Agent Van Gaal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Agent Van Gaal

Postby john@staustell » Thu May 22, 2014 1:08 pm

AG7 wrote:This is brilliant:

British journalists: follow these ten rules when interviewing Louis van Gaal

Dear British football journalists,

Congratulations on obtaining Louis van Gaal. From this moment on, you will be patronised, looked at with disdain, and haunted by a constant doubt if Mr. Van Gaal is flat out making fun of you or being dead serious. Before you embark on the journey that is having a post match interview with Mr. Van Gaal, you should make yourself familiar with these ten ground rules.

1. Be prepared for any possible mood
Contrary to many other managers, whether the match is won, drawn or lost is no indication whatsoever of Van Gaal’s mood. Even if he has won and seems to be quite happy, one wrong question can - and will - put him off.

2. Start neutral
Begin with a question about the match just played. “How did your team do?” or “What did you think?” will suffice. “You must be very disappointed” will not. That is because the match you saw and the match he saw can be very different ones. Mr. Van Gaal is perfectly comfortable declaring that a 0-3 loss at home to Sunderland was his team’s best game all season, just because his players were doing what he told them to do. It’s not always about what ends up on the scoreboard. Don’t enter the interview thinking it is.

3. Don’t introduce yourself
Or else he’ll know your name, remember it and use it against you. You will not be some anonymous guy with a microphone and a cameraman on his side; you will be Gary, or Clive, or Tony, with whom he will or will not have a feud from the get-go. (He will.)

4. Stay on topic
If the interview is about the game, you talk about the game. Not about the next game, transfer rumours or whatever happened on the training pitch. Every question about anything else than the game just played will derail the conversation.

5. It’s his language now, not yours
Mr. Van Gaal will come up with new additions to the Oxford Dictionary. In Germany, he inadvertently (or was it?) introduced the phrase Der Tod oder die Gladiolen, a Dutch saying meaning literally “death or the gladioli”: all or nothing. This is because if Mr. Van Gaal speaks your language, it is no longer your language, it’s his. It is not Mr. Van Gaal who has trouble speaking English, it is you, for not going along with his obviously much better interpretation of it.

6. Try to avoid the meta-interview
An interview with Mr. Van Gaal will almost inevitably wind up being an interview about the interview, or more specifically, him asking questions about your questions. This will be the moment you feel the conversation is slipping away from you. Switch back to the studio, or it will end up on YouTube.

7. Don’t repeat the question
Never mind - you will fail at this. You won’t fool him, even if you think your follow-up question is a cleverly rephrased, well disguised one. He’ll say: “I just told you”. This is inevitable. Don’t try to avoid it, just try to get over it as smoothly as possible, like you would at a speed bump.

8. Keep on your toes
At some point, you will think Mr. Van Gaal is joking. Sure, he does it with a straight face, but he’s joking, he must be. He’s mocking you. Or is he really this angry about this little thing you just said? No - it can’t be. You start to stammer. Ha! He’s just taking a… wait, is he? You will never know, as only Mr. Van Gaal knows. And he never breaks character.

9. Distinguish fact from opinion
This is hard, as only Mr. Van Gaal can determine which are facts and which are opinions. Which team was disadvantaged by the ref, or which team should have won based on the number of chances? He, and only he, will have the answer. These are the facts. Your facts are opinions. After the 1-1 draw of The Netherlands against Ecuador last Saturday, he called the 0-1 an “unfortunate ball moment”: nothing to do about it. In Mr. Van Gaal’s world, this makes perfect sense. In your world it may not, but you are not to point this out, as he will call you dumb.

10. Stay under three minutes
Try to get everything you need within that window. After that, the chances of hitting a conversational speed bump will statistically rise. You’ll start wandering into other realms of conversation (how about this or that rumour, Mr. Van Gaal?), or you will ask a question a second time, or he will say you did. After that, you’re on your own. Good luck, mate.

Original source: http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/05/21/bri ... -van-gaal/

Brilliant indeed.

Last season saw the end of United as a major force, hopefully next season will wrench away most of the media's fawning sickly admiration?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Thu May 22, 2014 10:53 pm

This is going to be a lot of fun.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri May 23, 2014 12:15 am

LOL. Scholes is a tad bitter.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Original Dub » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am

Can't wait.

Washed up cunt.

But enough about me :)
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:36 am

Very bored so just had a scout at the RAGs TEAMTALK site. All suicidal on there as of course no-one of any quality will sign for them anyone. Just wound them up with a touch of Shelley:

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 am

john@staustell wrote:Very bored so just had a scout at the RAGs TEAMTALK site. All suicidal on there as of course no-one of any quality will sign for them anyone. Just wound them up with a touch of Shelley:

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

. . . by "the lone and level sands" , I take it you are referring to the pitch at The Swamp ?
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 am

john@staustell wrote:Very bored so just had a scout at the RAGs TEAMTALK site. All suicidal on there as of course no-one of any quality will sign for them anyone. Just wound them up with a touch of Shelley: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains. Round the decay Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare The lone and level sands stretch far away

I've always liked that poem, too good for them. Ditto the White Stripes song where they sing 'Oh RVP'.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 am

So it looks like he met the dressing room:

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:43 am

PeterParker wrote:So it looks like he met the dressing room:

Chortle.

On another note. What are we calling this guy now he's the rags' manager? I've heard all sorts from 'Mr Lego Head' to 'Panface' to 'Butthead' but can't figure out what's most appropriate.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:46 am

van Ghoul?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06 am

I prefer Butt Head

Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby City64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 am

Weird looking fucker who has the job of steering a sinking ship .

I won't wish the cunt good luck lol.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 pm

mr_nool wrote:van Ghoul?

Absolutely perfect.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
PeterParker wrote:So it looks like he met the dressing room:

Chortle.

On another note. What are we calling this guy now he's the rags' manager? I've heard all sorts from 'Mr Lego Head' to 'Panface' to 'Butthead' but can't figure out what's most appropriate.

Lego head...I like that.
Im going to use that from now on.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby guv111 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:02 pm

That toupe is outrageous.

If that's his real hair the man needs to take a good, long look at himself in the (barber's) mirror.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 pm

probably laughing at seeing that Welbeck miss and thinking aloud "i told you so"
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus