Other club's transfer discussion thread.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Other club's transfer discussion thread.

Postby Dubciteh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Callum chambers off to arsenal for 16m, crazy money. Southampton may have lost a lot of their good players but they have got a fair chunk for them with exception of Lambert who I actually think will be hardest to replace.

If they Spend the money wisely I don't think they b much worse off. Clyne is as good as chambers and apparently they have a young left back similar to shaw in the youth team. Good centre half like Vlaar to replace Lovren and a couple of sneaky additions plus the two new guys they already got and they will be top ten.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Clowncrete » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Callum chambers off to arsenal for 16m, crazy money. Southampton may have lost a lot of their good players but they have got a fair chunk for them with exception of Lambert who I actually think will be hardest to replace.

If they Spend the money wisely I don't think they b much worse off. Clyne is as good as chambers and apparently they have a young left back similar to shaw in the youth team. Good centre half like Vlaar to replace Lovren and a couple of sneaky additions plus the two new guys they already got and they will be top ten.

It will be the morale at the club that will be hard to replace. The players now know that Soton are a selling club and will thus treat them as a stepping stone in the future. The players they sign will likely be passengers. The same has happened to spuds.

They are the strongest argument to why no club without outside investment can get to the top in the PL.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby phips » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Callum chambers off to arsenal for 16m, crazy money.

this is very interesting. more money on a young, backup than spent on the first choice right back?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Clowncrete wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:Callum chambers off to arsenal for 16m, crazy money. Southampton may have lost a lot of their good players but they have got a fair chunk for them with exception of Lambert who I actually think will be hardest to replace.

It will be the morale at the club that will be hard to replace. The players now know that Soton are a selling club and will thus treat them as a stepping stone in the future. The players they sign will likely be passengers. The same has happened to spuds.

They are the strongest argument to why no club without outside investment can get to the top in the PL.

Absolutely.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

It may not even be the end of the clearance (Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Osvaldo rumoured). Banking on players from the Eredivisie to (potentially) replace their top 3 scorers is a huge risk. They will go down. Best if they don't let Koeman, who is a shit Moyes, blow 100m quid on top of it à la AVB .
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Liverpool have done what spurs did with bale, absolutely spunked their money on mediocre players. Like spurs, they would have been far better getting one or two, top class players, rather than 8 average ones.

It depends though doesn't it. I tend to agree with you but it all comes down to Rodgers's skills and if he has a plan for Liverpool without Suarez now doesn't it? AVB could not handle it, perhaps Rodgers can? I don't know, do you? (serious question, curious)

It just seems so similar to the Spurs situation and imo that proved you simply cannot replace quality with quantity.
Spurs got 90 million (was it?) for Bale but ended up replacing an (arguably) world class player with 7 average ones and they were worse for it.

Suarez carried Liverpool hugely. Sure they did okay at the beginning without him but in that middle third of the season where they kept pace, Suarez was performing at a Messi/ Ronaldo level. He really was that good, at times unplayable and they need to find a suitable replacement.
Can Rodgers handle it? Well imo he should have gone out and got two or three real, proven top/world class players. Instead they've signed a bunch of average-good ones. Lallana is decent but title winning material? I think not. Remy and Lovren, the same. Lambert aswell is a baffling one.

They'll do very well to get top 4 this season.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 pm

It's a little different than Spurs in my opinion.
When Spurs failed with all those buys it was almost as if they were trying to replace Bale's quality with many others.
Liverpool, on the other hand, most likely wouldve bought all of these players if Suarez hadnt left. They desperately needed quality in a depth for the upcoming CL season
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Spurs needed depth when the bought, they didn't just buy for the sake of it. They were even more of a one man team than Liverpool before they sold Bale.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Dameerto wrote:Spurs needed depth when the bought, they didn't just buy for the sake of it. They were even more of a one man team than Liverpool before they sold Bale.

But there's no point in 'depth' and filling your squad if you do so with a bunch of average players which is exactly what Spurs and Liverpool have done.
Bale and Suarez were arguably two of the best in the world, you have to replace them with real top class players to stand a chance.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:Spurs needed depth when the bought, they didn't just buy for the sake of it. They were even more of a one man team than Liverpool before they sold Bale.

But there's no point in 'depth' and filling your squad if you do so with a bunch of average players which is exactly what Spurs and Liverpool have done.
Bale and Suarez were arguably two of the best in the world, you have to replace them with real top class players to stand a chance.

Interesting scenario with Liverpool and Spurs.

If Pochettino manages to get something out of all the players Spurs have (in the same way he did with the ones he inherited at Southampton), they could be an interesting side to watch out for this season and, in an odd way, there isn't quite so much pressure on him than on some of the top-four sides. He probably will be given a little more time than, perhaps, some others might be given to try and get the side playing how he wants them.

Rodgers, on the other hand, really does now have to live up to the reputation the media have carved out for him, following last season's second place. If Liverpool have an indifferent season and Rodgers' purchases don't perform as envisaged, who knows, the media could suddenly decide that he's not the consummate strategist and tactician they've made him out to be and hang him out to dry.

In a way, it's a make or break season for him and we might well see what he's made of....whatever that might be.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

i think spurs bought more highly rated or at least more widely known players last close season than liverpool have this time around, no?

soldado, lamela, paulinho, and eriksen were considered very good buys by the media as i recall.

perhaps with improved management think they could very well be quite a bit better if those players can settle in.

i don't hear liverpool getting the same accolades.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Tesl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:41 pm

So far I'm not very impressed with Liverpool's signings and fully expect them to go backwards next year. That said there is still plenty more time for them to get more players in before the window closes.

I think Utd will probably finished ahead of them next season. Hope not though.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 pm

the remy deal is off

looks like he failed his medical

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28385300
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:the remy deal is off

looks like he failed his medical

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28385300

They may as well go for Jay Rodriguez now...come on brendan
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Tesl wrote:So far I'm not very impressed with Liverpool's signings and fully expect them to go backwards next year. That said there is still plenty more time for them to get more players in before the window closes.

this indeed.

yet, who can they sign that will get them legitimately close to where they were last year?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Madrid's turnover is through the roof, that's a well known fact.

If it was such a well known fact, then it doesn't really make sense why the shirt sales thing pops up as soon as they make an expensive purchase.

I'd say that yeah, it's part of their thing to buy expensive players. Fair enough. But don't try to frame it as thrifty.

We should start measuring our acquisitions in beer sales, as in yeah he host 25 millions but that's only 5 half time breaks in the beer sales.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:36 pm

As an aside, I've just seen the 7-6 scoreline in favour of Bayern Munich, in their friendly against Borussia Munchen Gladbach.

What the deuce was that all about, or is that what is known as a tight defensive game ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:As an aside, I've just seen the 7-6 scoreline in favour of Bayern Munich, in their friendly against Borussia Munchen Gladbach.

What the deuce was that all about, or is that what is known as a tight defensive game ??

7-6 on penalties you spanner
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:44 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Tesl wrote:So far I'm not very impressed with Liverpool's signings and fully expect them to go backwards next year. That said there is still plenty more time for them to get more players in before the window closes.

this indeed.

yet, who can they sign that will get them legitimately close to where they were last year?

Mike Tyson ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:As an aside, I've just seen the 7-6 scoreline in favour of Bayern Munich, in their friendly against Borussia Munchen Gladbach.

7-6 on penalties you spanner

A friendly that went to penalties?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum