Another kneejerk thread - this time kids

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Another kneejerk thread - this time kids

Postby Tony P » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Could our kids come in and make a difference? Lot of talk on here tonight about fucking off the current group.
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: Another kneejerk thread - this time kids

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Tony P wrote:Could our kids come in and make a difference? Lot of talk on here tonight about fucking off the current group.

No, there aren't any good enough to play in the premier league at the moment, and there are enough players in the first team squad who contractually would have to play before them
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 pm

contractually having to play is bollocks for a start

most of these idiots act like they want a rest.

I'm sick of yaya and dzeko wincing everytime they sky a shot
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Jon London » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm

I would have preferred to see Lopes given a chance than Rodwell for the last 10 minutes. Yes time to play some of the kids and get rid of those overpaid lazy useless players.
Jon London
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm

No, not at this stage of the season
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Not just yet, but another performance like tonight & we may as well play a few just to make the remaining games useful, as the title will be definitely gone as opposed to most likely gone.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:07 am

Nick wrote:contractually having to play is bollocks for a start

Sorry mate, it's not bollocks. I'm not talking about the bullshit about Toure having to play every game, I'm talking about giving the players around the first team squad a number of games per season. That's why the kids very rarely get a chance at any premier league club these days unless they are exceptional. None of ours are exceptional

There is a standard clause in the contract of Premier League players, that if they don't play a certain amount of the games they are available for, can't remember the exact terms, but they can either tear up the contract, or leave on a reduced fee/buy themselves out. It's all stacked in a player's favour to prevent clubs like us stockpiling players and letting them rot in the reserves.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 am

How do we know the kids aren't ready if they don't get a chance to show it?

How come Liverpool can do it but we can't? Do we have no one better than the likes of Flanagan? If not then what the fuck has been going on for the last six years?

We need to start blooding them, get a bit of youthful exuberance in there to put a rocket up the arses of those that are resting on their laurels.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Sparklehorse » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:33 pm

The FA should introduce a rule making every league team play 3 academy players for 10 games every season.
We do seem to have some very lazy players in our first team squad, this could potentially be the proverbial kick up the arse they need. How do we know they are not good enough if they're not played, Lopes played a great game against West Ham and Emyr Huws looks a very good prospect, the Brum staff and fans rate him very highly and the boy can score, one of his goals is the equal if not better than any of Ya Ya's goals this season. Get them in i say.
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Dameerto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Nick wrote:contractually having to play is bollocks for a start

Sorry mate, it's not bollocks. I'm not talking about the bullshit about Toure having to play every game, I'm talking about giving the players around the first team squad a number of games per season. That's why the kids very rarely get a chance at any premier league club these days unless they are exceptional. None of ours are exceptional

There is a standard clause in the contract of Premier League players, that if they don't play a certain amount of the games they are available for, can't remember the exact terms, but they can either tear up the contract, or leave on a reduced fee/buy themselves out. It's all stacked in a player's favour to prevent clubs like us stockpiling players and letting them rot in the reserves.

That clause is about involvements, which is why we see so many final substitutions in the 89th minute. I call them admin substitutions.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Dameerto wrote: That clause is about involvements, which is why we see so many final substitutions in the 89th minute. I call them admin substitutions.

Exactly my point, remember how many times we have been 4 goals to the good after 70 mins.

I hardly recall a single game where a kid has been on the bench, let alone used as a substitute.

I bet the manager would love to give kids a go, but I expect his hands are tied
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:29 pm

It's been a gripe of mine for a few seasons now.
Why not give a youngster a go especially when we've had so many injuries this season.
When Dzeko and Negredo couldn't score and Aguero and Jovetic were injured why not give someone like Cole or Hiwula a go? Sure they might be overawed but at least give them the chance.

Why has Lopes not been given a proper go of it? He looks very talented but is instead playing at a level far below him. Especially with Silva out, maybe he could have been able to give us a bit more creativity.

Look at Flanagan and Sterling for example, why can't we produce players?

We seem so scared of giving youth a chance.
Let them play and not just when we are 5-0 up against Barnsley.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote: Look at Flanagan and Sterling for example, why can't we produce players?

Liverpool didn't "produce" Sterling, they bought him..
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:37 am

Mase wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote: Look at Flanagan and Sterling for example, why can't we produce players?

bought by the fat spanish waiter as well, so it's not like we can even accuse Rodgers of being a genius who plucked him from obscurity.

as wikipedia notes he's a real classy kid....fathered a child at 17, with two domestic assault charges already under his belt at 19.

Yes, i might be bitter. Little cunthole with his fucking goals and chavvy bollocks.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 am

Mase wrote:

Produced or not, they 'bought' him when he was about 14 so still very young. Probably about the same age we 'produced' or 'bought' the likes of Pozo, Lopes etc from various other clubs. The Sterling thing was totally the norm and we were in for him too. It's irrelevant whether they bought him or not...the thing that stands out is that they're integrating young players into their team whereas we're currently not. Sterling was average last season, and Flanagan looked poor when he was first introduced, but at some point you have to just take a leap of faith, give them game time, let them make mistakes and then hope something clicks.

By all accounts Sterling was a star at all age groups, but i find it hard to believe that Flanagan was wow'ing people in the reserves anymore than the likes of Leigh, Facey etc... they just took a chance and it paid off. It's catch 22 but Liverpool are, like it or not, doing it better than us.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 am

twosips wrote:
Produced or not, they 'bought' him when he was about 14 so still very young. Probably about the same age we 'produced' or 'bought' the likes of Pozo, Lopes etc from various other clubs. The Sterling thing was totally the norm and we were in for him too. It's irrelevant whether they bought him or not...the thing that stands out is that they're integrating young players into their team whereas we're currently not. Sterling was average last season, and Flanagan looked poor when he was first introduced, but at some point you have to just take a leap of faith, give them game time, let them make mistakes and then hope something clicks.

By all accounts Sterling was a star at all age groups, but i find it hard to believe that Flanagan was wow'ing people in the reserves anymore than the likes of Leigh, Facey etc... they just took a chance and it paid off. It's catch 22 but Liverpool are, like it or not, doing it better than us.

Very true. As champions though,(should they go on and win it), there will be added pressure next year so we will see if they buy big in summer or promote more youngsters.

To be fair to City, playing youngsters for an extended run to give them confidence and experience is risky when you are at the top as you cant carry passengers. I personally think these last 5 games are ripe to try one or two. Lopez certainly and possibly one of the fullbacks. Imo the league, though mathmatically possible, has in all likelihood slipped away. I'm not suggesting flooding a team as that doesnt work as the young lads need experience around them to nuture.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunnylad » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:18 am

Look at the scousers last season, similar team with the youth blooded and finished 7/8 - we could not afford a season like that, I think we're waiting until the youth team produces the Messi's, Xavi and Iniesta's who will walk straight into the XI and at the moment we aren't quite seeing that level of consistent quality in our youth - it will come if we give it time, but blooding them now won't make it work quicker
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

twosips wrote: Produced or not, they 'bought' him when he was about 14 so still very young. Probably about the same age we 'produced' or 'bought' the likes of Pozo, Lopes etc from various other clubs. The Sterling thing was totally the norm and we were in for him too. It's irrelevant whether they bought him or not...the thing that stands out is that they're integrating young players into their team whereas we're currently not. Sterling was average last season, and Flanagan looked poor when he was first introduced, but at some point you have to just take a leap of faith, give them game time, let them make mistakes and then hope something clicks. By all accounts Sterling was a star at all age groups, but i find it hard to believe that Flanagan was wow'ing people in the reserves anymore than the likes of Leigh, Facey etc... they just took a chance and it paid off. It's catch 22 but Liverpool are, like it or not, doing it better than us.

Why the fuck have you wasted probably 10 minutes of your life writing that out you little mincer!

They didn't produce him. The end.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

Mase wrote:
twosips wrote: Produced or not, they 'bought' him when he was about 14 so still very young. Probably about the same age we 'produced' or 'bought' the likes of Pozo, Lopes etc from various other clubs. The Sterling thing was totally the norm and we were in for him too. It's irrelevant whether they bought him or not...the thing that stands out is that they're integrating young players into their team whereas we're currently not. Sterling was average last season, and Flanagan looked poor when he was first introduced, but at some point you have to just take a leap of faith, give them game time, let them make mistakes and then hope something clicks. By all accounts Sterling was a star at all age groups, but i find it hard to believe that Flanagan was wow'ing people in the reserves anymore than the likes of Leigh, Facey etc... they just took a chance and it paid off. It's catch 22 but Liverpool are, like it or not, doing it better than us.

Why the fuck have you wasted probably 10 minutes of your life writing that out you little mincer!

They did really. Don't get all technical about it.
Otherwise no Premier League club ever 'produces' any player.
As he said if we see Lopes as one of our own, then Sterling is certainly one of theirs.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby twosips » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 am

Mase wrote:

Then we didn't produce SWP or Richards then, you 'little mincer'... as long as you're willing to admit that then i'm happy to agree?

ps - i type very quickly, that took me about two minutes...must be a mincing skill.

EDIT - basically i think you're missing my point. I don't care whether they bought him, produced him or whatever. My point was that we should be able to take talented teenagers, wherever they come from, and teach them how we play and integrate them. Sterling is a good example of that whether you like it or not.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum