21 man Champions League Squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 21 man Champions League Squad

Postby blues2win » Sun May 18, 2014 3:53 pm

It seems that they are carrying right on with previous plans which means letting go a number of home grown players and going for targets already identified some time ago. With Sagna' Mangala and Fernando we'll be stronger than we were this year and well capable of going deep in the CL with reasonable luck on the injury front. We're in Pot 2 this time and so much depends obviously on a decent draw. If we can win the group we have a very good chance of getting to the QF and then who knows?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun May 18, 2014 4:53 pm

I am sure that the board and management are well aware of the home grown/club trained rule and will adhere to it. I dunno what they're gonna do given the rumors of alot of our current ones leaving and more foreign ones coming in, but I'm sure they'll figure it out. It's maddening to try and predict though
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon May 19, 2014 8:47 am

Saul Goodman wrote:I am sure that the board and management are well aware of the home grown/club trained rule and will adhere to it. I dunno what they're gonna do given the rumors of alot of our current ones leaving and more foreign ones coming in, but I'm sure they'll figure it out. It's maddening to try and predict though

We are in a deep hole of UEFA's construction - this issue goes to the heart of our competitiveness on the field in the CL next year and beyond. The club's primary objective is under direct attack.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:26 pm

going to be interesting….when do we announce the squad list?

people assumed Negredo would be left off cuz of his injury but if he's off and Falcao is on then someone else has to be left off.

Navas? it's gotta be. won't be a defender or CM.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:59 pm

phips wrote:going to be interesting….when do we announce the squad list?

people assumed Negredo would be left off cuz of his injury but if he's off and Falcao is on then someone else has to be left off.

Navas? it's gotta be. won't be a defender or CM.

I think the list gets done once the transfer window shuts.

Last year it was the 4th September, so I assume somewhere similar this year.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 pm

cheers. thanks

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:40 pm

City are only permitted 21 names in the A squad rather than the usual 25 as a sanction for breaching UEFA's financial fair play regulations.

The restrictions also limited City to 16 non-homegrown players, but the departure of Alvaro Negredo to Valencia on Monday spared Manuel Pellegrini a difficult decision.

Serbian defender Matija Nastasic, strongly linked with a move away prior to Monday's transfer deadline, is not included in the A squad but will still be able to play matches as he was under 21 at the turn of the year and can be part of the B squad.

City's A squad for the Champions League: Hart, Caballero, Sagna, Kompany, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Mangala, Clichy, Demichelis, Boyata, Fernando, Milner, Nasri, Navas, Lampard, Silva, Fernandinho, Toure, Dzeko, Aguero, Jovetic.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Unlike all the other clubs except PSG and Real Madrid our details don't include B list players yet

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... index.html
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:58 pm

i don't see how we signed Bony without guaranteeing him a CL squad spot, especially since thats basically all he mentioned in his post-signing reaction interview (which sounds like the only reason he joined is for CL football). so, the logical guess is for Jovetic to drop out. he's clearly 4th choice striker and is injured way too much. other people might surmise that Kolarov would drop out but unless Pellegrini is fine with Milner and Sagna being LB cover then I think Kolarov stays in squad and Jovetic drops out.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:00 pm

phips wrote:i don't see how we signed Bony without guaranteeing him a CL squad spot, especially since thats basically all he mentioned in his post-signing reaction interview (which sounds like the only reason he joined is for CL football). so, the logical guess is for Jovetic to drop out. he's clearly 4th choice striker and is injured way too much. other people might surmise that Kolarov would drop out but unless Pellegrini is fine with Milner and Sagna being LB cover then I think Kolarov stays in squad and Jovetic drops out.

When does the new list get submitted?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm

phips wrote:i don't see how we signed Bony without guaranteeing him a CL squad spot, especially since thats basically all he mentioned in his post-signing reaction interview (which sounds like the only reason he joined is for CL football). so, the logical guess is for Jovetic to drop out. he's clearly 4th choice striker and is injured way too much. other people might surmise that Kolarov would drop out but unless Pellegrini is fine with Milner and Sagna being LB cover then I think Kolarov stays in squad and Jovetic drops out.

Milner?

If Kolarov was to be dropped then Mangala would be cover along with Zaba and Sagna who have both filled that position in the past.
Last edited by Foreverinbluedreams on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:06 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

When does the new list get submitted?

It's usually when the transfer window closes.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:13 pm

If we are planning on being knocked out by Barca, then it doesn't matter, but surely any manager would rather have a full set of striking options if they were serious about getting to the Champions League final ?

Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League. Surely we would want all 4 strikers available for all 3 competitions, even if it meant we had to bodge cover at left back, or right back ?

I would anyway.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 pm

I think we have a better prospect of finding adequate emergency cover in other positions than striker from the EDS squad, so I expect to see all 4 in the CL squad. MP specifically said when commenting on Bony today that he was looking forward to seeing all four strikers working together. Admittedly that does not guarantee anything for CL selection, but equally it does not sound like Edin or Stevan are being let go or demoted. I suppose we really need to see who is next to be crocked before deciding who is in the 21 :-(
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Kolarov offers something different. Since Clichy, Boyata and, at a push, Milner can slot in at RB, my money would be on Sagna.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby twosips » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Sagna or Kolarov are the obvious choice. Even though he's been naff recently id still take Kolarov though. Boyata can fill in at RB if needed
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:Kolarov offers something different. Since Clichy, Boyata and, at a push, Milner can slot in at RB, my money would be on Sagna.

Not so sure mate, Pellegrini opted for Sagna ahead of Zaba on both occasions against Munich, I may be reading something into that that's not there but I felt at the time that he was worried about Zaba's lack of pace.

Kolarov on the other hand only started once, CSKA away.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:If we are planning on being knocked out by Barca, then it doesn't matter, but surely any manager would rather have a full set of striking options if they were serious about getting to the Champions League final ?

Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League. Surely we would want all 4 strikers available for all 3 competitions, even if it meant we had to bodge cover at left back, or right back ?

I would anyway.

A nice, inventive and instructive technical term Ted.

I like it and I'm particularly strong on the idea of somehow managing to 'muddle through' with our back line, as long as we always ensure we have the correct front players to pose a potent, goal-scoring threat against all comers.

That concept was my preferred option during last summer's transfer window, given our FFP restricted spending possibilities, but you already know that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby shortagain » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:22 pm

He could even be innovative the Count & go with 3 at the back. He doesn't change easliy, but seems to accepted a 5 man midfield can be necessary so why not. That would mean any 1 from 3 of Sagna, Kolarov or De-Michellis in that order for me. However as we get to the end of the window other things may develop or God forbid any more injuries
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby blues2win » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Mirror say Sagna's favourite for the CL axe. Means relying on Boyata or perhaps Clichy at right back if Zaba's injured. Will piss him off but at his age and pay he isn't in a strong position to demand a transfer.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum