21 man Champions League Squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 21 man Champions League Squad

Postby jimtolmie_tache » Sat May 17, 2014 5:48 pm

phips wrote:
john@staustell wrote:This sanction affects us hardly at all. We haven't used 21 players in the last 2 efforts.

1. Hart
2. Backup keeper
3. Zaba
4. Kompany
5. Demich
6. Clichy
7. Kolarov
8. Nasti
9. Center half
10. Right back
11. Garcia
12. Fernandinho
13. Yaya
14. Navas
15. Milner
16. Nasri
17. Silva
18. Aguero
19. Dzeko
20. Negredo
21. Jovetic

but if thats our 21 then it does affect us, if we're signing Sagna, Mangala, and Fernando and that equals 22 so someone will be left out....Nasti probably, which isnt really a damaging exclusion.

It won't be that 21 though as it needs 4 nationally trained and 4 club trained. Nationally trained would be Hart, Milner, Clichy and presumably Sagna. Then we're having to drop four of the others for the likes of Boyata, Lopes, Rekik maybe. It's hardly worth us entering to be honest, except for the fact that the likes of Aguero, Silva and Nasri want to play in it, and as soon as they can't do so with us, they will look to do so elsewhere.

Kolarov, Navas, Garcia and sadly Jovetic look the four most likely to drop out, ie keeping in the ones we can't do without. Though on performances since Jan, I'd lose Negredo and keep Jovetic.
jimtolmie_tache
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby blues2win » Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 pm

According to the Club we only used 21 this season with the same rules. How did we manage? Why not get a City trained back up goal keeper to replace Pants? Any suggestions? Stop all this gloom and doom FFS.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby jimtolmie_tache » Sat May 17, 2014 7:07 pm

blues2win wrote:According to the Club we only used 21 this season with the same rules. How did we manage? Why not get a City trained back up goal keeper to replace Pants? Any suggestions? Stop all this gloom and doom FFS.

I think last season it was only three club-trained players required, which would have been Micah, Dedryck and Johansen the third choice keeper. We had 3 keepers in the squad of 25, no point in wasting a third space for a goalie in the 21.
jimtolmie_tache

Postby blues2win » Sat May 17, 2014 7:19 pm

You could resign Nicky Weaver as a third choice goalkeeper and play him as a second goalkeeper in the CL. He's only 35. He's a free agent. Pants probably wants to leave anyway.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby jimtolmie_tache » Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm

blues2win wrote:You could resign Nicky Weaver as a third choice goalkeeper and play him as a second goalkeeper in the CL. He's only 35. He's a free agent. Pants probably wants to leave anyway.

Not 'club-trained', his youth career was with Mansfield. This is how tricky it is before the Academy comes on stream properly.

Goalkeeper is the one position where we really could do with a club-trained lad to stop it impinging too much on other areas. In July, Johansen comes back from his loan in Norway, so it may as well be him.
jimtolmie_tache

Postby blues2win » Sat May 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Fair enough but let Johansen take up one of the places.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby blues2win » Sat May 17, 2014 8:17 pm

It's also possible that Fernando will replace Garcia by the way. I can't see the point of both of them being in the squad especially if Rodwell makes the squad.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby twosips » Sun May 18, 2014 12:07 am

I presumed we're signing Fernando cos the likes of Rodwell have been shockingly shit. I'd be very surprised if he has a future with City.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Dameerto » Sun May 18, 2014 5:51 am

twosips wrote:I presumed we're signing Fernando cos the likes of Rodwell have been shockingly shit. I'd be very surprised if he has a future with City.

Players are required to have a number of match involvements over the course of the season to stop them being able to tear their contract up legally on a technicality (which is why we see so many seemingly pointless substitutions in the 85+ minute of games) - because of this it is easy to spot the players which are surplus to requirements (and which the club isn't concerned over losing). Micah and Rodwell both fall into that category for this season just gone.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 am

even hack Bernstein has noticed the problem
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 18, 2014 6:44 am

I'm not sure of the motives but Sky seem to be making a big thing about us moving on our English players. The players they are talking about are:

Micah Richards
Jack Rodwell
Scott Sinclair
Joleon Lescott
Gareth Barry

Now, that seems a lot of English players but in reality how many of them play on a regular basis? Two of them are sicknotes, 2 are out of contract and Sinclair was never good enough in the 1st place.

Looking at the 5, how will the loss of these impact on us going forward?

Also, by releasing these or loaning them out, surely it's a good thing that they're actually getting playing time and not sat on our bench?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I'm not sure of the motives but Sky seem to be making a big thing about us moving on our English players. The players they are talking about are:

Micah Richards
Jack Rodwell
Scott Sinclair
Joleon Lescott
Gareth Barry

Now, that seems a lot of English players but in reality how many of them play on a regular basis? Two of them are sicknotes, 2 are out of contract and Sinclair was never good enough in the 1st place.

Also, by releasing these or loaning them out, surely it's a good thing that they're actually getting playing time and not sat on our bench?

I think Manuel said in March that Rodwell will be here next season, not that it makes much difference to our playing strength given his hamstrings of course. He might well end up on loan again along with Sinclair but Micah looks gone - we can get some money for him I suppose. Swapping Richards for Sagna seems nailed on.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I'm not sure of the motives but Sky seem to be making a big thing about us moving on our English players. The players they are talking about are:

Micah Richards
Jack Rodwell
Scott Sinclair
Joleon Lescott
Gareth Barry

I think Manuel said in March that Rodwell will be here next season, not that it makes much difference to our playing strength given his hamstrings of course. He might well end up on loan again along with Sinclair but Micah looks gone - we can get some money for him I suppose. Swapping Richards for Sagna seems nailed on.

I don't think any/all of them moving on would affect us in any way and it would free up wages for incoming players. What I find strange is that Sky seem to be making a big deal of it when the reality is they are seriously under-utilised.

I'm thinking this might be a lead to further slagging of our club, along with todays story about Milner 'Quitting' us after the WC.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 am

I saw a comment that West Brom fans reckon Sinclair is their worst ever loan player.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 18, 2014 7:45 am

john@staustell wrote:I saw a comment that West Brom fans reckon Sinclair is their worst ever loan player.

I think he only played a handfull of games, as sub. They won't have him back.

The thing is, aren't all these English players needed for 'Home Grown/Association' rules?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues2win » Sun May 18, 2014 8:15 am

Lescott is gone and Richards looks certain to follow. Micah's injury record has been shocking over the last two seasons and he also suffered from Zaba's form. He wants more game time which is understandable. Barry's out of contract and Sinclair's shit. That leaves Rodwell who I think is staying for another season. I hope the reports about Milner are wrong and in any case I'm sure the club won't let him go at least next season.

Sky are having a go about City's treatment of English players but it isn't justified. English players are welcome at the Club but they've got to perform. There's nothing unfair about that. I'd like to see us have a crack at Barkley but our budget is focused elsewhere it seems. Sagna Mangala Fernando and maybe Cole look like being out. Hey one of those is English!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Wooders » Sun May 18, 2014 8:21 am

Well we cant buy any fucking english players now so whatta ya do?
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Dameerto » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Wooders wrote:Well we cant buy any fucking english players now so whatta ya do?

We could still loan-to-buy. Give a nice fat loan fee for a year with an option to buy at a certain price at the end of the season (so it's on the following season's books).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Would people really be bothered if we concentrated on domrstic football next season. Obviously all out for the Premier league, that is a given. Maybe give some young uns a run out in League cup. The pressure is off to a certain extent regarding winning trophies so we needn't go all out in League cup. FA cup depending on the draw, we can rotate the squad as necessary.

I know the Champions League will likely be owners main ambition but we have time on our hands. A reduced squad will mean it will ramp up the pressure on existing squad. Yes, we only used 21 players last time around but that nearly cost us dearly in the run as they were running on fumes.

Far better imo to concentrate on the bread and butter, (prem) and just see what happens in Europe. If we do well, then fair enough and if we don't then so be it. There will be the year after when we don't have restrictions to focus our efforts on Europe, hopefully as Double winners again
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun May 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Tbh I don't care about CL, but Pellegrini said in Abu Dhabi that next season he wants to go at least a round further and I think that reflects the objectives he will have been given by the owners.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum