Successful Season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Successful Season

Postby nottsblue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Lee_R wrote:On the pitch we have won the League cup, qualified from the group stages of the CL, Beat Bayern Munich at their place and twatted the rags easily. This under a new manager. Plus our team is learning more about each other each season so thats all good.

Off the pitch we've built a new youth academy, one of the best in the world perhaps. We are also extending our stadium and becoming financially better off! Infrastructure is probably the best in England.

A good season overall.

Excellent point about the off field achievements.

The revenues keep climbing which will counter FFP and give us a solid base in future dealings.

The academy when finished will literally be second to none. And that is worldwide.

The stadium expansion will only benefit us, increasing revenues yet further.

The tie-ups with Melbourne Heart and NYCity will also be a bonus and will probably help some of academy players get 1st team football and the experience of large crowds.

Plus any season finishing above rags is not a bad one!
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Not good enough for me.

Not bothered about the plastic Chumps League , but the defeat against Wigan and our performance in the Prem is not good enough.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby dikdok » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 pm

aaron bond wrote:Winning a trophy is always a sign of a successful season.

However, considering the resources we have, the fact we may potentially be outdone by Liverpool this season in the league is a tad embarrassing.

I massively enjoyed winning the league cup, particularly as up to a few years ago, it was something I never thought I'd ever see us do. But we can't use where we've come from as an excuse for our failures this season. If we finish behind Liverpool in the league, that can only be seen as a significant underachievement on Pellegrini's part.

All throughout the season I've been unsure if Pellegrini is the right man for us and I remain unconvinced. The season isn't over and you never know what will happen in the remaining games, but after the Liverpool defeat, our response against Sunderland was nothing short of abysmal. I don't think I've seen enough this season to suggest Pellegrini can deliver a league title. I do hope I'm wrong though!

Have to agree with this.

Comparing current success with the last 40 years is comparing apples with helicopters ie they are totally different phenomena.

We currently have the best squad so should expect the best results. When we had less than wonderful players then any win was wonderful. But that was then and this is now.

I don't think we have improved on managers and if that appears to be heresy then so be it.
dikdok
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City FC

Postby branny » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:59 am

Like a fair few on here I'm old school. I've entered my 39th year of supporting City so still getting used to winning trophies. We've won one this season so I'm happy enough.

I'm hoping that Pellers learns from this season because we've been poor against Cardiff, Villa, Sunderland x 2, Chelsea x 2, Norwich, Arsenal and Liverpool. Throw the Wigan, Bayern and Barca games in and that's a fair chunk of the season and it was mainly down to attitude. Still, I have faith in a couple of miracle results this weekend to get us back in it.

My hopes for next season are that we'll have better luck with injuries and that he'll move the players on that he doesn't fancy and sign some that he will use. I'm hoping we'll prioritise the league over the cl but doubt that'll happen.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 am

dikdok wrote:
aaron bond wrote:Winning a trophy is always a sign of a successful season.

However, considering the resources we have, the fact we may potentially be outdone by Liverpool this season in the league is a tad embarrassing.

I massively enjoyed winning the league cup, particularly as up to a few years ago, it was something I never thought I'd ever see us do. But we can't use where we've come from as an excuse for our failures this season. If we finish behind Liverpool in the league, that can only be seen as a significant underachievement on Pellegrini's part.

All throughout the season I've been unsure if Pellegrini is the right man for us and I remain unconvinced. The season isn't over and you never know what will happen in the remaining games, but after the Liverpool defeat, our response against Sunderland was nothing short of abysmal. I don't think I've seen enough this season to suggest Pellegrini can deliver a league title. I do hope I'm wrong though!

Have to agree with this.

Comparing current success with the last 40 years is comparing apples with helicopters ie they are totally different phenomena.

We currently have the best squad so should expect the best results. When we had less than wonderful players then any win was wonderful. But that was then and this is now.

I don't think we have improved on managers and if that appears to be heresy then so be it.

You are being fair, however to fair, the squad and management have the best of everything, facilities , players, we are geared up for serial winning, to be fair one pot would be great, however both Chelsea and Liverpool have done better with less ability, that is a major issue and the same as last season, Rodgers a baby in management years has done an incredible job, the Chelsea twat has done us twice, which is going to possibly win him the league as I would not put it past him to burst the dippers bubble. We are a cosy country club rich players no belly for a battle, the facts don't lie. Something is wrong at City, players and management are soft, and it has shown. Hope I am wrong for me we do not even keep the season honest and push for 5 wins it falls away like last season.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Benjay » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 am

Reasons to be positive -

1) We have/will qualified for the Champs League again.
2) Qualifying for the CL is now taken as red every season.
3) The club is very well run. Khaldoon and Co have proven that City are not just toy to play with.
4) The club has a lot of money.
5) Despite the above, City fans remain grounded IMO - never forgetting where we have come from.
6) We - on paper - have a good squad with the ability to change things financially. Players not deemed up for it are saleable assets. No more getting stuck with players like Wayne Bridge.
7) We won a cup. 5 years ago just a trip to Wembley would have been a pipe dream.
8) Last 3 seasons we have finished 1st, 2nd and maybe 2nd/3rd. It does not read too badly in a highly competitive league. This is not the Scottish Premier or Bundesliga.
9) City are becoming a global brand.
10) Whatever his shortcomings Pellers has built a happier squad. Bullies do not always prosper as manager. Jose is no bully nor is Rodgers. There are examples for and against but the performance in the final against Wigan was more a protest than a bad day at the office.
11) We have a great youth set up with a manager who will probably step up to the top job at some point.
12) We are no more a yo yo club struggling to buy and sell, who wheel out Tony Book, Buzza etc ( god bless them all) to remind us that we won a League Cup in the 70's. We are here and now a force. The press may not recognise it but do we need their attention? We are going nowhere, we are ambitious and we will strive to improve. Abu Dhabi want that, Txixi wants that, the fans want it, and soon ALL the players will want it.
Benjay
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby geepeetee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:08 am

Benjay wrote:Reasons to be positive -

1) We have/will qualified for the Champs League again.
2) Qualifying for the CL is now taken as red every season.
3) The club is very well run. Khaldoon and Co have proven that City are not just toy to play with.
4) The club has a lot of money.
5) Despite the above, City fans remain grounded IMO - never forgetting where we have come from.
6) We - on paper - have a good squad with the ability to change things financially. Players not deemed up for it are saleable assets. No more getting stuck with players like Wayne Bridge.
7) We won a cup. 5 years ago just a trip to Wembley would have been a pipe dream.
8) Last 3 seasons we have finished 1st, 2nd and maybe 2nd/3rd. It does not read too badly in a highly competitive league. This is not the Scottish Premier or Bundesliga.
9) City are becoming a global brand.
10) Whatever his shortcomings Pellers has built a happier squad. Bullies do not always prosper as manager. Jose is no bully nor is Rodgers. There are examples for and against but the performance in the final against Wigan was more a protest than a bad day at the office.
11) We have a great youth set up with a manager who will probably step up to the top job at some point.
12) We are no more a yo yo club struggling to buy and sell, who wheel out Tony Book, Buzza etc ( god bless them all) to remind us that we won a League Cup in the 70's. We are here and now a force. The press may not recognise it but do we need their attention? We are going nowhere, we are ambitious and we will strive to improve. Abu Dhabi want that, Txixi wants that, the fans want it, and soon ALL the players will want it.

This⬆+ 1
geepeetee

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Kompany

Postby TheBlueCatsWhiskers » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 am

Benjay wrote:Reasons to be positive - 1) We have/will qualified for the Champs League again. 2) Qualifying for the CL is now taken as red every season. 3) The club is very well run. Khaldoon and Co have proven that City are not just toy to play with. 4) The club has a lot of money. 5) Despite the above, City fans remain grounded IMO - never forgetting where we have come from. 6) We - on paper - have a good squad with the ability to change things financially. Players not deemed up for it are saleable assets. No more getting stuck with players like Wayne Bridge. 7) We won a cup. 5 years ago just a trip to Wembley would have been a pipe dream. 8) Last 3 seasons we have finished 1st, 2nd and maybe 2nd/3rd. It does not read too badly in a highly competitive league. This is not the Scottish Premier or Bundesliga. 9) City are becoming a global brand. 10) Whatever his shortcomings Pellers has built a happier squad. Bullies do not always prosper as manager. Jose is no bully nor is Rodgers. There are examples for and against but the performance in the final against Wigan was more a protest than a bad day at the office. 11) We have a great youth set up with a manager who will probably step up to the top job at some point. 12) We are no more a yo yo club struggling to buy and sell, who wheel out Tony Book, Buzza etc ( god bless them all) to remind us that we won a League Cup in the 70's. We are here and now a force. The press may not recognise it but do we need their attention? We are going nowhere, we are ambitious and we will strive to improve. Abu Dhabi want that, Txixi wants that, the fans want it, and soon ALL the players will want it.

This team still have work to do. Tough away games at Palace and Everton. Teams breathing down our neck. I would settle for third.
TheBlueCatsWhiskers

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:33 am

As others have said, the main issue for us is that when we've had the chance to really grab hold of this title race we have failed. Chelsea at home being the first one, a win there would have put us six points clear and in my opinion we would have gone on to win the title and really taken momentum from that.
Arsenal away being the second one, we were outplaying them, took an early lead but then messed up a load of great situations and ended up hanging on for a draw. We really should have won that.
Finally the Liverpool game, a chance to go five points clear, we do brilliantly to get back into the game but an individual error cost us.

We all know we have the ability, but perhaps not the mental strength we showed in the run in two seasons ago.
Champions would win those games. How many times did we see Taggart sides go away to places such as the Emirates, White Hart Lane and Anfield and come away with victories at the business end of the season with far worse sides then our current one?
Similarly that first leg against Barcelona, we were like a deer in the headlights, so frightened.

I do like Pellegrini and want him to be given another season at least. Some of the football we have produced has been wonderful and the season has been very entertaining but perhaps he doesn't have that ruthlessness and desire in the home straight that we need. Only time will tell.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum