !
Kompany and a few others were shite aswell Wednesday but Fernando isn't looking the part to be fair , nuff said .

So was Milner, playing next to him.
When Barca put that kind of pressure on your defensive unit, you need top class link-up players with 100% awareness of what's happening around them to bail the defenders out. Yaya does that. Nasri and Silva probably could, but aren't disciplined or physical enough.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby City64 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 pm

mr_nool wrote:
City64 wrote:

Listen ???

So was Milner, playing next to him.
When Barca put that kind of pressure on your defensive unit, you need top class link-up players with 100% awareness of what's happening around them to bail the defenders out. Yaya does that. Nasri and Silva probably could, but aren't disciplined or physical enough.

True , but there is no getting away this player was totally out of his depth on the night plus his no show versus Hull . Now then Fernando actually had a very good game in a City shirt in Rome in the CL which makes this player even more puzzling ............. is he shite or does he actually have something in the locker ???? Pellegrini must have seen something because he keeps picking him ffs .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PrezIke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I was/am a gracia hater. However, towards the end of his city career he was having good games and was starting to make me think he was better. In some games i was gobsmacked how good he was. In the end i was glad he left because i realised i just wanted the poor lad to get better.

Garcia is not the standard we want at city.

^This.

Except I don't give a fuck if he got better after he left. I am glad we got a few good games out of him then cashed out before anyone realised the two years of shite we'd put up with to get to that point.

exactly. nice we actually sell someone "high" of late, although calling garcia's value "high" seems like a bit of a reach.

garcia never had the pace we need to cope with certain players that led to mares too regularly.

fernando still has potential to be better than garcia who i still think he is at least as good as.

barry is not a fair comparison because barry was replaced by fernandinho.

de jong? perhaps, but he was playing more regularly than we perhaps expect fernando to as we are a more attacking oriented side now.

either way, i'd like to see how he does next season, and even then he will hopefully still be a backup player or someone we can slot in if we want to use a 3 man central midfield.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:18 pm

All of you comparing Fern 1 and 2 with Barry and Nigle forget that they most of the time were playing together in a defensive midfield partnership. Fern 1 and 2 usually ate Asked to do the same job on their own.

That's the difference between Mancini and the Count. And don't forget how you all used to hate Mancini's overly defensive approach.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:33 pm

mr_nool wrote:All of you comparing Fern 1 and 2 with Barry and Nigle forget that they most of the time were playing together in a defensive midfield partnership. Fern 1 and 2 usually ate Asked to do the same job on their own.

That's the difference between Mancini and the Count. And don't forget how you all used to hate Mancini's overly defensive approach.

There is no comparison, Barry did all their jobs on his own, Fernando doesn't quite fulfil one.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:54 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
mr_nool wrote:All of you comparing Fern 1 and 2 with Barry and Nigle forget that they most of the time were playing together in a defensive midfield partnership. Fern 1 and 2 usually ate Asked to do the same job on their own.

There is no comparison, Barry did all their jobs on his own, Fernando doesn't quite fulfil one.

Barry was certainly better with the ball than both Ferns. I always thought he was quite underrated in that respect. He was also fantastic at reading the game and sussing out dangers. I loved Barry!
Unfortunately he was too slow to protect the back four on his own, which is most of the time asked of our defensive midfielder nowadays (not counting Yaya, since he's got a get out of jail card for that).
Fern 1 and 2 both have the athleticism and pace to do that, but especially Fernando is lacking some football skills. However, I do think he will look more at place when he gets used to the immense tempo of the Premier League.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Honestly, I do hope so mate, he's City player.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum