Will it be another 3 new kits next season?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Will it be another 3 new kits next season?

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:34 am

I am a massive HATER of the way the club has turned into a merchandising machine.

They have a set outfit for travelling to games
They have a set outfit for warming up before a game
They have a set outfit for walking onto the pitch
They have a set outfit for training
They have 3 different kits a year EVERY YEAR

I know its to get as much money into the coffers for FFP and to get our revenues up, but FFS, I dont have to like it. I used to like knowing that one year we would change our home kit and keep it for two years because the next year it would be the away kit that changed. I used to look forward to the new kit, now its a hollywood drama unveiling and it pisses me off.

The club are promoting 20% off everything tonight and have already promote all kits from this season are available for 10% off fora while now! Which points to more kits all round.

To top it all, most of the merchandise looks utter crap with the exception of a couple of things. The retro stuff being sold on the OS beats the new shit hands down IMO.

[/Rantover]
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Will it be another 3 new kits next season?

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 am

Wonderwall wrote:I am a massive HATER of the way the club has turned into a merchandising machine.

They have a set outfit for travelling to games
They have a set outfit for warming up before a game
They have a set outfit for walking onto the pitch
They have a set outfit for training
They have 3 different kits a year EVERY YEAR

I know its to get as much money into the coffers for FFP and to get our revenues up, but FFS, I dont have to like it. I used to like knowing that one year we would change our home kit and keep it for two years because the next year it would be the away kit that changed. I used to look forward to the new kit, now its a hollywood drama unveiling and it pisses me off.

The club are promoting 20% off everything tonight and have already promote all kits from this season are available for 10% off fora while now! Which points to more kits all round.

To top it all, most of the merchandise looks utter crap with the exception of a couple of things. The retro stuff being sold on the OS beats the new shit hands down IMO.

[/Rantover]

You forgot summer training kit and then a winter training kit and then a champions league training kit......

There will be new kits by the way, its now the norm to have three new kits a year. I reckon we will piggy back on the England kit thing also with a £90 real shirt on sale. You get some extra air holes for a further £30.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby city72 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 am

I used to love it when we changed home and away every 2 years alternately, always got excited about buying the latest, had to order at jjb as they didn't sell city tops up in the north. I haven't bought a new shirt now for 5 seasons, I prefer to buy a retro top now for holidays.
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 am

The last 'current' shirt I owned was the 2009/10 home shirt (the first new Umbro effort). I don't mind the club releasing a new batch every year if people are gullible enough to snap them up.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 am

this is first season i havent bought them, i have everyone for the past 10-15 years. Only reason i continued to get them was to keep up my collection but cant afford them these days so no better time to stop that nike have taken over. In saying that i got a training top for christmas and i do like it!

I dont mind a new away one every year but should be keeping the home for 2 years, or as a compromise lets design an away that wont clash so we dont need a bloody third strip!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 pm

I eventually buy the new shirt when they are a year old and City are desperate to be rid of them. Usually pick them up for £15 and wear around the house.

I can understand why people feel they have to buy three new kits each year cos I once felt the need to however I'm glad I got out that cycle. just need to get out of the cycle of buying the programme now.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 pm

I'll buy a shirt if I love it.

The Nike stuff is crappy tho compared to Umbro. Some nifty training tops tho.

First year I haven't bought a top since I started following City. Last year I bought the away which I loved.

I expect more bullshit for next season.

You can vote with your wallet. They'll get the hint eventually.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:The last 'current' shirt I owned was the 2009/10 home shirt (the first new Umbro effort). I don't mind the club releasing a new batch every year if people are gullible enough to snap them up.

Same here ADVT with 09/10 shirt it was that last one i bought, the following season's kit was not that different and the price had shot above £40 from memory.

I am liking a lot of the retro kits in the link above, the 76 home shirt was the first shirt i remember owning with the umbro diamonds down it, i will be ordering that soon and maybe others too.

Oh what is a kit thread with out a picture LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby dazby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Since 2000 I've always bought every second home kit. It's going to take something pretty special for me to fork out. This year's gear was gashy gash.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Twobob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:04 pm

CTID Hants wrote: Same here ADVT with 09/10 shirt it was that last one i bought, the following season's kit was not that different and the price had shot above £40 from memory. I am liking a lot of the retro kits in the link above, the 76 home shirt was the first shirt i remember owning with the umbro diamonds down it, i will be ordering that soon and maybe others too. Oh what is a kit thread with out a picture LOL

That was the best shirt in our recent releases - the one after wasn't much different so i got the away one and then the one with black collars where needed to get the gold PL badges on!

The Nike ones this season were all utter shite, bad quality and that crest/shield looks like the work of a 5 year old (it prob was!!).

Don't expect them to be any better this next season so will prob save money again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Just the three?

There'll be "player spec" shirts retailing for more and potentially supermarket-level shirts too. I'm still interested in how they'll spin replacement kits mid-season in the next few years. Anything for money.

Saying that, put a sash on it again and I'll lap it up.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Just the three?

There'll be "player spec" shirts retailing for more and potentially supermarket-level shirts too. I'm still interested in how they'll spin replacement kits mid-season in the next few years. Anything for money.

I AM a slut for the sash as well. I've got a LS and SS one from the white number 3 years ago or so. Probably my fave from the Umbro rebirth.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Just the three?

I AM a slut for the sash as well. I've got a LS and SS one from the white number 3 years ago or so. Probably my fave from the Umbro rebirth.

Yeah I have that one too. It's all worn out and big now but it's definitely my favorite City shirt ever. It's easy to get the sash wrong though, the Le Coq effort a few years before was awful.

Did you see the Swedish away shirt a year or so ago? It was sashtastic.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Kappa was our best kit maker.

But fuck do they stick by midnight after a wembley trip.

He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:18 am

This coming season will be the 1st in which I don't buy all 3 for over a decade.

Seriously fucked off with the price for us doubling mid season. Not overly happy with te generic it was nikes fault response from club shop either.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby ant london » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:10 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote: Yeah I have that one too. It's all worn out and big now but it's definitely my favorite City shirt ever. It's easy to get the sash wrong though, the Le Coq effort a few years before was awful. Did you see the Swedish away shirt a year or so ago? It was sashtastic.

Fucking love the sash

Loved that kit!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Alioune DVToure » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:31 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Kappa was our best kit maker.

But fuck do they stick by midnight after a wembley trip.

They were nice tops but the laser-blue experiment was depressing. No need.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby branny » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:57 am

I don't religiously buy every kit. If I like I buy. Not bought any of this seasons. Only bought last seasons away when they knocked it down towards the end. Got my sash and 81 replica which are my two faves so I'm happy.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 am

I'm not a fan of Nike at all, and think the kits are ridiculously priced. Those sentiments seem to be shared by the most vocal posters on the topic here.

However, from the club's perspective, I guess we will now be selling more kits abroad because it's Nike - which seems to be the most popular brand in developing countries from my experience (in spite of Puma's heavy push into African football and other sports). So, what I'm wondering is this: Will the increased purchase of over-priced kits in other markets outweigh the decline in sales within the domestic market? I believe it will, and therefore, with FFP, global exposure and the like, it makes perfect fiscal sense for the club to screw over the match-going fans.

Now, the sociological implications are a bit different. In my opinion, this season it has been far, far more noticeable on TV that fans within the stadium are wearing old or retro kits. In markets such as North America (which we're trying to hit hard) and South America (less so), this makes the fans come across as loyal/long-term, and shows we have history. However, within the SE Asia market it may be perceived as our fans being poor, which may deter potential supporters (SE Asia is the most fickle football-support market, as a hefty proportion of fans will happily switch teams from season-to-season, depending on who they think will win the league). This may have a negative impact on our support (read: income) within the region.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby aaron bond » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:I'm not a fan of Nike at all, and think the kits are ridiculously priced. Those sentiments seem to be shared by the most vocal posters on the topic here.

However, from the club's perspective, I guess we will now be selling more kits abroad because it's Nike - which seems to be the most popular brand in developing countries from my experience (in spite of Puma's heavy push into African football and other sports). So, what I'm wondering is this: Will the increased purchase of over-priced kits in other markets outweigh the decline in sales within the domestic market? I believe it will, and therefore, with FFP, global exposure and the like, it makes perfect fiscal sense for the club to screw over the match-going fans.

Now, the sociological implications are a bit different. In my opinion, this season it has been far, far more noticeable on TV that fans within the stadium are wearing old or retro kits. In markets such as North America (which we're trying to hit hard) and South America (less so), this makes the fans come across as loyal/long-term, and shows we have history. However, within the SE Asia market it may be perceived as our fans being poor, which may deter potential supporters (SE Asia is the most fickle football-support market, as a hefty proportion of fans will happily switch teams from season-to-season, depending on who they think will win the league). This may have a negative impact on our support (read: income) within the region.

You raise some interesting points there.

The move to Nike will definitely assist our push to widen our global fan base. I moved to Singapore a few years ago and at that time you'd never see a City shirt, but now you do spot the occasional sky blue in between a sea of United and Liverpool shirts. If you go into a Nike store here now, you'll see all 3 City kits, plus training kits, t-shirts, tracksuits etc. Obviously the league win would have boosted our fan base in this part of the world, but having Nike's distribution network is a big factor in supporting that.

Regarding your point on potentially declining domestic sales, I'd be interested to know if that is actually happening or not. We always hear plenty of complaints about too many new kits or high prices, but are people still buying regardless? A few years back, when the club would only produce 1 kit (either home or away) each season, a supporter only had 1 new choice. Therefore, if he/she didn't like it, there was a chance they wouldn't buy it. Whereas now, they have a choice of 2-3 new kits each season so if they don't like one, there is a good chance they may buy one of the others. Just a thought, but would be interesting to see any numbers on kit sales over the years.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum