Elaquim Mangala

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Elaquim Mangala

Postby Spurge » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Spurge wrote:Mangala is the centre half we've been heavily linked with - he and Fernando almost joined us in the last transfer window from Porto. Fernando was suspended for this so thought I'd tune in and keep an eye on Mangala.

Tonight was the first chance I've had to watch him and he was up against Sevillia in the Europa league q/f.

Sevillia ran out 4-1 winners on the night led 3-0 at h-t and despite a red card for Coke in the second half added a fourth for which Mangala was culpable. Caught totally out of position and ball watching - proper school boy stuff. I have to say for a big strong lad he looked pretty hopeless all night. I'm not wanting to judge him on one game and certainly trust our scouts so hopefully tonight was a blip particularly as we are talking big money - he made Demi look like a top quality defender!

Quaresma looked like an interesting proposition for Porto - didn't play particularly well but you could see he is a bit of a talent. Hit a terrific consolation for Porto right at the death.

Sevillia - terrific fans, what an atmosphere they created!

I see Quaresma banged in a couple for Porto v Bayern last night

wow
you should be our chief scout
send a link to this thread to tricky...

good idea
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Spurge wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Spurge wrote:Mangala is the centre half we've been heavily linked with - he and Fernando almost joined us in the last transfer window from Porto. Fernando was suspended for this so thought I'd tune in and keep an eye on Mangala.

Tonight was the first chance I've had to watch him and he was up against Sevillia in the Europa league q/f.

Sevillia ran out 4-1 winners on the night led 3-0 at h-t and despite a red card for Coke in the second half added a fourth for which Mangala was culpable. Caught totally out of position and ball watching - proper school boy stuff. I have to say for a big strong lad he looked pretty hopeless all night. I'm not wanting to judge him on one game and certainly trust our scouts so hopefully tonight was a blip particularly as we are talking big money - he made Demi look like a top quality defender!

Quaresma looked like an interesting proposition for Porto - didn't play particularly well but you could see he is a bit of a talent. Hit a terrific consolation for Porto right at the death.

Sevillia - terrific fans, what an atmosphere they created!

I see Quaresma banged in a couple for Porto v Bayern last night

wow
you should be our chief scout
send a link to this thread to tricky...

good idea

Porto did well last night because they got rid of some dead wood last year.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby one man army » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Porto did well last night because they got rid of some dead wood last year.

immediately after i'd learned about the result I thought exactly the same thing. the amount the club spent on those two is so obscenely huge, it's almost embarrassing. however - mangala is still 24, still has not reached his peak. his confidence might've been dented because, as a new player, he is not trusted by fans, and they don't back him when the media feed on his mistakes. give him a good pre-season and one more round, and ship out if no progress seen. simples.
Last edited by one man army on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ŁÓDZKI 1908 KLUB 2015 SPORTOWY
107 years and counting...
NIGDY NIE ZGINIE! ŁKS NIGDY NIE ZGINIE!
one man army
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: ŁKS & MCFC
My favourite player is: Bodzio W.

Postby JoelRobbo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:19 am

http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/04/15/ ... -i-defence

Written a story folks about our defence, who we need to keep and get rid of and who we can target in those positions, would mean alot to know what you guys think!
JoelRobbo
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby dazby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:38 am

I think your article is ok. I think you've been harsh on the Mangler. Kollyrov and Sagna to go? Yep, I'd go with that.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:45 am

JoelRobbo wrote:http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/04/15/9192/the-big-clear-out-part-i-defence

Written a story folks about our defence, who we need to keep and get rid of and who we can target in those positions, would mean alot to know what you guys think!

Glen Johnson.....really. Not a chance. Would rather see one of the kids come in. There is a reason Liverpool are getting ready to off load.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:27 am

JoelRobbo wrote:http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/04/15/9192/the-big-clear-out-part-i-defence

Far too harsh on Mangala, he hasn't justified his price tag so far but he's been nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

In his defence it can't be easy to settle into a squad that's underperforming, especially given the more experienced heads around him have been all at sea all season.

We've kept 10 clean sheets in the PL this season, Mangala has started 8 of them games.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby gmercer1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 am

Has Mangala played 2 games on the bounce at all this season?
Feel sorry for the lad, a lot of pressure on his shoulders with the price tag etc, then he gets thrown in every now and again. Not had chance to get in to any rhythm at all.
As mentioned give him a good pre season and start him next year then we can start judging.
gmercer1

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 am

gmercer1 wrote:Has Mangala played 2 games on the bounce at all this season?
Feel sorry for the lad, a lot of pressure on his shoulders with the price tag etc, then he gets thrown in every now and again. Not had chance to get in to any rhythm at all.
As mentioned give him a good pre season and start him next year then we can start judging.

If I was the boss the lad would play every game from now. He has been made a scapegoat by many and has been ridiculed by the press much in the same way Martin D was. Its not his fault we paid that money for him and its not his fault that he has come into a squad that is in some form of crisis. We as fans should really get behind him and try to help him along. He is certainly not the first player to arrive in the premier league to struggle and will not be the last. We saw against Chelsea that he can play so its in there, its just a case of getting that on a consistent level with a steady partner alongside him.
Sister of fu

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 am

Sister of fu wrote:

Glen Johnson.....really. Not a chance. Would rather see one of the kids come in. There is a reason Liverpool are getting ready to off load.

not read the article, but if I read that right, I wont bother. Anyone who suggests Johnson needs to get glasses or see a doctor.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:31 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

not read the article, but if I read that right, I wont bother. Anyone who suggests Johnson needs to get glasses or see a doctor.

We apparently should get rid of our one free transfer and replace him with this one. No thanks. I think this season has proved we need to stop doing things on the cheap and getting 2nd ratter's in to fill out the squad.
Last edited by Sister of fu on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sister of fu

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Would apparently should get rid of our one free transfer and replace him with this one. No thanks. I think this season has proved we need to stop doing things on the cheap and getting 2nd ratter's in to fill out the squad.

Sis is spot on
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Would apparently should get rid of our one free transfer and replace him with this one. No thanks. I think this season has proved we need to stop doing things on the cheap and getting 2nd ratter's in to fill out the squad.

Sis is spot on

Agreed, i just think promoting Denayer and Angelino and selling kolorov and the defence is fine. Sagna not going anywhere due to contract and he is handy to fill in, doesnt become a bad player overnight. Mangala has it, he has shown it, its just consistency he needs, he will be a big player for us in future.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 am

United paid a hell of a lot for Pallister, and he certainly had some dodgy games in his first season. Let in 5 on one occasion . ...
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I know he is only 24 (only) and I know he has not been here long etc. I get that but anyone who has seen him play for Porto will tell you he was dodgy there. Cannot for the life of me understand why we bought a defender for over £40m ( inc all associated costs) from the Portugese league. It's a myth that he is quick and he is not strong enough.
South Stand Balti

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:14 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I know he is only 24 (only) and I know he has not been here long etc. I get that but anyone who has seen him play for Porto will tell you he was dodgy there. Cannot for the life of me understand why we bought a defender for over £40m ( inc all associated costs) from the Portugese league. It's a myth that he is quick and he is not strong enough.

It isn't a myth at all. I didn't watch him in the Portuguese league but did watch him in Europa League, from what I saw of him there he showed he has all the right physical attributes but I will say he was a bit rash at times, reminded me a lot of a young Kompany.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Here's an example of his pace SSB

http://twitpic.com/ebxvx0

And he showed his physical strength too by out muscling Costa right throughout that same game.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dameerto » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:25 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I know he is only 24 (only) and I know he has not been here long etc. I get that but anyone who has seen him play for Porto will tell you he was dodgy there. Cannot for the life of me understand why we bought a defender for over £40m ( inc all associated costs) from the Portugese league. It's a myth that he is quick and he is not strong enough.

Challenge him to an arm wrestle if you don't think he's strong enough - even the guy's muscles have muscles.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:40 am

Dameerto wrote:

Challenge him to an arm wrestle if you don't think he's strong enough - even the guy's muscles have muscles.

He was out muscled at home to Burnley. Brushed aside. His positional sense is poor too. I want him to do well but he is not good enough.
South Stand Balti

Postby Spurge » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:18 am

I didn't really enjoy it to be honest, easy to be critical but no real depth to it. Mangala an obvious target, no surprise you started with him, but whilst you note his impressive debut, you then go on to rip him apart without attempting to explore reasons why he might have struggled e.g no run of consecutive games, not having sufficient opportunities to forge a relationship in a centre back partnership, possible first season syndrome - it happens to the best of them.

I'm not saying he is going to be a success at City, or attempting to deny that he has had a poor season with mistakes, I'm just saying that perhaps you should have explored in a bit more detail why he has been the shambolic performer you describe. Not sure he should be the scapegoat you suggest for VK's underperforming.

I started this thread based on the first and only time I'd seen him play - he had a poor game and I said as much, but also balanced that by acknowledging it was the first time I'd seen him,that he wasn't alone in being poor on the night and highlighting that our scouts will have seen him more than I.

You saw his quality against Chelsea on his debut so why has he then become shambolic, was the Chelsea game a fluke?

He played the rags onside for Smallings goal in the derby by dropping 5 yards behind the rest of the defence -unacceptable at this level really, was it just his mistake or a lack of talking by whoever calls the line (in VK's absence) - possibly, one thing for certain is that without communication mistakes are more likely to happen. It may or may not have been something to do with what happened, but recent performances by the team suggest a lack of togetherness making communication issues a possibility for the level of mistakes occurring all over the pitch.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum