Evaluate a third place finish.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Evaluate a third place finish.

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:I fancy us to win four and draw one of our last five games. That would give us 85 points for the season. More often than not, that would win you the league (I think), so it's a perfectly acceptable haul. We've bagged another pot, done a bit better in the Champions League and have a more balanced squad than 12 months ago. 3rd would be a bit disappointing, but nothing more.

Last five years 85 points would've won you the league once.

Anyway, I think this talk about sacking Pellegrini is nothing short or ridiculous. We've already won a pot.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

shite.

united are fucking 5th and ran away with the league last year.

chelsea are shit and liverpool are winning by pure determination and speed (and the fact they didnt have other cups to distract them)

the chumps league fucks us up every year. WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO WINNING IT - WHAT IS THE POINT?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Benjay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Last five years 85 points would've won you the league once.

Anyway, I think this talk about sacking Pellegrini is nothing short or ridiculous. We've already won a pot.

This board don't do knee jerk reactions. I cannot envisage for one minute Pellers getting the sack unless we finish the season like the time Sven was in charge. But the pressure will be on next season. A repeat of this season may not be so digestible. I would like to blood one or two kids between now and May.
Benjay
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am

Clowncrete wrote:It would be disappointing mainly because near January, this season was promising so much.

Personally, I think we fucked up big time in January by not signing reinforcements.

Sure, we lost those two or three shitty games at the beginning when Pelle and the team were getting used to a new style, but we gambled on over using certain players and that is what ultimately lost us the league imo.
Original Dub

Postby nottsblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 pm

The way Everton and Arsenal are shaping and our run of one win in four third is not yet safe. Fourth would be a fuckup due to champs league qualifying. Lets make certain of third first. The game at Everton might yet prove to be vital, just not in the way we envisaged
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Feck me, are we at an all time low. People worried about not qualifying even though we're 5 ahead with a game in-hand.

I think we're still fighting for the title ;-)

Come on Pellers, come on Boys!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Socrates » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:21 am

Third would be very worrying as a finishing position as it follows on from 2nd last year and 1st the year before. If that mathematical trend continued then we are facing relegation in 2029!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Wooders » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 am

Socrates wrote:Third would be very worrying as a finishing position as it follows on from 2nd last year and 1st the year before. If that mathematical trend continued then we are facing relegation in 2029!

We're going through a bad patch and you return in all your " I told you so " pomp? Coincidence?
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Socrates » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

Wooders wrote:
Socrates wrote:Third would be very worrying as a finishing position as it follows on from 2nd last year and 1st the year before. If that mathematical trend continued then we are facing relegation in 2029!

We're going through a bad patch and you return in all your " I told you so " pomp? Coincidence?

Lol, read my other post in the "perspective" thread for my actual thoughts - here I was just taking the piss out of the maths teacher who started this thread...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby hartfordsheartbeat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 pm

3rd place simply not good enough. A backward step for the club. Let's be honest even some of the games we won quite handsomely weren't a fair reflection of the match. We should be at or beyond the stage of having to pay inflated wages to get players to sign for us. Being champions instead of 2nd or 3rd would have helped in that respect. Pellers will probably be giving another year, either way he's the sort of manager who will struggle to get us over the line in a league campaign. he just doesn't have that nasty streak that you need. I used to be escatic with 40 points, now the expectation is so much higher that 3rd place seems a failure. Things were so much simpler back then.
hartfordsheartbeat

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 pm

hartfordsheartbeat wrote:3rd place simply not good enough. A backward step for the club. Let's be honest even some of the games we won quite handsomely weren't a fair reflection of the match. We should be at or beyond the stage of having to pay inflated wages to get players to sign for us. Being champions instead of 2nd or 3rd would have helped in that respect. Pellers will probably be giving another year, either way he's the sort of manager who will struggle to get us over the line in a league campaign. he just doesn't have that nasty streak that you need. I used to be escatic with 40 points, now the expectation is so much higher that 3rd place seems a failure. Things were so much simpler back then.

I think barring our superstars we aren't paying wages that are out of line from what I've read.

I'd rather have the count than a nasty piece of work like mourinho any day of the week. Or a shit talking cunt like Rodgers.

3rd won't make me happy but barring winning it anything in the top 4 with a genuine title challenge is what I expect.

Cheers
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

It's more contextual than finishing third. What about finishing third but a point of the top versus second seven points from the top?

Overall the season hasn't been great. A league cup win is a positive but a bad FA Cup exit and another year showing we're way off the pace in Europe has been disappointing. League form has been hot an cold too much, and the inconsistency fits with the inconsistencies in ability level of the squad. As other people of mentioned, without the joy/burden of Europe City may well lead the league - but that's not really a valid reason to give for other teams to win it.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Moses » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 am

So you are now making Garry Cook Style projections.
Moses
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: City

Postby Socrates » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:57 am

Moses wrote:
So you are now making Garry Cook Style projections.

Yes, I am now typical cookie :p
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum