FIFA in trouble FINALLY over Qatar World Cup bid

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

FIFA in trouble FINALLY over Qatar World Cup bid

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 am

It might be worth buying the Sunday Times today, they have managed to obtain 'millions' (according to BBC news 24) of emails and bank transfers showing Qatar had a 5m dollar bribary fund to buy favour for their bid.
I would link to the Sunday Times online site but they charge for the full story so screw them. Here's the Beeb's instead.
(One pundit on News 24 has already said if it proves to be true, Blatter's position is untenable - which is music to my ears)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling $5m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

Qatar 2022 and Bin Hammam have always strenuously denied the former Fifa vice-president actively lobbied on their behalf in the run-up to the vote in December 2010.

But, according to emails obtained by the Sunday Times and seen by the BBC, it is now clear that Bin Hammam, 65, was lobbying on his country's behalf at least a year before the decision.

The documents also show how Bin Hammam was making payments direct to football officials in Africa to allegedly buy their support for Qatar in the contest.

Qatar strongly deny any wrongdoing and insist that Bin Hammam never had any official role supporting the bid and always acted independently from the Qatar 2022 campaign.

When approached by the Sunday Times to respond to their claims, Bin Hammam's son Hamad Al Abdulla declined to comment on his behalf.

Although the vast majority of the officials did not have a vote, the Sunday Times alleges Bin Hammam's strategy was to win a groundswell of support for the Qatari bid which would then influence the four African Fifa executive committee members who were able to take part in the election.

The Sunday Times also alleges that it has documents which prove Bin Hammam paid 305,000 Euros (£250,000) to cover the legal expenses of another former Fifa executive committee member from Oceania, Reynald Temarii.

Temarii, from Tahiti, was unable to vote in the contest as he had already been suspended by Fifa after he was caught out by a Sunday Times sting asking bogus American bid officials for money in return for his support.

But the paper now alleges that Bin Hammam provided him with financial assistance to allow him to appeal against the Fifa suspension, delaying his removal from the executive committee and blocking his deputy David Chung from voting in the 2022 election.

The paper claims that had Chung been allowed to vote he would have supported Qatar's rivals Australia. Instead there was no representative from Oceania allowed to vote, a decision which may have influenced the outcome in Qatar's favour.

The paper also makes fresh allegations about the relationship between Bin Hammam and his disgraced Fifa ally Jack Warner, from Trinidad.

Although Warner was forced to resign as a Fifa vice-president in 2011, after it was proved he helped Bin Hammam bribe Caribbean football officials in return for their support in his bid to oust the long-standing Fifa president Sepp Blatter, the paper says it has evidence which shows more than $1.6m was paid by Bin Hammam to Warner, including $450,000 in the period before the vote.

The new allegations will place Fifa under fresh pressure to re-run the vote for the 2022 World Cup, which was held in conjunction with the vote for the 2018 tournament, in which England were eliminated in the first round with just two votes.

Fifa's chief investigator Michael Garcia is already conducting a long-running inquiry into allegations of corruption and wrongdoing during the 2018/22 decisions. He is due to meet senior officials from the Qatar 2022 organising committee in Oman on Monday.

But that meeting may now have to be postponed in light of the Sunday Times revelations which have raised important new questions about the link between Bin Hammam and the successful Qatari World Cup campaign.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: FIFA in trouble FINALLY over Qatar World Cup bid

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 am

The trouble with people who think they are God is that they are not accountable to anyone.

Nothing will change
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 am

john@staustell wrote:The trouble with people who think they are God is that they are not accountable to anyone.

Nothing will change

Exactly. Bin Hammam even stated that it's quite normal for them to give/receive gifts, it's the done thing. They know it, we know, everybody knows it yet it still carries on.

This would still be under the carpet if Hammam and Warner hadn't fell out with Blatter. For me, he hung them out to dry to further his own cause and I don't think there is any way in this world that he didn't have a stake in bringing the WC to Qatar.

We'd call it corruption, FIFA call it business as usual.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:12 am

john@staustell wrote:The trouble with people who think they are God is that they are not accountable to anyone.

Nothing will change

This. Sad but true.

Nothing there that will change anything at Fifa. Until actual criminal charges are brought, OR all the european nations refuse to play in Qatar, nothing will change in that regard.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:25 am

Now that Blatter seems to be distancing himself from the Qatar issue, saying it was a mistake but it was the Executive Committee who decided it, could we now see a decision to retake the vote?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues2win » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 am

I wish that was true but I doubt it. Qatar would sue big time if there was a rerun. What is disgraceful is that Blatter will no doubt get yet another term as FIFA President.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 am

Corruption in football?

I don't believe it.
Original Dub

Postby Cit.revenge » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:11 am

I think that any sane person that the World Cup was purchased. Choosing to play football in the middle of the desert in the summer, I think bribed is small word for what happen there :)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:20 am

Problem for FIFA, or at least those on the committee, is the American investigator. Considering the US was one of the losing bidders, they're will be plenty of backing for him chasing the truth. They're will also be lots of 'clean' members who'll be glad for the truth to come out - partly as it's the truth and partly as it's not going to hath their chances of moving up the greasy pole.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:07 am

Quite interesting that FIFA are going through their own investigation on this yet the documents The Times have been given haven't been seen by the investigation panel, even though the documents have supposedly been leaked from inside FIFA.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:49 pm

The whole thing has been obviously corrupt.

What I do find amusing though is all these investigations by the Press now. I recall the BBC did one just before the bid and was widely criticized by all sections on the political and press world in the UK for being anti British and harming in the bid.
ross.mcfc

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 am

Just heard on radio that FIFA have made a statement that a re vote is now required after these serious allegations have come to light ! Bent cunts !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am

City64 wrote:Just heard on radio that FIFA have made a statement that a re vote is now required after these serious allegations have come to light ! Bent cunts !

A cynic might suspect a new vote offers an opportunity to top up their bank accounts again.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby saulman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
City64 wrote:Just heard on radio that FIFA have made a statement that a re vote is now required after these serious allegations have come to light ! Bent cunts !

A cynic might suspect a new vote offers an opportunity to top up their bank accounts again.

A gift that keeps giving. They probably leaked those emails themselves.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 am

Sounds like maybe the US is getting a world cup in 2022. Holla!
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

Well, the infrastructure is there, you know how to put on a show. Prefer it there than Qatar any day of the week, however I'd prefer about 70 or so other countries over Qatar as well.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:01 pm

nothing will come of it. all the corrupt cunts will get off and we'll still have the world cup in the shit hole that is qatar.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

That was certainly the view of the guy who led the English bid a few weeks ago. What Australia would say if it was just given to the US though is another matter.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

That was certainly the view of the guy who led the English bid a few weeks ago. What Australia would say if it was just given to the US though is another matter.

my point was just that they are likely to do a vote and that the US would likely win it.

Sadly, Russia bought theirs as well, and fuck England over in the process, but that won't come to light because Putin will kill some fuckers, whereas these bitches in Qatar apparently don't understand how to bribe, lie and cheat properly it seems.

[youtube]WE2vEtsc2io[/youtube]
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
my point was just that they are likely to do a vote and that the US would likely win it.

Sadly, Russia bought theirs as well, and fuck England over in the process, but that won't come to light because Putin will kill some fuckers, whereas these bitches in Qatar apparently don't understand how to bribe, lie and cheat properly it seems.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE2vEtsc2io">YouTube Link</a>

They only spent £3m for a start, the tight bastards. I was expecting about £3m a vote.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum