Other club's transfer discussion thread.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Other club's transfer discussion thread.

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Real Madrid sell 345,000 James Rodriguez replica shirts in 48 hours

Real Madrid have so far sold approximately £20million worth of 'James' replica shirts since the Colmbian forward was unveiled at the Bernebeu

Real Madrid are well on their way to recouping the reported £71million paid to Monaco for the signature of Colombia phenomenon James Rodriguez.

Spanish paper Sport have reported that, according to the company Euromericas Sport Marketing, Real Madrid have so far sold approximately 345,000 'James' replica shirts in the 48 hours since the forward was unveiled at the Bernebeu in front of 44,000 fans.

That’s roughly 7,188 shirts sold per hour worldwide and at £60 each equates to about £20.7 million in sales.

Gerardo Molina, Professor Emeritus in Sports Marketing said today in Sport:

"The expection is that the player (James) will sell product at the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo who has sold over one million shirts since arriving at Real Madrid"

RM always pulls this shit. What I would like to know is if they sold 20 mil worth of shirts extra than regurarly or if a lot of those people who usually buy shirts this year put James on their shirts. If we're going to turn football into an accounting sport, let's do it properly. You can't claim budgeted income as extra revenue. Or can you?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Real Madrid sell 345,000 James Rodriguez replica shirts in 48 hours

Real Madrid have so far sold approximately £20million worth of 'James' replica shirts since the Colmbian forward was unveiled at the Bernebeu

Real Madrid are well on their way to recouping the reported £71million paid to Monaco for the signature of Colombia phenomenon James Rodriguez.

Spanish paper Sport have reported that, according to the company Euromericas Sport Marketing, Real Madrid have so far sold approximately 345,000 'James' replica shirts in the 48 hours since the forward was unveiled at the Bernebeu in front of 44,000 fans.

That’s roughly 7,188 shirts sold per hour worldwide and at £60 each equates to about £20.7 million in sales.

Gerardo Molina, Professor Emeritus in Sports Marketing said today in Sport:

"The expection is that the player (James) will sell product at the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo who has sold over one million shirts since arriving at Real Madrid"

RM always pulls this shit. What I would like to know is if they sold 20 mil worth of shirts extra than regurarly or if a lot of those people who usually buy shirts this year put James on their shirts. If we're going to turn football into an accounting sport, let's do it properly. You can't claim budgeted income as extra revenue. Or can you?

That's a really good point. Presumably they have a new home kit out and would expect to sell a lot at this time. Had they not signed James, people would have put Bale or Ronaldo on their new shirts. Maybe he persuaded a few people to buy who were otherwise in two minds but it will be too early to quantify that.

It just goes to show how the media swallow club statements whole, without analysis.

He's still a good player though.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby The Italian Job » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 pm

£20m in sales doesn't equate to £20m in profit. If the figure of 345,000 is true, I'd put it somewhere between £4m and £8m.

No club is going to recoup the entire fee or anywhere close with shirt sales, but it is still a nice profit. Whether that's classed as extra revenue by some lousy paper is beside the point.
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:23 pm

I thought I read somewhere the shirt sales don't go to clubs coffers but the shirt makers & that's why Adidas/Nike pay clubs lots of money?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby The Italian Job » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:35 pm

It depends on the contract. Afair, Utd sell off all their rights, hence the obscene deal with Adidas, whereas other clubs such as Real Madrid don't. That's just off the top of my head, so don't nail me down on that one.
The Italian Job
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: El City

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:I thought I read somewhere the shirt sales don't go to clubs coffers but the shirt makers & that's why Adidas/Nike pay clubs lots of money?

That's how the scums deal is setup. Both Real and Barca get a cut of shirt sales. I've always wondered how Bayern's is structured since adidas own 9%.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:56 pm

cheers lads. Isn't ours one where Nike takes the profits?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby zuricity » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:I thought I read somewhere the shirt sales don't go to clubs coffers but the shirt makers & that's why Adidas/Nike pay clubs lots of money?

Today in a local paper here they broke down the costs of the new shirts adidas sell in Switzerland. Firstly they charge an outrageous price to Adidas Schweiz of about 50 Chf. Then the swiss company charges the team . With taxes etc( only 8% Vat here !).All along the way each one is making a massive cut bringing the total of 120 Chf for a shirt that is made under questionable circumstances for less than 10 Chf.

Quite frankly, in the future i will not buy any of this kind of merchandise that is not produced locally.
I've had enough of buying products made from cheap / under age workers/ etc.

Watch the Chinese company now listed on the NYSE, out Amazon amazon and blow Amazon away soon with cut price offers.

Serves the greedy none productive middlemen right.

It all still doesn't make the shirts that much cheaper compared to the cost of making them.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 pm

So Chelsea sign Drogba for a year. Could be quite a shrewd signing for them. He won't play every game like he used to but I'm sure he'll be great for coing on and grabbing a goal here and there to earn points. They're looking strong, very strong... on paper.
Looking forward to seeing how they cope.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Looks like Lovren is on his way to Merseyside for around £20 mil. Are they going to leave anybody at the Saints and are they now aiming for Southamptons position in the league?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Looks like Lovren is on his way to Merseyside for around £20 mil. Are they going to leave anybody at the Saints and are they now aiming for Southamptons position in the league?

If Koemans wife is a bit tasty that'll be the next swoop eh brendan you smarmy cunt
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Looks like Lovren is on his way to Merseyside for around £20 mil. Are they going to leave anybody at the Saints and are they now aiming for Southamptons position in the league?

If Koemans wife is a bit tasty that'll be the next swoop eh brendan you smarmy cunt

I just don't get it, I look at these players as average-good at best. If they are squad players then Brenda must be mad to think that last years team was as good as they finished.

Saying that, what do I know. I've never had my teeth pulled and polished.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

I just don't get it, I look at these players as average-good at best. If they are squad players then Brenda must be mad to think that last years team was as good as they finished.

I'm sure pool will get an easy ride from the media with this wholesale buying which we know all too well here is exciting but absolutely no guarantee. From what I can see theyve lost a 30 goal striker, replaced him with a couple of maybes and still only found one defender. But, as I said, they will get an easy ride. The venom and bilge is reserved for City, although we are being airbrushed out of things and largely ignored at the minute, which is probably better than venom and bilge but I set my standards low when it comes to reportage in this country.
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

I'm sure pool will get an easy ride from the media with this wholesale buying which we know all too well here is exciting but absolutely no guarantee. From what I can see theyve lost a 30 goal striker, replaced him with a couple of maybes and still only found one defender. But, as I said, they will get an easy ride. The venom and bilge is reserved for City, although we are being airbrushed out of things and largely ignored at the minute, which is probably better than venom and bilge but I set my standards low when it comes to reportage in this country.

Just watching the BT advert where we beat the Dippers 2-1. Class.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Liverpool have done what spurs did with bale, absolutely spunked their money on mediocre players. Like spurs, they would have been far better getting one or two, top class players, rather than 8 average ones.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

It's like when they splashed the cash on Carroll, Henderson, Downing, and Coates
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:04 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

It's like when they splashed the cash on Carroll, Henderson, Downing, and Coates

That's some loss on investment. Oh, and shouldn't that be 'Quartez'?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:46 am

Liverpool have done what spurs did with bale, absolutely spunked their money on mediocre players. Like spurs, they would have been far better getting one or two, top class players, rather than 8 average ones.

It depends though doesn't it. I tend to agree with you but it all comes down to Rodgers's skills and if he has a plan for Liverpool without Suarez now doesn't it? AVB could not handle it, perhaps Rodgers can? I don't know, do you? (serious question, curious)

£20m in sales doesn't equate to £20m in profit. If the figure of 345,000 is true, I'd put it somewhere between £4m and £8m.

No club is going to recoup the entire fee or anywhere close with shirt sales, but it is still a nice profit. Whether that's classed as extra revenue by some lousy paper is beside the point.

Sorry if I was unclear. The point is that RM (Perez) will argue that their spending is not extravagant or stupid because they recoup their extraordinary spending with extra shirt sales. When they bought Christiano Ronaldo a few summers ago that was their argumentation. It's their way of deflecting any similar accusations that City had to deal with and still deal with, on whether or not we (and RM) are running a sustainable business.

So the press goes "is this really sound business?" and Perez goes "yes, we recoup our expenditure with shirt sales".

That's a really good point. Presumably they have a new home kit out and would expect to sell a lot at this time. Had they not signed James, people would have put Bale or Ronaldo on their new shirts. Maybe he persuaded a few people to buy who were otherwise in two minds but it will be too early to quantify that.

It just goes to show how the media swallow club statements whole, without analysis.

He's still a good player though.

Agreed. Had he not been kicked of the field by Brazil it would have been a very different Semi Final.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:46 am

Besides the obvious fact that Colombia and not Brazil faced Germany, of course.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:Sorry if I was unclear. The point is that RM (Perez) will argue that their spending is not extravagant or stupid because they recoup their extraordinary spending with extra shirt sales. When they bought Christiano Ronaldo a few summers ago that was their argumentation. It's their way of deflecting any similar accusations that City had to deal with and still deal with, on whether or not we (and RM) are running a sustainable business.

So the press goes "is this really sound business?" and Perez goes "yes, we recoup our expenditure with shirt sales".

Don't know what Perez did argue or will argue, but it is not far from the truth, even though it may be exaggerated as shirt sales are only a small part of it. Madrid's turnover is through the roof, that's a well known fact. The fees may still be extravagant (which I would argue is part of their intention to uphold their reputation), but as long as they can afford it, it's no more stupid than 'smaller' clubs paying 'smaller' fees in the millions.

Also, selling Di Maria to PSG for £50m might help covering their expenses, as well.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum