Ladies v Reading FA Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ladies v Reading FA Cup

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Thought I would start a thread with some good news.Rather than write a report I copied this from the OS.

Given what was happening on Merseyside at virtually the same time it perhaps wasn’t the best of moments for Manchester City Women to announce themselves on the national stage.But despite major distractions elsewhere - and the insistence of the organisers that they play at the same time - there was no denying the statement of intent adroitly posted by skipper Stephanie Houghton and her team in this 2-1 FA Women’s Cup victory.

Two goals from Toni Duggan were enough to settle the nerves and the result, catapult City into the last eight and provide copious evidence that first priority of this debut season – to be competitive at all levels – will be comfortably fulfilled.Reading will no doubt happily testify to the power, pace and precision in the embryonic Blues squad that has been prolific at one end of the pitch - and miserly at the other end - all pre-season.

The visitors were obdurate and well organised but there will be more difficult tests ahead than this for MCWFC, starting at champions Liverpool in Widnes this Thursday.However, none of the WSL teams will head into this most anticipated of seasons with more momentum and confidence than City.

Any manager will tell anyone willing to listen that the pair of commodities listed in the previous paragraph are two of the most vital of ingredients in success. They are currently fairly oozing from a City squad only brought together three short months ago.
Of course it helps when you arguably have England’s best striker in Duggan spearheading the attack and feeding off the elegant touches of Jill Scott and the energy and determination of Betsy Hassett, Krystle Johnston, and Isobel Christiansen.

It was Johnston that provided the eighth minute pass – it was really a shot gone slightly wrong – that was superbly anticipated by the predatory Duggan who steered home at the far post.However, a busy and combative Reading team had not come to help celebrate the birth of a new force in the women’s game.

They were the Southern Division Champions last season collecting the silverware and a place in the history books by an eight point margin over Millwall Lionesses and earning a place in Women’s Super League Two, a division below the Blues. In other words; they can play.Livewire Fran Kirby topped the Royals’ scoring charts last season with a hugely impressive 31 goals, twice as many as any of her teammates and she showed why she is so valuable to Reading five minutes after Duggan’s strike.She split the defence with pace and know-how and then slipped the ball to Lauren Bruton who did the rest for the equaliser.

City were always the more composed and better footballing side but they needed patience too with chances at a premium.
The Blues are liberally sprinkled with England stardust but this is no three of four woman team. Rather it is a side reliant on all its components, new and old players, experienced stars names and rookies, those imported and those who’ve been wearing the Sky Blue for some time.

No-one exemplifies the latter category better than the aforementioned Johnston and Andrea Worrall (Sunday name for a Sunday match!) the City loving goalkeeper who also bridges the old and new in the Club and is competing with Three Lionesses number one Karen Bardsley for the starting slot.

In Bardsley’s absence through injury, she was called into serious action twice in a physical first half; first plunging to her right to dig out Bruton’s low drive and later rising high to flick Kirby’s cross shot over the bar. She repeated that save in the second half from a free kick.Reading fought hard all afternoon, chasing and hassling and were only finally undone by a 79th minute mistake from keeper Davies who spilled a speculative long range effort from Christiansen and then watched in agony as Duggan smelled blood and despatched the loose ball.

And so history was made!

Well done girls and well done Andie.That early save when the score was nil nil was quality and priceless.I bet you saw it very late and got a strong had to knock it away.

Overall we huffed and puffed a bit without creating that many clear cut chances.I felt too often we lacked a little composure on the ball and rushed things a little.Too often trying the obvious pass and then not hitting it firmly so that the defenders cut it off.

Reading had clearly come to frustrate but they had a forward with real pace so they didn't need that many forward to create a serious threat.I get the feeling that lack of pace might be a weakness in City but maybe this girl was just lightning quick.I was worried when we had corners and left 3 against 2 at the back but one was their runner and our three were slow.Probably our fastes girl was taking the corners!

Individually it's clear that Toni Duggan is a very special player.Her two goals were poachers goals and great examples of a striker being really alert.Only a good save stopped it being 3.But she also works hard,drops deep and can see and deliver a pass.One pass to set Jill Scott free was a peach.Decent performances from a lot of players but also I felt each could look at silly and quite poor mistakes made.Losing the ball to allow a break away near the end being one example.

Overall a good win and decent performance with plenty to learn from.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Ladies v Reading FA Cup

Postby Sister of fu » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I thought it was in as it was past me but managed to get a hand on it. Loved the day but it has been soured by the lads getting beat.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Re: Ladies v Reading FA Cup

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I thought it was in as it was past me but managed to get a hand on it. Loved the day but it has been soured by the lads getting beat.

Even better save then to get such a strong hand or maybe just fingertips to it. Couple of other good tip over saves and I bet you were pleased taking that cross in the crowded box near the end. I was for sure as it just takes the pressure off so much.

Enjoyed the game,thanks for sorting me out.See you at the Scouser game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Return to The Maine Football forum