Evaluate a third place finish.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Evaluate a third place finish.

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:39 pm

For goodness sake gentlemen, this is sport. I'll evaluate third, it will mean that we have the third highest points tally after 38 games. There is no we should have done better, blah blah blah., that will be where we're at. Frankly i would be bored shitless if we won every game, every cup, every champions league and every premiership, it would be nice to win them all one season, but every season ? what would be the point of going out to watch the game if we knew we were going to win.
Its pellers first season in english football, and have any of you given up on winning it ? because i sure as hell aint.
I don't blame the ref in any way, there were a couple of decisions that could have gone either way. I think the reason Suarez was not sent off was that the early booking was harsh.
Liverpool played fantastically well for half an hour yesterday, and we couldn't live with them..they scored two goals and it could easily have been more. However, when we started to actually play Liverpool bricked it for two thirds of the game, and we should have buried them, but alas we missed chances and gifted them a winner. The reason Gerard was crying at the end was relief because he thought they'd lost it.
They will brick it again, probably against Chelsea and I can honestly see them ending up third.
We must of course win all our games and I think Everton present the only major hurdle, hopefully Aguero will be firing on all cylinders by then with some match time, and for goodness sake give Jovetic some action !!!
Keep the faith gentlemen, it ain't over yet, not by a long chalk !!
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:It has not been a bad season. Pellegrini deserves another season. We have played some really good football. Take away all the individual fuck ups from Hart at Chelsea away, Bayern at Home. Liverpool away etc (not just this season last to), and we would probably be in the Semis off the Champions League and sitting pretty at the top off the Premier League. I am not slagging Vinny he deserves a bit off slack because he makes up for it over a season. Hart usually has fuck all to do most games but still manages to pick a ball out off the net more often than he makes a decent save for us. I will take the abuse from the Hart lovers. For me he is simply not good enough for our high pressing game. His distribution, and positioning are generally shit. He has consistently cost us in the biggest games, These games define your season He cost us finishing as Group winners .Mancini was getting rid for Begovic until the dressing room mafia got him the bullet. I like the Ethos that Pellegrini is trying to instil in our side and the football is good to watch. We are going in the right direction. We need a clear out off the overrated has been.A new World class goal keeper with good distribution to compliment our high tempo game. A partner for Vinny,Demichelis has impressed me off late and deserves another season he is good cover. We also need an alternative to Ya Ya in the middle, a class player but looking increasingly labored, I think we ask too much of him, he is knocking on 30 and should be used sparingly like in our bigger games. When Pellegrini sorts out our Achilles heel we still stop losing games to stupid mistakes in season defining games and move on to the next level. You cant blame the manager for the Clown in net consistent mistakes in his 1 st season in charge. If Hart is still Number 1 next season then I will hold Pellegrini accountable for picking him. For me we stick. Sort the Keeper and defense out and we will be a major force next season.

I agree that Hart is not good enough, makes some amazing saves, but his distribution is appalling
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Re: Financial Fair Play

Postby jimtolmie_tache » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm

3rd Place might be worth nothing if we get a sanction this week -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... learn-fate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -SALE.html

Knowing how corrupt things are at UEFA, with David Gill playing a leading role, and also the PL going on about MUFC's lack of success being 'bad for the brand', I honestly wouldn't be surprised by a European ban, especially if MUFC finish 5th. Barcelona's transfer ban came right out of the blue as far as I can tell, I didn't see any speculation on it, and I am quite worried by this. Even if it's something we can appeal against, while it's going through, we could expect transfer requests from Sergio, Silva and others.

Can someone start a thread on this as I don't seem to be allowed to start one? Thanks.
jimtolmie_tache
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 pm

jimtolmie_tache wrote:3rd Place might be worth nothing if we get a sanction this week -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... learn-fate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -SALE.html

Knowing how corrupt things are at UEFA, with David Gill playing a leading role, and also the PL going on about MUFC's lack of success being 'bad for the brand', I honestly wouldn't be surprised by a European ban, especially if MUFC finish 5th. Barcelona's transfer ban came right out of the blue as far as I can tell, I didn't see any speculation on it, and I am quite worried by this. Even if it's something we can appeal against, while it's going through, we could expect transfer requests from Sergio, Silva and others.

Can someone start a thread on this as I don't seem to be allowed to start one? Thanks.

Bring it on.

This was always in the cards and the club will humilate them if it goes to court.
Original Dub

Postby AG7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 pm

To me question is not if we finish 2nd or 3rd ... question is of Chelsea goes and wins the Champions League, Liverpool wins the Premier League and Arsenal wins the FA Cup ... and we are left with CapitalOne Cup ... well, fuck who'll mention 2nd place or the 3rd place ... already I have heard lines on Sky and talkSports and MoTD to the likes of

"£100m for the league cup is not a good return on investment"

"players of that calibre and all they have to show over two seasons is one CapitalOne cup"

"throw some more money this time and try again see if that works"

I hope Chelsea wins from Liverpool but loses to Atletico, I hope Hull wins the FA Cup ... and plays us in the Charity Shield next season.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby Wooders » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:48 am

Is it of any real benefit other than kudos? Isnt top 3 automatic qualification for CC? I cant believe the reward for finishing second is an easier group as we had Bayern Munich in ours ??
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:59 am

Wooders wrote:Is it of any real benefit other than kudos? Isnt top 3 automatic qualification for CC? I cant believe the reward for finishing second is an easier group as we had Bayern Munich in ours ??

It matters nothing whatsoever. Just something for whinging fuckers to use as ammo to put a worse slant on things.

Realistically, City, Liverpool & Chelsea have all been close together for a large section of the season. I don't see the three teams as being close in development though. That's because Liverpool have had nothing else to play for, & imo, had they been involved in other competitions, it would now just be a battle between City & Chelsea for the league, both of whom are teams in transition rather than the finished article, which should worry the others.

Both City & Chelsea will improve significantly over the next couple of seasons imo. City would do so even without making a signing, just getting used to the new system. Chelsea will sign a striker. Liverpool will have to hope people keep allowing their basic tactic to work rather then setting their stall out to stop it & that Suarez stays fit & in top form for a whole season.

We should prioritise the league & the Champions League. If we miss the title, it will be because of putting too much effort into the domestic cups imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby nottsblue » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Also difference between 2nd and 3rd is probably coupke if million in prize money. Not to be sniffed ar
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Blue2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:58 pm

3rd place - not acceptable if it happens. If we dont win it it will be two years of missed opportunities. Other teams will be better next season, Liverpool certainly will if they win it. Too many poor results against the shite of the premier league this season and the worst premier league champions in history won at a canter last season.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby ashton287 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Bit ridiculous that we will be finishing third when 2 games ago we had the league in our hands and just had to win a few more games. Bottle jobs.
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Lee_R » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 pm

To be fair.. Pellers hand to come in and make the team his. It took a while to get going. With another say 3 wins could we have done it? Obviously worrying how were ending the season too, but must consider injuries?

I think we'll have to take this one on the chin.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Superbia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 pm

3rd your having a laugh , we couldnt even beat sunderland at home you can just write off all the away games from now on
Superbia
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby PrezIke » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

I wrote after the liverpool loss that maybe the players needed a real kick in the arse and no scapegoat like mancini to escape from responsibility.

I thought that match was it and was hopeful, and we could yet still win as things seem to change/surprise every week, as there are few poor teams in the premiership and bottom dwelling teams fighting foe their lives. Yet, maybe it was not enough.

Some changes will be made if we don't get a transfer ban penalty for ffp (i doubt it).

Have to wonder about the futures of all of our England first teamers.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Clowncrete » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 pm

It would be disappointing mainly because near January, this season was promising so much.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby sheblue » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Let's hope we make 4th.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:I fancy us to win four and draw one of our last five games. That would give us 85 points for the season. More often than not, that would win you the league (I think), so it's a perfectly acceptable haul. We've bagged another pot, done a bit better in the Champions League and have a more balanced squad than 12 months ago. 3rd would be a bit disappointing, but nothing more.

Last five years 85 points would've won you the league once.

Anyway, I think this talk about sacking Pellegrini is nothing short or ridiculous. We've already won a pot.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

shite.

united are fucking 5th and ran away with the league last year.

chelsea are shit and liverpool are winning by pure determination and speed (and the fact they didnt have other cups to distract them)

the chumps league fucks us up every year. WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO WINNING IT - WHAT IS THE POINT?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Benjay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Last five years 85 points would've won you the league once.

Anyway, I think this talk about sacking Pellegrini is nothing short or ridiculous. We've already won a pot.

This board don't do knee jerk reactions. I cannot envisage for one minute Pellers getting the sack unless we finish the season like the time Sven was in charge. But the pressure will be on next season. A repeat of this season may not be so digestible. I would like to blood one or two kids between now and May.
Benjay
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am

Clowncrete wrote:It would be disappointing mainly because near January, this season was promising so much.

Personally, I think we fucked up big time in January by not signing reinforcements.

Sure, we lost those two or three shitty games at the beginning when Pelle and the team were getting used to a new style, but we gambled on over using certain players and that is what ultimately lost us the league imo.
Original Dub

Postby nottsblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 pm

The way Everton and Arsenal are shaping and our run of one win in four third is not yet safe. Fourth would be a fuckup due to champs league qualifying. Lets make certain of third first. The game at Everton might yet prove to be vital, just not in the way we envisaged
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum