MNF Team of the season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

MNF Team of the season

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 am

Monday Night Footballs Team of the Season

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... e-dream-xi

Raheem Sterling!!!!
GAMES = 30
GOALS = 9
ASSISTS = 4
SHOTS = 40

David Silva
GAMES = 24
GOALS = 7
ASSISTS = 9
SHOTS = 47

Someone is having a laugh, Sterling over Silva, what a joke, Sterling is not fit to lace Silvas boots
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: MNF Team of the season

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 am

Says it all when they pick the Cardiff keeper who's conceded the 2nd highest amount of goals above all else. Most of those choices are based on stats and although I agree on many there's always going to be that 'My Favourite' attitude when it comes to picking players.

Sterling should not be there but with them winning the league a few weeks back it's hard for the Rag media to keep him out.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Says it all when they pick the Cardiff keeper who's conceded the 2nd highest amount of goals above all else. Most of those choices are based on stats and although I agree on many there's always going to be that 'My Favourite' attitude when it comes to picking players.

Sterling should not be there but with them winning the league a few weeks back it's hard for the Rag media to keep him out.

Marshall has been excellent and if Cardiff do stay up they owe him big time. I'd have gone for Allan McGregor or Tim Howard, though.

Hard to argue with much of that team, though Ferni can't have been far off.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 am

Marshall has a 68% save percentage, nowhere near the best keeper in the league this season.

Even Hart who's not had the best of season's can boast a better save percentage.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Says it all when they pick the Cardiff keeper who's conceded the 2nd highest amount of goals above all else. Most of those choices are based on stats and although I agree on many there's always going to be that 'My Favourite' attitude when it comes to picking players.

Marshall has been excellent and if Cardiff do stay up they owe him big time. I'd have gone for Allan McGregor or Tim Howard, though.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the frame, I'm saying it's just lazy and using stats to pick a player. It's obvious that Marshall would be there because of the amount of work he's had to do but his save rate can't be much over 10%. I had a look a few weeks back to compare Joe Hart and a lot of them average around 10% and I think the stand-out was Krul for Newcastle with 13%. I think Ruddy was up there as well.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the frame, I'm saying it's just lazy and using stats to pick a player. It's obvious that Marshall would be there because of the amount of work he's had to do but his save rate can't be much over 10%. I had a look a few weeks back to compare Joe Hart and a lot of them average around 10% and I think the stand-out was Krul for Newcastle with 13%. I think Ruddy was up there as well.

I'm not sure whether you're arguing the case for the use of stats or the case against the use of stats.

Marshall's had some big performances in some tight games which have saved/won Cardiff a boatload of points. I'd say the same for McGregor at Hull. One cool-headed moment in a six-pointer can be the difference between survival and relegation. All the players in that list have performed well in big games.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

I have to agree on Marshall. I recall him winning more points for Cardiff than losing them. The same certainly cannot be said for Hart. I don't really care about shot stopping percentages.

McGregor has also done very well at Hull. I suggested here that we sign him as a number 2 last summer. He has done alot better than I expected at Hull.

I can't split them when it comes to being Scotlands number 1. Neither have let us down and have made important saves in big games. It would be interesting to see if one of them moves up to a big club. It is one thing looking good when you are busy playing for a average Premiership/international side and another playing for a top side only called into action from time to time.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

ross.mcfc wrote:I have to agree on Marshall. I recall him winning more points for Cardiff than losing them. The same certainly cannot be said for Hart. I don't really care about shot stopping percentages.

McGregor has also done very well at Hull. I suggested here that we sign him as a number 2 last summer. He has done alot better than I expected at Hull.

I can't split them when it comes to being Scotlands number 1. Neither have let us down and have made important saves in big games. It would be interesting to see if one of them moves up to a big club. It is one thing looking good when you are busy playing for a average Premiership/international side and another playing for a top side only called into action from time to time.

You're just choosing to ignore the points Hart has saved us, for example his save from Coutinho to deny them going 2-0 ahead at the Etihad or his save from Podolski to prevent us losing 2-1 at the Emirates.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 am

Wonderwall wrote:Monday Night Footballs Team of the Season

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... e-dream-xi

Raheem Sterling!!!!
GAMES = 30
GOALS = 9
ASSISTS = 4
SHOTS = 40

David Silva
GAMES = 24
GOALS = 7
ASSISTS = 9
SHOTS = 47

Someone is having a laugh, Sterling over Silva, what a joke, Sterling is not fit to lace Silvas boots

So if City do go on and win the league, this MNF team of the season includes 1 winner only!! the rest are losers!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Chinners » Wed May 07, 2014 9:34 am

I'm always baffled how much people take notice and put any real meaning into these 'Teams of the season' bollox ... its just total fantasy league stuff tbh, it mean jack.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby bobby brows » Wed May 07, 2014 1:39 pm

seven englishmen says it all
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm

bobby brows wrote:seven englishmen says it all

cahill, terry, shaw, sterling, gerrard, sturridge
coleman is a mick
marshall is a sweaty
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Given the role Gerrard has been playing this season Fernandinho should be a shoe-in - but that would not be acceptable - especially when red scouse looked onto be the winners this season
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Return to The Maine Football forum