Next: West Brom (Home)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Next: West Brom (Home)

Postby AG7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion
Etihad Stadium, City of Manchester

Monday 21 April 2014
Kickoff: 2000 BST

Referee: Phil Dowd
Assistants : S Ledger & S Bennett
Fourth Official: Robert (Bobby) Madley

TV Coverage in UK: Sky Sports 1 HD (Sky 401) and Sky Sports 1 (Sky 407)
Coverage starts at 1930 GMT
-

So more important than this game is the one going on right now between Chelsea and Sunderland ... if only Sunderland can hold on to a draw (1-1 at HT right now as I type) ... and then tomorrow if Norwich can do Liverpool ... well, then our game on Monday will become real interesting ... oh, yeah we will still have to hope for a Liverpool Chelsea draw next weekend ... but let's get to that next weekend.

All we can do is win our next five and then see how Liverpool and Chelsea do ... such is the position we find ourselves and all our own making ...

We were given chances after chances this season to really get hold of the title but at every chance we were presented, we didn't take it ... so what makes us think that if another chance comes our way, we will grab it, finally?

- Chelsea first game, we could get ahead of the pack ... but no, we lost at the Bridge.
- Chelsea second game, we could have won at home and gone 6 clear at the top, instead we let them get 3 and come neck on neck.
- Arsenal away, after Chelsea slipped twice in a row at Villa and Palace ... but what did we do? We switched off after going ahead and came back with a draw.
- Liverpool ... coming back from 2 down to 2-2, we would be the happier lot if it ended in a draw ... but no, we had to gift them that one too on a platter ...
- And to top it all off ... if keeping up our end of the bargain in the race was all that we could do, we go and draw at home to the bottom of the table club ... criminal indeed.

So forgive me if I don't get excited if and when 1- Sunderland holds Chelsea to a draw, 2- Norwich beats Liverpool, and 3- Liverpool and Chelsea draw next weekend ... well, too many ifs and buts in there, and even if all fall in our favor ... no guarantees we will win five in a row ... and forget Palace and Everton away games, the very next fixture, WBA at home looks tricky right now ...

No Silva, no Yaya, no Navas, no Nastasic ... as far as injuries go ... and with Aguero just back from injury and looking rusty, Negredo gone completely missing, and Dzeko being Dzeko ... I am having trouble predicting an XI here that could self-motivate and do the job this Monday.

Should Chelsea and Liverpool fail to drop points this weekend (sure, they may do in future games, although games are running out) ... it will be a real test of the team's character and self-motivation this Monday ...

West Brom will be well up for it ... they have no other choice, being so close to the drop zone ... and perhaps having seen Sunderland take away something mid-week.

The team selection and how we play will also answer a few questions that have been raised of Pellegrini in various threads post-Sunderland ... can he motivate the players? can he set-up to their individual strengths given key players' absence ... or will he just put out the same standard 4-4-2 at home and then all will just run around aimlessly if and when we go 1 up and if we go behind or are drawing in the later stages of the game, we'll still see a calm and laid-back gaffer (and crowd) on the sidelines as has become the norm at Etihad ...
-

Team Prediction

Hart
Zaba - Komps - Demi - Kola
Milner - Garcia - Ferdy - Nasri
Jovetic
Aguero
-

Score Prediction

Manchester City 2 - 1 West Brom
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: Next: West Brom (Home)

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:52 pm

AG7 wrote:Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion
Etihad Stadium, City of Manchester

Monday 21 April 2014
Kickoff: 2000 BST

Referee: Phil Dowd
Assistants : S Ledger & S Bennett
Fourth Official: Robert (Bobby) Madley

TV Coverage in UK: Sky Sports 1 HD (Sky 401) and Sky Sports 1 (Sky 407)
Coverage starts at 1930 GMT
-

So more important than this game is the one going on right now between Chelsea and Sunderland ... if only Sunderland can hold on to a draw (1-1 at HT right now as I type) ... and then tomorrow if Norwich can do Liverpool ... well, then our game on Monday will become real interesting ... oh, yeah we will still have to hope for a Liverpool Chelsea draw next weekend ... but let's get to that next weekend.

All we can do is win our next five and then see how Liverpool and Chelsea do ... such is the position we find ourselves and all our own making ...

We were given chances after chances this season to really get hold of the title but at every chance we were presented, we didn't take it ... so what makes us think that if another chance comes our way, we will grab it, finally?

- Chelsea first game, we could get ahead of the pack ... but no, we lost at the Bridge.
- Chelsea second game, we could have won at home and gone 6 clear at the top, instead we let them get 3 and come neck on neck.
- Arsenal away, after Chelsea slipped twice in a row at Villa and Palace ... but what did we do? We switched off after going ahead and came back with a draw.
- Liverpool ... coming back from 2 down to 2-2, we would be the happier lot if it ended in a draw ... but no, we had to gift them that one too on a platter ...
- And to top it all off ... if keeping up our end of the bargain in the race was all that we could do, we go and draw at home to the bottom of the table club ... criminal indeed.

So forgive me if I don't get excited if and when 1- Sunderland holds Chelsea to a draw, 2- Norwich beats Liverpool, and 3- Liverpool and Chelsea draw next weekend ... well, too many ifs and buts in there, and even if all fall in our favor ... no guarantees we will win five in a row ... and forget Palace and Everton away games, the very next fixture, WBA at home looks tricky right now ...

No Silva, no Yaya, no Navas, no Nastasic ... as far as injuries go ... and with Aguero just back from injury and looking rusty, Negredo gone completely missing, and Dzeko being Dzeko ... I am having trouble predicting an XI here that could self-motivate and do the job this Monday.

Should Chelsea and Liverpool fail to drop points this weekend (sure, they may do in future games, although games are running out) ... it will be a real test of the team's character and self-motivation this Monday ...

West Brom will be well up for it ... they have no other choice, being so close to the drop zone ... and perhaps having seen Sunderland take away something mid-week.

The team selection and how we play will also answer a few questions that have been raised of Pellegrini in various threads post-Sunderland ... can he motivate the players? can he set-up to their individual strengths given key players' absence ... or will he just put out the same standard 4-4-2 at home and then all will just run around aimlessly if and when we go 1 up and if we go behind or are drawing in the later stages of the game, we'll still see a calm and laid-back gaffer (and crowd) on the sidelines as has become the norm at Etihad ...
-

Team Prediction

Hart
Zaba - Komps - Demi - Kola
Milner - Garcia - Ferdy - Nasri
Jovetic
Aguero
-

Score Prediction

Manchester City 2 - 1 West Brom

Cheers for that mate.

And you're right, we should just give in.
Original Dub

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks for the intro. I think the final paragraph poses a valid and worrying question. Let's hope MP can answer it in the right way. I think Silva may be fit? Late fitness test? His presence would make me feel much more confident.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Start Jovetic and Dzeko for me then bring on Aguero second half. We need to start with urgency and Sergio is not at the pace yet, Jojo seems closer.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Start Jovetic and Dzeko for me then bring on Aguero second half. We need to start with urgency and Sergio is not at the pace yet, Jojo seems closer.

Good shout.
South Stand Balti

Postby AG7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Cheers for that mate.

And you're right, we should just give in.

I didn't say we throw in the towel ... but just reality and facts where we stand, and what could have been ...

Now with Chelsea having lost to Sunderland, Norwich really needs to play out of their skins tomorrow and take all three against Liverpool to keep things interesting for Chelsea (and us) ...

Test for us on Monday is how well can the players self-motivate ... and how well Pellegrini can motivate them, as well as set them up to play to their individual strengths ... with Silva, Yaya and Navas unavailable ... how we set-up will be really important ...

Frankly not many teams have really won against us all season (even where they took away all 3 points or made us drop 2), we have almost always only shot ourselves in the foot more than others doing anything (with a very few exceptions) ...

For Monday, I am less worried about WBA, but more so about ourselves ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby AG7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Thanks for the intro. I think the final paragraph poses a valid and worrying question. Let's hope MP can answer it in the right way. I think Silva may be fit? Late fitness test? His presence would make me feel much more confident.

I will be hugely disappointed if he starts his standard 4-4-2, even if Jojo is the second striker ... and our team walks out looking like they normally do, i.e. starting off the pace, and waking up only in second half or when we go behind ... but I have a feeling, this is exactly what we will see ... and a very calm and collected manager on the sidelines with his arms folded, no matter how the game is progressing ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby AG7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Start Jovetic and Dzeko for me then bring on Aguero second half. We need to start with urgency and Sergio is not at the pace yet, Jojo seems closer.

Good shout ... I had thought Aguero coming off the bench in last game as well, given just back from injury and all but he started so I think there are more chances of Aguero and Dzeko starting than Jojo and Dzeko ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Tony P » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

All week I've thought we're playing West Ham. Was there a not a mistake on the OS?
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I want our fans in the stadium to turn up acting like we need to win 5-0. Let's get the win and then really go for it. Every goal maybe vital in the end.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:50 pm

After tomorrow our GD could be less than Liverpool's (but we do still have a game in hand). Obviously we need to win but we need to bang in some goals and get our GD back up
Saul Goodman

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:52 pm

I'd also like to see:

Hart
Zaba Vk Demich Clichy
Garcia Fern
Jovetic Aguero Nasri
Dzeko

Milner was dreadful vs Sunderland
Last edited by Saul Goodman on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Goodman

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 pm

We need to stop worrying about all the if, buts and maybes about a title challenge.
All we need to do is go out and perform and gives us something to cheer. Don't be thinking about Liverpool or Chelsea, I just want a good committed performance and for us to play like we know we can.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:17 pm

The only thing the players, backroom staff and manager should concern themselves with is the accumulation of three more points. Results elsewhere will happen, whether they are in our favour or not, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it anyway.

Full focus v WBA regardless of dippers result.

Hart
Zabba, Kompany, MDM, Kolarov
Garcia
Nasri, Aguero, Jovetic, Milner
Dzeko

We are at home against a poor side. Attack from the off and be relentless
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby gillie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 pm

Well if it was'nt already after today's results this becomes a must win game now.Arsenal and Everton are too close for comfort.No more half arsed displays or we may not even make the CL.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 pm

This game will show what both the team and manager are made of and set the tone of the run in for us. They have two options, play like we did the last game and bend over and admit defeat or come out all guns blazzing as though to say fuck you. If they take the first option I can see yet another big change or two this season and we all know that the owners aren't bothered about stepping in and making changes as they see fit. Yes we have had a shocking season with injuries but we have spent enough to make sure we had a squad to deal with this problem. No time to feel sorry for ourselves, a quick dust off and a final push forward is needed from the team and a few more bloody fans to get behind them too.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby The Original Special One » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 am

I agree with Pello: Nasri should now be taking centre-stage.
For the most part, he's been excellent this season but for a long time last season he seemed unwilling or unable to wrest the initiative.

Silva deserves a rest, if nothing else.

And speaking of rests, what the Hell is Fernandinho talking about players being exhausted.

For FUCKS sake: sounds to me like he wants to coast into the World Cup

Get the finger out: we pay your wages!

If we don't win tonight, we can say goodbye to another title.
Slacking will not be tolerated
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby blues2win » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 am

We haven't even got third spot or even a CL place nailed yet. We absolutely need three points and no excuses for not getting them.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby littlebig » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:41 am

Is Silva out for this? Can't find any decent info except for him being doubtful
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 pm

littlebig wrote:Is Silva out for this? Can't find any decent info except for him being doubtful

I have been having a dig around too. The latest appears to be MP saying the doctor will decide today. I can only think that means Merlin will have a late fitness test. His involvement is so important given Yaya is out and Sergio is not match fit.
South Stand Balti

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum