Aston Villa

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Aston Villa

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:00 pm

What is the point of Villa these days. A once great team with a decent bunch of fans that are drifting into obscurity.

They will probably stay up just, like they have done the past three seasons and will likely do the same next season.

If I was a fan of Villa I'd almost hope we went down. I'd much rather support a yoyo club than a team that aims for 15th every season.

They are almost in the spot that Boro, Blackburn and Wigan had for years where you wonder what they add to the league and know you would not miss them if they went. Wigan finally did go and managed to win a cup, play in Europe, get the the semi finals again and will be involved in the play offs this year. That's more excitement in 9 months than VIlla have given their fans in 5 years.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Aston Villa

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:What is the point of Villa these days. A once great team with a decent bunch of fans that are drifting into obscurity.

They will probably stay up just, like they have done the past three seasons and will likely do the same next season.

If I was a fan of Villa I'd almost hope we went down. I'd much rather support a yoyo club than a team that aims for 15th every season.

They are almost in the spot that Boro, Blackburn and Wigan had for years where you wonder what they add to the league and know you would not miss them if they went. Wigan finally did go and managed to win a cup, play in Europe, get the the semi finals again and will be involved in the play offs this year. That's more excitement in 9 months than VIlla have given their fans in 5 years.

There but for the grace of God....?

If someone buys Villa and puts some cash into them they'll be a major team again who are worth watching. Of all the fans of Midlands clubs theirs are the ones I have the most time for.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:What is the point of Villa these days. A once great team with a decent bunch of fans that are drifting into obscurity.

There but for the grace of God....?

If someone buys Villa and puts some cash into them they'll be a major team again who are worth watching. Of all the fans of Midlands clubs theirs are the ones I have the most time for.

Someone did and it failed. Why would anyone buy Villa?
ross.mcfc

Postby halnone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 pm

It looks like they are set for a "£200m US takeover" if they stay up. I could see them doing a lot better next season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ay-up.html
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dunnylad » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't know who'd buy they but did I hear right that Randy is looking to sell? Seems bored with it all ever since sacking O'Neill
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Is Deadly Doug still alive? Maybe he's still got a few bob in the bank
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dub City » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

If they are taken over the new owners will only be able to advance the club in line FFP which the current owners voted in favour of so large scale investment will prove tricky I would imagine.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Like most clubs they're just waiting for a rich man to court them, take them out and buy them new shiny things so they may then socilaise with the elite.

Until then they'll survive how they can, striving to sit at the top table so that they're more noticeable to Mr. Right.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I hate Villa. Possibly the most boring team to watch. I want them to go down..but then they won't get bought and maybe that new owner will inject some cash into the club and make it more exciting. Hmmm...decisions.
Saul Goodman

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:41 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:

Calling what Randy Lerner did, initially, a failure isn't true IMHO. His problem was he kept MON on too long and let him spend a big wedge chasing top 4 when he had a couple really solid seasons.

Their shit buys and resulting performances put him off more investment and here they are.

Someone with an actual long term plan and the wherewithal to support it would do well there. Same for Newcastle and West Ham I believe.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Chopper » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I hate Villa. Possibly the most boring team to watch. I want them to go down..but then they won't get bought and maybe that new owner will inject some cash into the club and make it more exciting. Hmmm...decisions.

Christ on a bike. Thought I was the only one. Hate villa hope they relegated. And southampton too. Ill take one now and one next season.
Chopper

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

some arrogant/rag type comments here which are quite embarassing.

villa are a big club, and have top fans. To me their are a similar club to us, much like west ham and newcastle.

Have easily been the most investable club along with everton and newcastle IMO.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:

Calling what Randy Lerner did, initially, a failure isn't true IMHO. His problem was he kept MON on too long and let him spend a big wedge chasing top 4 when he had a couple really solid seasons.

Their shit buys and resulting performances put him off more investment and here they are.

Someone with an actual long term plan and the wherewithal to support it would do well there. Same for Newcastle and West Ham I believe.

True about the spending under O'Neill towards the end...Villa had a lot of players on big money who were coming in without improving the first eleven and then not playing. If I was Lerner Id have been questioning transfer policy too
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

Perhaps time to dispel the myth that Martin O'Neill is a great manager
nottsblue

Postby Benjay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

Alex McLeish. In the history of clubs employing managers was there ever an appointment that encapsulated so much the phrase "doomed from the start". (maybe city appointing Alan Ball came close).
Benjay

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

Benjay wrote:Alex McLeish. In the history of clubs employing managers was there ever an appointment that encapsulated so much the phrase "doomed from the start". (maybe city appointing Alan Ball came close).

There is another obvious choice. Though to be fair he wouldn't be alone in being shit. Following Bacon was always gonna be a tough ask
nottsblue

Postby Benjay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 am

I thought about Moyes but they probably thought he came from the same mould as Fergie (ie Scottish, runs the club as if he owns it, drinks a lot of wine) and so they more than likely thought it would be a seamless transition. Re McLeish - appointing the manager of your bitter rivals who had just taken them down bordered on the insane.
Benjay

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 am

Benjay wrote:I thought about Moyes but they probably thought he came from the same mould as Fergie (ie Scottish, runs the club as if he owns it, drinks a lot of wine) and so they more than likely thought it would be a seamless transition. Re McLeish - appointing the manager of your bitter rivals who had just taken them down bordered on the insane.

It was an astonishing appointment. He made Pearce look adventurous and tactically astute. One assumes he won't be employed by another club in a coaching or managerial role again
nottsblue

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am

In defence of Alex McLiesh, he had a good record before joining Villa.

Took Motherwell then Hibs into Europe. As good as it gets for them.
First manager to Scottish club into the last 16 of the CL.
Had a better head to head record in terms of league wins than Martin O'Neil during their time in Glasgow.
Takes Scotland to within one game of winning a group with Italy and France in it. Guided Scotland to their best individual result in 20 years with a win in Paris.
Takes Birmingham up and they finish comfortably mid table in their first season.
Wins a major trophy against a much better side.

So they went down the same season, Birmingham were for about a decade a yoyo club. He did not do a very good job at Villa but has Lambert done any better?

I never understood why Villa fans hated him so much, he had been associated with Birmingham for two brief years and had done a pretty good job all things considered. Small minded stuff. He did not help himself by playing negative football but a team will fail if the fans make up there mind on day 1.
ross.mcfc

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I remember the press having a go at us when Hughes was in charge and holding Villa and MON up as a better model; don't see them retracting now.

That said, other than that brief period when Barry and Milner came to us, the Villa fans I have known have always been decent so I wish them no harm.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum