Liverpool vs Chelsea Hypotheticals

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Liverpool vs Chelsea Hypotheticals

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Now I'm aware there are a lot of IFs involved here, so don't bother telling me I'm tempting fate or getting ahead of myself. Just something I'm trying to work out.

Anyway, IF we beat Sunderland and IF all three contenders win this coming weekend, what would be the better result for us in the Liv/Chav fixture - a Chelsea win or a draw?

The table WOULD look like this beforehand:

1. Liv p.35 pts.80 (GD +53ish)
2. Che p.35 pts.78 (GD +44ish)
3. US p.34 pts.76 (GD +58ish)

Would we want Chelsea to win (thereby depleting Liverpool's GD as well as leaving them poorer in terms of points AND ending their hot streak) or would a draw (which would go a long way towards removing Chelsea from the equation) be a better bet for us?

IF Chelsea were to win and we should see off Palace, the table would then look something like this:

1. Che p.36 pts.81 (GD +45ish)
2. Liv p.36 pts.80 (GD +52ish)
3. US p.35 pts.79 (GD +60ish)

IF they were to draw and we were to bag a win at Palace, it would look like this:

1. Liv p.36 pts.81 (GD +53ish)
2. US p.35 pts.79 (GD +60ish)
3. Che p.36 pts.79 (GD +44ish)

Doesn't this mean that the latter would be preferable, given that it would leave us room to draw one more game (e.g. Everton away) and still have it in our hands? EDIT: This bit is wrong. Ignore it.

I APOLOGISE FOR THIS THREAD. MY HEAD IS SPINNING!
Last edited by Alioune DVToure on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Re: Liverpool vs Chelsea Hypotheticals

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 pm

My head is spinning too with all the variables... and I'm pretty sure threads like this won't help with that condition!

Anyway, if everyone wins their remaining games before their clash, then the best result for us at Anfield is a draw, beccause it allows for us to drop two points.

However, I think if we smell blood after a draw or a Pool defeat, we will win every game regardless.

I'm confident. No bull. Just confident.
Original Dub

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:My head is spinning too with all the variables... and I'm pretty sure threads like this won't help with that condition!

Anyway, if everyone wins their remaining games before their clash, then the best result for us at Anfield is a draw, beccause it allows for us to drop two points.

However, I think if we smell blood after a draw or a Pool defeat, we will win every game regardless.

I made a pig's ear of it anyway. In the case of a draw, we'd need to win that Everton game as we'd only close Liverpool's two-point gap by one point otherwise. Then again, that would also be the case if Chelsea won, as we'd be two points behind them.

AAARGH. The only way we're guaranteed the title is with six wins and Liverpool failing to beat Chelsea.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Original Dub wrote:My head is spinning too with all the variables... and I'm pretty sure threads like this won't help with that condition!

I made a pig's ear of it anyway. In the case of a draw, we'd need to win that Everton game as we'd only close Liverpool's two-point gap by one point otherwise. Then again, that would also be the case if Chelsea won, as we'd be two points behind them.

AAARGH. The only way we're guaranteed the title is with six wins and Liverpool failing to beat Chelsea.

It is the most straight forward scenario and the least likely to make your head pop off.

That cliche really begins to become reality now - let's beat Sunderland.
Original Dub

Postby PeterParker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

This really depends on what Chelsea will do in the semifinal of the Champions Cup.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby jimtolmie_tache » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 pm

PeterParker wrote:This really depends on what Chelsea will do in the semifinal of the Champions Cup.

This is what I've been wondering.

What is the best result in Madrid that would give Chelsea incentive and confidence to win or draw at Anfield?

If they get hammered 3 or 4-nil (unlikely with a Simeone side, but you never know), then they will be low on confidence, but will only have the League to realistically go for.

An easy win in Madrid would probably be best, as the confidence will be high, but then will they be over-confident, and think the only game that matters is the European final?

Worst result all round would be a draw or a narrow Atletico win, as everything will be about the second leg, and Mourinho will probably rest someone.

Wonder if Hazard will be back for any of these games? Best scenario with him would be not playing him in Madrid, and then he is put in at Anfield, I think he could really turn that game.
jimtolmie_tache
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:55 pm

I was thinking about this yesterday and with Clattenburg's performance it got me wondering. If we'd have got anything out of yesterday we would be well and firmly in the driving seat. With the score that came it actually opens the run-in for all 3 of us to push the title race right to the end, just what the Prmeir League want. All those people tuning in to see how it goes, possibly down tot he wire, makes the league very attractive to the the likes of Sky and BT Sport, giving their viewers top class entertainment right to the end.

Could it be that we win every game, there's certainly a chance. And with Chelsea having to play the Dippers, as well as a couple of other tricky games for both side, then it's not inconceivable that we could be going into the last game with all 3 teams playing for the title.

Don't be surprised if you see the ref's having an impact in the build-up to the finale. The league want this to go to the end, nobody cares for the dead-rubbers and the sheer entertainment that we brought in the title winning season made the powers sit-up and take notice. If they can bring a similar product/outcome, they won't mind how it comes about.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 pm

I will laugh my bollocks off if Liverpool choke the title at Norwich and Palace.

If it is not us then i want it to be the Chavs.I fully understand the RAGS hatred off the dirty scouse cunts now.Give me a RAG any day over those delusional,coach smashing,women abusing scouse twats.Fucking appalling on and off the pitch yesterday.If i had been a City player i wouldn't have just took my black armband off at half time i would have burned it.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby PeterParker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 pm

jimtolmie_tache wrote:
PeterParker wrote:This really depends on what Chelsea will do in the semifinal of the Champions Cup.

This is what I've been wondering.

What is the best result in Madrid that would give Chelsea incentive and confidence to win or draw at Anfield?

If they get hammered 3 or 4-nil (unlikely with a Simeone side, but you never know), then they will be low on confidence, but will only have the League to realistically go for.

An easy win in Madrid would probably be best, as the confidence will be high, but then will they be over-confident, and think the only game that matters is the European final?

Worst result all round would be a draw or a narrow Atletico win, as everything will be about the second leg, and Mourinho will probably rest someone.

Wonder if Hazard will be back for any of these games? Best scenario with him would be not playing him in Madrid, and then he is put in at Anfield, I think he could really turn that game.

If Maureen wins on Anfield and we slip at Everton, Chelsea wins the league.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Original Dub wrote:Anyway, if everyone wins their remaining games before their clash, then the best result for us at Anfield is a draw, beccause it allows for us to drop two points.

So if Chelsea-Liverpool draw, we can win all our games but draw at Everton and win the league? Would it be on GD?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:So if Chelsea-Liverpool draw, we can win all our games but draw at Everton and win the league? Would it be on GD?

Unless I've got it wrong, then yes... goal difference.

We will be at least ten goals ahead on gd if results in the two games in hand go according to the script, so I have no problem ending on the same points.

They will need the extra point they currently have imo.
Original Dub

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:So if Chelsea-Liverpool draw, we can win all our games but draw at Everton and win the league? Would it be on GD?

Unless I've got it wrong, then yes... goal difference.

We will be at least ten goals ahead on gd if results in the two games in hand go according to the script, so I have no problem ending on the same points.

They will need the extra point they currently have imo.

Wrong Ronan if the scouse v chavs is a draw and we win all but Everton and only draw the scouse beat us by 1 point.If we drop 2 points with a draw we can only get 86pts the scouse with a draw v chavs would have 87pts.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Return to The Maine Football forum