Liverpool fans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Liverpool fans

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 pm

This week my brother-in-law, who is a lifelong and ardent Leeds Utd fan, went into a pub in Carlisle and there were a number of Liverpool fans there.

On of them had a T-Shirt on which had the slogan "Remember the 96" displayed on it. Being a bit of a joker, he asked the guy how many of the 96 he could name and then, to his surprise, had to effect a quick exit to avoid a severe battering.

Perhaps it's a good thing, under the circumstances, he didn't make any mention of the Heysel Stadium disaster, the dead Juventus fans and all the following repercussions for English football.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Liverpool fans

Postby ENIAM NAM » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Fucking ridiculous story. Probably best keeping these to yourself in the future.

Your brother in law sounds like a right nob head.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby avoidconfusion » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:Fucking ridiculous story. Probably best keeping these to yourself in the future.

This.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:This week my brother-in-law, who is a lifelong and ardent Leeds Utd fan, went into a pub in Carlisle and there were a number of Liverpool fans there.

On of them had a T-Shirt on which had the slogan "Remember the 96" displayed on it. Being a bit of a asshole, he asked the guy how many of the 96 he could name and then, to his surprise, had to effect a quick exit to avoid a severe battering.

Being the idiot that he is it's surprising he didn't make any mention of the Heysel Stadium disaster, the dead Juventus fans and all the following repercussions for English football.

I fixed it for you.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:05 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:Fucking ridiculous story. Probably best keeping these to yourself in the future.

This.

He's as daft as a brush and thinks he can laugh his way through life......he also has no sense of danger.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Chopper » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:This week my brother-in-law, who is a lifelong and ardent Leeds Utd fan, went into a pub in Carlisle and there were a number of Liverpool fans there.

On of them had a T-Shirt on which had the slogan "Remember the 96" displayed on it. Being a bit of a joker, he asked the guy how many of the 96 he could name and then, to his surprise, had to effect a quick exit to avoid a severe battering.

Perhaps it's a good thing, under the circumstances, he didn't make any mention of the Heysel Stadium disaster, the dead Juventus fans and all the following repercussions for English football.

First problem identified, everything else is subjective.
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

What a fascinating story.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby littlebig » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 pm

He could've had no complaints about being on the end of a beating considering the lack of respect and decency shown.

Any reference to this tragedy should be made in humility with head bowed low to the memory of those who died in appalling circumstances.

Liverpool fans have the right to incorporate this into their identity and they are RIGHT to honour the memory of their dead.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Bear60 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

littlebig wrote:He could've had no complaints about being on the end of a beating considering the lack of respect and decency shown.

Any reference to this tragedy should be made in humility with head bowed low to the memory of those who died in appalling circumstances.

Liverpool fans have the right to incorporate this into their identity and they are RIGHT to honour the memory of their dead.

Well said mate
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Chopper » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 pm

littlebig wrote:He could've had no complaints about being on the end of a beating considering the lack of respect and decency shown.

And full sympathy and respect should be shown to families of the victims. Not to the bandwagoneer of a tagline thats an extra 14 quid on your jersey. The saddest was Trevor Hicks who lost both his daughters but I doubt bloke down the pub knows much about that.
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 am

There was one footballing occasion when I wished the ground would open up and swallow me and it was in 1985, on the last day of the season.

On that day, City were playing Charlton at Maine Road and had to win in order to secure promotion back to, what was then, the First Division. We had a number of injuries and we had a patched up defence with Andy May having to play at centre-back (he turned in a blinder that day), so there was great tension beforehand.

However, City were terrific and thrashed Charlton 5-1 and, as we were all happily coming out of the ground laughing and joking, one guy happened to say to me "have you heard what's happened at Bradford ?" Not knowing anything about what had occurred, I thought he was referring to a spectacular scoreline and, idiotically as it turned out, I said "No, what score was it ?"

The guy looked at me dumbfounded and then told me about the fire and the fear that a load of fans had been burned.

I still shudder today at what I said and when the full story came out, football was completely irrelevant by comparison.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 am

Chopper wrote: And full sympathy and respect should be shown to families of the victims. Not to the bandwagoneer of a tagline thats an extra 14 quid on your jersey. The saddest was Trevor Hicks who lost both his daughters but I doubt bloke down the pub knows much about that.

Spot on.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:04 am

How many more years will they bang on about it?
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 am

MilnersJaw wrote:

When they get the truth I suppose.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:25 am

Mase wrote:
Chopper wrote: And full sympathy and respect should be shown to families of the victims. Not to the bandwagoneer of a tagline thats an extra 14 quid on your jersey. The saddest was Trevor Hicks who lost both his daughters but I doubt bloke down the pub knows much about that.

Spot on.

So only family members of those who died are affected?
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

There is tragedy every fucking day.

I wish there wasn't but there is. Some tragedies will be paraded and worn as a badge by certain types of individual.

This falls into that category for me.
Original Dub

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:21 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:

the truth? no, they just want everyone to feel sorry for them and have something to bang on about.

the fans played their part in it as well as incompetence by the police, they need to move on. How much more public money is going to be wasted on a never ending witch hunt to narrow it down to one specific person.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:07 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:

the truth? no, they just want everyone to feel sorry for them and have something to bang on about.

the fans played their part in it as well as incompetence by the police, they need to move on. How much more public money is going to be wasted on a never ending witch hunt to narrow it down to one specific person.

I have first hand accounts of how horrific it was to be in that end, on that day - from people who were minutes if not seconds from dying and who broke ever rib in their body in many places on each rib. It doesn't just affect the families of those who died.

They would have preferred to have had closure at the outset and not to have been told that their statements had been changed, nor to have to listen to stupid pricks like yourself saying that they are milking it.

I suppose we should hope even you return from every football match you go to watch. Given what some public money is wasted on, then trying to flush out police officers who deliberately falsify evidence to protect their own arses is money well spent, I'd say.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
I have first hand accounts of how horrific it was to be in that end, on that day - from people who were minutes if not seconds from dying and who broke ever rib in their body in many places on each rib. It doesn't just affect the families of those who died.

They would have preferred to have had closure at the outset and not to have been told that their statements had been changed, nor to have to listen to stupid pricks like yourself saying that they are milking it.

I suppose we should hope even you return from every football match you go to watch. Given what some public money is wasted on, then trying to flush out police officers who deliberately falsify evidence to protect their own arses is money well spent, I'd say.

I'd agree with all of that except for the "milking it" part.

The families and friends are, of course, not milking it and they deserve justice.

The club are milking it for their own purposes and this isn't the first time it's been done.
Original Dub

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Original Dub wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:

I'd agree with all of that except for the "milking it" part.

The families and friends are, of course, not milking it and they deserve justice.

The club are milking it for their own purposes and this isn't the first time it's been done.

Now that may well be the case!! But it doesn't change my view that the OP's brother in law sounds like a fucking uneducated idiot and the board would be better if this thread had never been created!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum