***Liverpool Ladies v Manchester City Women PREVIEW***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Liverpool Ladies v Manchester City Women PREVIEW***

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Possibly the most challenging preview I’ll write this season when there are others blatantly more qualified but I’ll admit I’m very excited about the Women’s team and I’ll give it my best go. I apologise for City’s form when I’ve written a preview this season, appalling! Please send all anger to @robmckay86

[center]Liverpool Ladies v Manchester City Women
Thursday 17th April 2014, 7.45pm KO
Women’s Super League
Select Security Stadium, Widnes, WA8 7DZ.
Live on BTSPORT1
£5 for adults and £2.50 for Concessions

MANCHESTER CITY: Ruining Women’s Football Since 2013…

1921 The FA bans women from playing on football league grounds, “…the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged."[/center]

England has a strange relationship with football when it comes to the women’s game. If you even manage to get a conversation off the ground beyond the response of “its crap…” you have achieved something. Although most sports in the UK involving women are dismissed unless at the very highest level, Women’s football at the highest level has remained hugely indifferent in the psyche of English public in the modern era. Although in a bygone era there are reports of attendances at women’s games superseding attendances of their male counterparts, largely in part due to the FA the domestic landscape for the women’s game has largely been a wilderness, with minimal attendances, non-existent media coverage and our best players leaving to play abroad whilst our national team failed to qualify for international tournaments.

However, for once, credit must go to the FA who set up the Women’s football committee in 1993 and outlined its plans to develop the women’s game from grassroots to elite level before they appointed Hope Powell as the first full time coach for the England women’s team. Highlights included hosting the Euro’s in 2005, qualifying for the World cup in 2006 and culminated in Great Britain defeating Brazil in front of 70,000 people at Wembley in the best game of football at the whole Olympics. Domestically the FA formed the Women’s Super League (WSL) in 2010 and began play in 2012 with Arsenal, the women’s team of the last decade being crowned first ever Champions.

I have to say three of the women’s matches I’ve been to have ranked amongst the most entertaining games I’ve ever watched. My first exposure to women’s football was at the Women’s European Championships at the Etihad in 2050 when England took on Finland in the opening game in front of a then European Record attendance of about 29,000 with England blowing a 2-0 lead before winning it in stoppage time thanks to a goal from a then 17 year old Karen Carney (I wished we’d have signed her).

The first domestic game I went to was the Women’s Community Shield in 2008 at the Moss Rose when Arsenal beat Everton in a thrilling game where Jill Scott was man of the match, Kelly Smith scored the winner and both goalkeepers pulled off a string of brilliant saves (frustratingly despite the game being live on Setanta I can’t find any information about it). The smaller pitch complemented the greater emphasis on the technical skills that the women’s game possesses.

As for WSL, I saw Arsenal Ladies second time in August when they took on Liverpool Ladies at Widnes. Despite Kelly Smith not playing Arsenal played in such a manner that might have given Wilshire and Ozil a bit of trouble and thrashed them 3-0 in decent game that will be remembered for Arsenal fielding an ineligible player that ultimately handed Liverpool the tile.

[center]Liverpool Ladies

Image[/center]

For the women the fear of having to live with Liverpool as the Champions of England already exists as they are the reigning WS L Champions will be a formidable outfit this season having gone full time over the winter (UEFA FFP anyone). Despite having only seen them a couple of times my spies (not the sis) have sent me a scouting report of those to look out for.

[center]
Fara Williams – “the Steven Gerrard of the midfield”

Natasha Dowie – “winner of golden boot last season and recalled to the England team”

Lucy Bronze – “Like a Duracell bunny, runs all day long at right back”

“Although currently injured look out for Nicole Rolser after ACL reconstruction!”

In addition Katie Zelem is an “up and coming youngster in the mould of Fara Williams!”

Manchester City
Image[/center]

It was an exciting time, reminiscent of the days of Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor arriving at the Etihad, when City announced the signing of five internationals over the Christmas period. In WSL there is a salary cap limiting the spending of the club, as rumours of Hope Solo spread, but it was good to see that City have handed opportunities to a lot of the existing squad. I think they would have done that anyway regardless of financial restrictions but any media coverage that the women get this season will start and end with the high profile signings.

In case you missed it those who arrived were:

Karen Bardsley – 29 – The 5’11’ American born England goalkeeper arrived from Lincoln Ladies but has travelled the world to play her football having taken in Holland, USA and Sweden on her travels.

Steph Houghton – 25 - A goalscoring left back who arrived from Arsenal has been capped by England and represented Team GB at the Olympics scoring in all three group games

Jill Scott – 27 – Like Steph Houghton Jill Scott is originally from Sunderland’s women’s team having spent the last seven years at Everton. A central midfield who can cover lots of ground.

Toni Duggan – 22 – 11 goals in 16 appearances for England and has scored two for City on her debut in the FA Cup last Sunday, a goalscorer who has also left Everton and according to her Wikipedia page used to be a Morris dancer as a child.

Betsy Hassett – 23 –Another Olympian representing New Zealand at the 2012 Olympics who has arrived from Germany having also played in America.

Predicition

PAIN! – no wait that was Clubber Lang. In all honesty I don’t know but I promise if that you watch it you will more than likely enjoy it. Peace.

Please use this thread as the match thread.
Last edited by bobby brows on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***Liverpool Ladies v Manchester City Women PREVIEW***

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:38 pm

bobby brows wrote:Possibly the most challenging preview I’ll write this season when there are others blatantly more qualified but I’ll admit I’m very excited about the Women’s team and I’ll give it my best go. I apologise for City’s form when I’ve written a preview this season, appalling! Please send all anger to @robmckay86

[center]Liverpool Ladies v Manchester City Women
Thursday 17th April 2014, 7.45pm KO
Women’s Super League
Select Security Stadium, Widnes, WA8 7DZ.
Live on BTSPORT1
£5 for adults and £2.50 for Concessions

MANCHESTER CITY: Ruining Women’s Football Since 2013…

1921 The FA bans women from playing on football league grounds, “…the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged."[/center]

England has a strange relationship with football when it comes to the women’s game. If you even manage to get a conversation off the ground beyond the response of “its crap…” you have achieved something. Although most sports in the UK involving women are dismissed unless at the very highest level, Women’s football at the highest level has remained hugely indifferent in the psyche of English public in the modern era. Although in a bygone era there are reports of attendances at women’s games superseding attendances of their male counterparts, largely in part due to the FA the domestic landscape for the women’s game has largely been a wilderness, with minimal attendances, non-existent media coverage and our best players leaving to play abroad whilst our national team failed to qualify for international tournaments.

However, for once, credit must go to the FA who set up the Women’s football committee in 1993 and outlined its plans to develop the women’s game from grassroots to elite level before they appointed Hope Powell as the first full time coach for the England women’s team. Highlights included hosting the Euro’s in 2005, qualifying for the World cup in 2006 and culminated in Great Britain defeating Brazil in front of 70,000 people at Wembley in the best game of football at the whole Olympics. Domestically the FA formed the Women’s Super League (WSL) in 2010 and began play in 2012 with Arsenal, the women’s team of the last decade being crowned first ever Champions.

I have to say three of the women’s matches I’ve been to have ranked amongst the most entertaining games I’ve ever watched. My first exposure to women’s football was at the Women’s European Championships at the Etihad in 2050 when England took on Finland in the opening game in front of a then European Record attendance of about 29,000 with England blowing a 2-0 lead before winning it in stoppage time thanks to a goal from a then 17 year old Karen Carney (I wished we’d have signed her).

The first domestic game I went to was the Women’s Community Shield in 2008 at the Moss Rose when Arsenal beat Everton in a thrilling game where Jill Scott was man of the match, Kelly Smith scored the winner and both goalkeepers pulled off a string of brilliant saves (frustratingly despite the game being live on Setanta I can’t find any information about it). The smaller pitch complemented the greater emphasis on the technical skills that the women’s game possesses.

As for WSL, I saw Arsenal Ladies second time in August when they took on Liverpool Ladies at Widnes. Despite Kelly Smith not playing Arsenal played in such a manner that might have given Wilshire and Ozil a bit of trouble and thrashed them 3-0 in decent game that will be remembered for Arsenal fielding an ineligible player that ultimately handed Liverpool the tile.

[center]Liverpool Ladies

Image[/center]

For the women the fear of having to live with Liverpool as the Champions of England already exists as they are the reigning WS L Champions will be a formidable outfit this season having gone full time over the winter (UEFA FFP anyone). Despite having only seen them a couple of times my spies (not the sis) have sent me a scouting report of those to look out for.

[center]
Fara Williams – “the Steven Gerrard of the midfield”

Natasha Dowie – “winner of golden boot last season and recalled to the England team”

Lucy Bronze – “Like a Duracell bunny, runs all day long at right back”

“Although currently injured look out for Nicole Rolser after ACL reconstruction!”

In addition Katie Zelem is an “up and coming youngster in the mould of Fara Williams!”

Manchester City
Image[/center]

It was an exciting time, reminiscent of the days of Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor arriving at the Etihad, when City announced the signing of five internationals over the Christmas period. In WSL there is a salary cap limiting the spending of the club, as rumours of Hope Solo spread, but it was good to see that City have handed opportunities to a lot of the existing squad. I think they would have done that anyway regardless of financial restrictions but any media coverage that the women get this season will start and end with the high profile signings.

In case you missed it those who arrived were:

Karen Barclay – 29 – The 5’11’ American born England goalkeeper arrived from Lincoln Ladies but has travelled the world to play her football having taken in Holland, USA and Sweden on her travels.

Steph Houghton – 25 - A goalscoring left back who arrived from Arsenal has been capped by England and represented Team GB at the Olympics scoring in all three group games

Jill Scott – 27 – Like Steph Houghton Jill Scott is originally from Sunderland’s women’s team having spent the last seven years at Everton. A central midfield who can cover lots of ground.

Toni Duggan – 22 – 11 goals in 16 appearances for England and has scored two for City on her debut in the FA Cup last Sunday, a goalscorer who has also left Everton and according to her Wikipedia page used to be a Morris dancer as a child.

Betsy Hassett – 23 –Another Olympian representing New Zealand at the 2012 Olympics who has arrived from Germany having also played in America.

Predicition

PAIN! – no wait that was Clubber Lang. In all honesty I don’t know but I promise if that you watch it you will more than likely enjoy it. Peace.

Please use this thread as the match thread.

Great write up BB, quality mate, thanks for this
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Cheers hopefully get a bit more interesting when they've played a few games

But did you have to quote it?
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

bobby brows wrote:Cheers hopefully get a bit more interesting when they've played a few games

Excellent stuff. I think the keeper is Karen Bardsley not Barclay but with my memory who knows.But tonight it's Andrea Worrall between the sticks so an extra good luck to her.Just about to set off for the game so here's hoping for better than last night
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
bobby brows wrote:Cheers hopefully get a bit more interesting when they've played a few games

Excellent stuff. I think the keeper is Karen Bardsley not Barclay but with my memory who knows.But tonight it's Andrea Worrall between the sticks so an extra good luck to her.Just about to set off for the game so here's hoping for better than last night

Thanks, corrected, Freudian slip from me.
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby feedthegreek » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

it looks like city ladies are gonna get as much stick as our first team, coming up on talksport at 7oclock how doncaster belles were broken up so city ladies could be invited into the league, their words, good luck to city ladies.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Steve Houghton?

*snigger*
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ashton287 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Some decent football going forward from Liverpool and some good saves from Andy.

Nearly balled it all up with that clearance though. Trying to be a smart are, Hart style.
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 pm

A good performance from City overall in the first half. A bit of a slow start nearly cost us but a couple of good saves kept us in it. The back four look well organised and we have some quality in midfield. The only real criticism is that Duggan looks a bit isolated at times and we have given the ball away a little too cheaply. These things will improve with more games together
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Great clearance by the Captain. Andie's clean sheet remains intact so far!

Dont think the surface is helping either side tbh.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ashton287 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Finish that.

Poor defending though, never got goal side and made no effort to get back and make up for it.

City look like they have got a goal in them though.
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm

It's not the first time over the last few days I have felt a tad robbed in merseyside. I don't think either team deserved the win but we played well enough. Great effort from Duggan late on cutting in from the left but as the keeper parried two of our players stood watching in admiration instead of getting a deserved equaliser. I won't grumble anymore but we always seem to lose one way or another on my birthday. Ffs
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Watching the game on tape delay. How much 'desperate defending' without a player ever needing to go to ground?
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Has a commentator ever disputed a yellow card like the one for liverpool's disallowed goal?
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 pm

bobby brows wrote:Has a commentator ever disputed a yellow card like the one for liverpool's disallowed goal?

It was a clear handball so I wasn't sure what she was moaning about. It goes over her head if she dosesnt do that.

Anyway we're gutted but have to dust ourselves down quickly as we go again on Sunday. Thought we did ok against an experienced championship wining team. We will improve.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Wasn't easy to tell from the stand about the handball but I would have sent her off for deliberate handball.I thought the team gave it a real good go against one of the strongest teams in the league I guess.Some really good saves tonight again Andie well done even though you will be gutted to have lost.

I felt it took a while for us to get into the game as LPool pressed really well and never gave anyone a second on the ball and I do think that surface is pretty crappy for what should be simple passing.Jill and Jess struggled a lot early doors but both were much more influential as the game went on. I want to see that offside goal too as it must have been close and it was a top finish from Krystal.Great effort near the end too from Toni.I was right behind the shot and it did need a top save.Just a shame it wasn't a tap in fro someone.

Match on Sunday so I assume no training tomorrow night Andie. PS How's the back as it looked like you tweaked it in the warm up?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:44 am

Got a bit of a pull in my hip that keeps flailing up and is painful hence me disappearing for a few mins. Thought we did ok, took us awhile to settle but thought we did ok after the first 20. Just watched a bit back, how biased are BT. Willing Liverpool onto victory. In at 9am for breakfast, cool down and a briefing about Sunday.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby zabbadabbado » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 am

I watched the first 45 minutes,and couldn't take anymore.Jesus Christ women's football is terrible.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Socrates » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 am

Great to see that there is so much enthusiasm for the women's team now, not just here but also getting near equal billing on the official website. Has to be said these days that when City get behind a project they do it properly, am proud to be a blue!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby mr fu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 am

zabbadabbado wrote:I watched the first 45 minutes,and couldn't take anymore.Jesus Christ women's football is terrible.

Hey lets go back and analyse 150 years of mens football to see if we can find a poor game or a least one with a poor pass or even a mistake! Or you could stick to watching our world beating mens team who put in less effort on Wednesday night than a pissed up bottom of the table Sunday League team. Better still, try and sit through 90 minutes of a Mourinho managed team without nodding off...

Give them a break it's their first game!!!
Last edited by mr fu on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr fu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.
My favourite player is: MIA

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum