Elaquim Mangala

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Elaquim Mangala

Postby gaudy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Is it just me or does it seem mad to be buying a defender for 45million euros to ultimately sit on the bench .
You can talk shit all day long about how he is cover for a dip in form or an injury but he's coming in as third choice.
We have to be the only club in the world that can do this.
Amazing to say the least
gaudy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby BoltFromTheBlue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:19 pm

I just love how much this will make the rags implode!
Tick tock tick tock.
BoltFromTheBlue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:34 pm

gaudy wrote:Is it just me or does it seem mad to be buying a defender for 45million euros to ultimately sit on the bench .
You can talk shit all day long about how he is cover for a dip in form or an injury but he's coming in as third choice.
Amazing to say the least

Dont see it as a pure third choice. More like a rotation of three into two when needs be.
With MDM getting on a bit and possibly moving on now, Its a signing for real competition for places. Apart from the competition there is the the usual Kompany injury/ban/rest to think about, and then there's Mangala, quite good so far, but who knows what he will do. Its a very good signing.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Is it just me or does it seem mad to be buying a defender for 45million euros to ultimately sit on the bench .
Amazing to say the least

If we pay that much money for him he will play and Mangala will probably have to move to the bench instead. That would be my take on it anyway.

Also see that Denayer's agent is a bit unhappy about the situation but the purchase of Otamendi could actually mean nothing in terms of playing chances if Pellegrini is going to continue to use MDM as a defensive midfielder to come on at the end of games. Denayer will get his chances this season and I'd be disappointed to see him go, unless it's on loan to a better league than the Scottish.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby mr_nool » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:35 pm

I think it's quite disappointing in regards to Denayer. He was introduced as a first team member during the City Live event, and what now? Another loan and then back next season as fourth choice centre back? It doesn't seem very holistic to me.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Wooders » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm

mr_nool wrote:I think it's quite disappointing in regards to Denayer. He was introduced as a first team member during the City Live event, and what now? Another loan and then back next season as fourth choice centre back? It doesn't seem very holistic to me.

I am dissapointed for Denayer but the real game shows he isn't quite ready yet
Also - it's not as if we've gone for any old centre back - otamendi is one of the worlds best defenders, and we can get him at a reasonable price, we can't just ignore chances like that
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 pm

mr_nool wrote:I think it's quite disappointing in regards to Denayer. He was introduced as a first team member during the City Live event, and what now? Another loan and then back next season as fourth choice centre back? It doesn't seem very holistic to me.

But its about results, and trophies.
Denayer is a young man, he has plenty of time ahead of him, it would be very good if he went out on loan to decent side. If he is a good as most believe then he will progress and wont be a 'fourth' choice any more.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mike J » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Fucked off about it personally. Im sure Otamendi is great etc but i just think this sends out a real shit message to the young lads. Why dont we just have a bit of faith in Denayer.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:45 pm

stones to chelsea
denayer to everton (on loan)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Amazing to say the least

If we pay that much money for him he will play and Mangala will probably have to move to the bench instead. That would be my take on it anyway.

Also see that Denayer's agent is a bit unhappy about the situation but the purchase of Otamendi could actually mean nothing in terms of playing chances if Pellegrini is going to continue to use MDM as a defensive midfielder to come on at the end of games. Denayer will get his chances this season and I'd be disappointed to see him go, unless it's on loan to a better league than the Scottish.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that part of the reason this deal is going through, is because they still owe us for Negredo and that we won't actually be handing over 45m. I don't know much about him as a player but I would imagine that if he is decent then he is there as cover for either Mangala or Kompany when he eventually gets injured. I don't know what the implications are for Denayer but I don't think he was ever going to be a starter in the league anyway. i would still hope he will get game time in the cups and maybe also as sub in some league games. If he is loaned out to a Prem team, it might not be so bad for his experience either. It could still be an upgrade on the experience he gained at Celtic.
I can't see MDM being around next year and when Delph is fit I can't see the same kind of substitution being made, with MDM coming on to bolster defensive midfield.
We're only two games in and a lot can happen before the transfer window shuts. Let's wait and see what the plans are. We may well be surprised regarding Denayer and the rest of the youngsters, but I can't see Pellegrini throwing them in early in the season.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:49 pm

Mike J wrote:

Fucked off about it personally. Im sure Otamendi is great etc but i just think this sends out a real shit message to the young lads. Why dont we just have a bit of faith in Denayer.

I'm just not getting it Mike - do you not want to win trophies?

The lad did well in pre-season they say. Well he did, FOR A LAD. Actually he had a bit of a mare against Real where 4 goals were scored through his space. So when Kompany is injured/suspended for Champions League semi-final do we say " Oh fuck it never mind if we lose as long as Denayer gets experience"?

Or do we just plan a bit?

If he's any good his time will come.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:stones to chelsea

Good shout. Though I'd personally be reluctant to deal with Everton after the Lescott transfer
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Amazing to say the least

Mangala cost just as much. He should keep his place (in the league) unless he fucks up.

I worry that rotation might fuck up our defensive cohesiveness though, i.e. Otamendi's introduction, a random start for Clichy, Zabaleta's return. Too many of those changes could be dangerous.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Can this fella Otamendi play anyway else? Defensive midfield a la MDM or full back. Be great cover if he does. Or is he an out and out centre half. Must admit, I don't remember ever seeing him play, or if I have, I don't recall him
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:stones to chelsea

Good shout. Though I'd personally be reluctant to deal with Everton after the Lescott transfer

I'd also be reluctant to facilitate the cheating chavs in getting a player they want.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Mangala cost just as much. He should keep his place (in the league) unless he fucks up.

Yeah but he cost as much last season, which in my experience doesn't weigh over into the next season. Otamendi's being purchased now and will ahve to play in order to motivate his purchase.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:03 pm

nottsblue wrote:Can this fella Otamendi play anyway else? Defensive midfield a la MDM or full back. Be great cover if he does. Or is he an out and out centre half. Must admit, I don't remember ever seeing him play, or if I have, I don't recall him

Defensive midfield.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:11 pm

is he our first 'hipster' signing?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mike J » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:13 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Mike J wrote:

I'm just not getting it Mike - do you not want to win trophies?

The lad did well in pre-season they say. Well he did, FOR A LAD. Actually he had a bit of a mare against Real where 4 goals were scored through his space. So when Kompany is injured/suspended for Champions League semi-final do we say " Oh fuck it never mind if we lose as long as Denayer gets experience"?

Or do we just plan a bit?

If he's any good his time will come.

Course i want the club to win trophies, i just dont think this is a signing we require. Kompany, mangala, MDM and Denayer seems sufficient enough to me. Are we ever going to give them a chance or just keep signing players. All i am saying is i would love to see the club have a bit of faith in him. He's going to make mistakes, he is young. But he will learn from them
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:32 pm

nottsblue wrote:Can this fella Otamendi play anyway else? Defensive midfield a la MDM or full back. Be great cover if he does. Or is he an out and out centre half. Must admit, I don't remember ever seeing him play, or if I have, I don't recall him

He has been deployed rather unconvincingly as a right back for Argentina at the 2010 WC.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum