Clichy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Clichy

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm

For me, Clichy has to be moved on in the summer. Kolarov may be more of a wing back but frankly he brings a lot more to the team. The sheer scale in which Clichy breaks up attacks off-sets any defensive deficiency Kolarov has. Today and pretty much every-time he plays, Clichy would start romping down the left side and get somewhere deep in the opponent's half. Then Clichy turns around and gives a back/side pass to Nasri and then goes back while the opposition gets organized and gets the ball soon. Rinse and repeat. Kolarov would pass to Nasri, make an over-lapping run and create some room or an opportunity. Clichy's crosses are nothing special anyway. He can't take free-kicks or penalties either.

The argument that Clichy is defensively solid is not completely true, either. He was atrocious in last year's Final. He was terrible at the start of the season. Chelsea away, Cardiff, Bayern at home, etc. Today, if I remember correctly, he lost that aerial battle that led to the first goal.

We lost all our offensive presence at the left, because Clichy started. IMO, Nasri plays a lot better with Kolarov as well. If we are going to be as open as we were in the first half, we may as well use proper offensive players.

I hope we keep Kolarov for some more time, maybe give him an year's extension. Clichy needs to improve or go. And get an upgrade. Shaw, maybe?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Re: Clichy

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Clowncrete wrote:For me, Clichy has to be moved on in the summer. Kolarov may be more of a wing back but frankly he brings a lot more to the team. The sheer scale in which Clichy breaks up attacks off-sets any defensive deficiency Kolarov has. Today and pretty much every-time he plays, Clichy would start romping down the left side and get somewhere deep in the opponent's half. Then Clichy turns around and gives a back/side pass to Nasri and then goes back while the opposition gets organized and gets the ball soon. Rinse and repeat. Kolarov would pass to Nasri, make an over-lapping run and create some room or an opportunity. Clichy's crosses are nothing special anyway. He can't take free-kicks or penalties either.

The argument that Clichy is defensively solid is not completely true, either. He was atrocious in last year's Final. He was terrible at the start of the season. Chelsea away, Cardiff, Bayern at home, etc. Today, if I remember correctly, he lost that aerial battle that led to the first goal.

We lost all our offensive presence at the left, because Clichy started. IMO, Nasri plays a lot better with Kolarov as well. If we are going to be as open as we were in the first half, we may as well use proper offensive players.

I hope we keep Kolarov for some more time, maybe give him an year's extension. Clichy needs to improve or go. And get an upgrade. Shaw, maybe?

Fully agree.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby phips » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby nottsblue » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Clowncrete wrote:For me, Clichy has to be moved on in the summer. Kolarov may be more of a wing back but frankly he brings a lot more to the team. The sheer scale in which Clichy breaks up attacks off-sets any defensive deficiency Kolarov has. Today and pretty much every-time he plays, Clichy would start romping down the left side and get somewhere deep in the opponent's half. Then Clichy turns around and gives a back/side pass to Nasri and then goes back while the opposition gets organized and gets the ball soon. Rinse and repeat. Kolarov would pass to Nasri, make an over-lapping run and create some room or an opportunity. Clichy's crosses are nothing special anyway. He can't take free-kicks or penalties either.

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Fully agree.

+1
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Kolarov's the man!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby roblues » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:38 pm

roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 am

If we are strolling past the memory lane then:
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=39199&p=315984&hilit=Clichy#p315984

To be fair though, there have been times over the years he has played better than expected. I still stand by my opinion that fullback who can't defend is pretty fucking useless.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:59 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:If we are strolling past the memory lane then:

To be fair though, there have been times over the years he has played better than expected. I still stand by my opinion that fullback who can't defend is pretty fucking useless.

So, am I correctly thinking that you don't rate Clichy's defensive ability?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 am

Clowncrete wrote:
Well done digging up old threads. Want a cookie for your effort?

That guy phips is a grade A cunt. I really don't get why he chose us to pretend to follow.

OT Clichy has gone to shite. Kolarov is the better of the two and I think we would have had a lot more chances had he started yesterday.

It was always gonna be attack v attack and we should have started him for that reason.

We absolutely need a new left full in the summer, along with at least one centre half.
Original Dub

Postby Mike J » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 am

I like Clichy but he is just too soft for the big games. Id of started Kolarov without a doubt. We certainly need a new LB though.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am

Moreno from Seville is my man.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby clawbaggio » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 am

He needs to shave his head again. He was better when he was bald!
Totally shit now and has been for some time
clawbaggio
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: aguerro

Postby sheblue » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 am

the left side of the back 4 needs a good looking at.
shaw seems to be the blue eyed boy at the moment, so if he is that good, him and a left sided centre half, which we didn't get last summer.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:26 am

Clowncrete wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:If we are strolling past the memory lane then:

So, am I correctly thinking that you don't rate Clichy's defensive ability?

Yes.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 am

He is a french fanny who bottles it big time, in the 1st five mins he gave away possession needlessly twice, the fear in his eyes was terrible for a professional. he has put in some good performances for us over the years and has it in his locker but just like his time at Arsenal he has gone stale and bottles the big occasions. We need a team of winners and for me he no longer cuts it.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Moreno from Seville is my man.

Real are chasing him too apparently which if they were to get him would make Coentrao available.

I think we should cash in on Kolarov ( sorry Mase ) and keep Clichy as cover for the upgrade on both of them that we should bring in.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Return to The Maine Football forum