U21 Cup Final 1st Leg this Thursday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: U21 Cup Final 1st Leg this Thursday

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 pm

FT 3-2 excellent game. I'll post more thoughts when i get hlmw. Race for th tram now
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sparklehorse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 pm

bobby brows wrote:FT 3-2 excellent game. I'll post more thoughts when i get hlmw. Race for th tram now

Thanks very much for that sounds like a nailbiter. At least we can take a lead to the away leg
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Sounds like 'Typical City' to me.

Well done Lads, get the feck in.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Attendance was 4873
Linesman on the far side was blind in the first half too.

Readings goals were sloppy poor play from city.

1st one was a cross to the far post where 5...yes 5 Reading players were queuing up to head it in unchallenged. Very poor from city.

2nd one was where Denayer went on a run (vinny style from centre back) neither glendon nor ntcham covered for him which they should have and he was dispossessed 15 yds into the reading half and they put a simple ball to the front man who ran through on goal and put it under lawlor who did get a touch.

City 1st was good work by lopes to cole who scored a good strikers goal. Calm and assured.

City 2nd was a pen from Lopes.
The big and I mean about 6'7" big number 5 for reading saved a certain goal on the line with his hand from a fofana shot and was sent off. He was already on a yellow for a dirty foul earlier.
Lopes calmly stroked it home sending the keeper the wrong way.

City were dominant in the 2nd half and were all over reading even before the sending off but there was that niggly feeling that we were shaky at the back. The full backs leigh and drury were bombing forward and Reading had a big powerful no.9 who was a handfull and a left winger who was small and quick like swp. Reading hit the bar from a lawlor tip onto the bar so we had to be wary.

The 3rd came from a constant 5 minutes of pressure from city with balls being played into the box and this time Reading were all over the place and it fell nicely for cole 2 yds out to tap in.

Subs
Paddy V changed glendon (who was awful tonight) for fofana and he made a big difference. We were much better with him on.

Also paddy V changed greg leigh for Angelino. This kid looked great, good skill and a great attacking threat, didnt see him defend too mu h for the last 20.

Good game and nice to see the win. Not over by any means as reading are dangerous
I didnt like to see the time wasting though. They were at it in the first half... annoying.

I hope the 2nd leg is streamed on the OS
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Some proper bellends in the crowed near me slagging some of the lads off and being over critical. Unbelievable negativity. There are young youth team learning the ropes and learning to play a brand of football and some got slated for it. Left 15 mins from the end as I'd heard enough.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Some proper bellends in the crowed near me slagging some of the lads off and being over critical. Unbelievable negativity. There are young youth team learning the ropes and learning to play a brand of football and some got slated for it. Left 15 mins from the end as I'd heard enough.

you weren't the home side of the dugout were you??? my dad was a bit over-critical of Bytyqi, his crossing and City's failure to get men in the box. think he still had his northern premier league head on from buxton v matlock last night. I jest of course

in defence I was impressed with both full backs, with both committing forward and over lapping the wingers. don't trust me on names as i think my team sheet was incorrect but Greg Leigh down the left was like Micah Richards only better at football, he was excellent all night. the sub who replaced him was even better, quick going forwards and backwards and an arrow of a cross.

the centre backs were less than impressive, Denayer plays a lot like Vinny but he can't win a header, he doesn't even attempt them. however i must point out that the Reading centre forward was HHUUUUGGGEEEE! every time they kicked it long he split the centre backs.

in midfield Glendon had a mare but Nitchim looked ready for the first team. It was liking watching Emyr Huws where you know someone is superior. Kofana came on to sure up midfield and he was massive too. Bytiqyi was off tonight, his decision making at the edge of the box let him down. I thought Lopes tried too hard to make something happen in the game but its clear he is a leader.

Up front Hiwula and Cole worked hard, obviously have bags of skill but were guilty of over playing it.

Overall it was very easy to see the style of the first team in their play and they were excellent to watch but left the gate open a little too often. However credit to both sides for an excellent game of football and Reading were no mugs they will graduate much of their team.

Thoroughly entertaining game.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Haz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Some proper bellends in the crowed near me slagging some of the lads off and being over critical. Unbelievable negativity. There are young youth team learning the ropes and learning to play a brand of football and some got slated for it. Left 15 mins from the end as I'd heard enough.

There were some pricks near me moaning about pretty much everything. Didn't like the way they tried to play proper football and kept saying they should play long balls over the top, and slated anyone that did anything wrong. Had nothing positive to say at all, and were totally silent once we went 3-2 up. Arseholes.
Last edited by Haz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Haz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 pm

I've gotta say the mass exodus on 85 mins was in evidence again tonight. What was the excuse this time, the place was only 10% full, so its not like crowds or traffic were an issue.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:43 am

Haz wrote:I've gotta say the mass exodus on 85 mins was in evidence again tonight. What was the excuse this time, the place was only 10% full, so its not like crowds or traffic were an issue.

Yep I noted that too.

Agree with the reports from W & BB, pretty much how I saw it. Several of the Reading players were built like fully grown 1st teamers, & big ones at that. The striker was well built but hardly Negredo or Dzeko. Neither of our cbs could get near him. It shows the difference between playing v kids & adults & it's a gap they are not close to bridging, not as cbs anyway. They both have all the attributes to play football though, as do most of the team.

Glendon did indeed have a stinker but Fofana, (who is enormous) came on, looked too good for that level imo. There is nothing he can learn there, he needs to be playing at the top. The power in the bloke's legs is incredible. With the right manager, he could be turned into a real force. He could score a goal literally every game from 30 yards. If we teach him to hit crosses/corners he could be a nightmare. So much more could be made from him. Sort it out. Don't waste him.

Agree about Greg Leigh. Looked like a potential first team defender, good jump on him, has filled out nicely since I last saw him in the flesh. Nothing spectacular on the ball but he looks 'right'. Angelino, who came on for him, is a much better footballer & could be a winger if he doesn't play fullback. His crosses are as good as Kolarov but he is much quicker, although much smaller too.

Cole did ok as did Lopez, both look prospects, but for me, Hiwula showed much more intelligence than the pair of them & they NEVER pass to him. Silva would have put him through 15 times last night.

He just ran about without the ball all night, making one two three runs & never, EVER getting a pass (apart from an early cross he fucked up badly tbf). Then he chased down a ball, robbed the keeper, instead of going for glory, picked out a pass, leading to the pen. Fantastic work.

No idea if he has what it takes for the first team & learned nothing about him last night as he hardly ever got a pass, but I did learn he is willing to run his balls off for the team, even if they won't put him through. Well played lad.

Pressing game was great 2nd half but defensive shape was abysmal. No evidence on that performance, to suggest Vieira as a first team manager, but it's not really the place to judge it.

Special mention for Reading's No 8 I think his name was Aaaron, Kuhl. Gareth Barry in Jim Tolmie's body, with a bit of Luca Modric thrown in. One of, if not the best player on the pitch last night imo.

2nd leg we could score or let in 6.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Haz wrote:I've gotta say the mass exodus on 85 mins was in evidence again tonight. What was the excuse this time, the place was only 10% full, so its not like crowds or traffic were an issue.

Yep I noted that too.

Agree with the reports from W & BB, pretty much how I saw it. Several of the Reading players were built like fully grown 1st teamers, & big ones at that. The striker was well built but hardly Negredo or Dzeko. Neither of our cbs could get near him. It shows the difference between playing v kids & adults & it's a gap they are not close to bridging, not as cbs anyway. They both have all the attributes to play football though, as do most of the team.

Glendon did indeed have a stinker but Fofana, (who is enormous) came on, looked too good for that level imo. There is nothing he can learn there, he needs to be playing at the top. The power in the bloke's legs is incredible. With the right manager, he could be turned into a real force. He could score a goal literally every game from 30 yards. If we teach him to hit crosses/corners he could be a nightmare. So much more could be made from him. Sort it out. Don't waste him.

Agree about Greg Leigh. Looked like a potential first team defender, good jump on him, has filled out nicely since I last saw him in the flesh. Nothing spectacular on the ball but he looks 'right'. Angelino, who came on for him, is a much better footballer & could be a winger if he doesn't play fullback. His crosses are as good as Kolarov but he is much quicker, although much smaller too.

Cole did ok as did Lopez, both look prospects, but for me, Hiwula showed much more intelligence than the pair of them & they NEVER pass to him. Silva would have put him through 15 times last night.

He just ran about without the ball all night, making one two three runs & never, EVER getting a pass (apart from an early cross he fucked up badly tbf). Then he chased down a ball, robbed the keeper, instead of going for glory, picked out a pass, leading to the pen. Fantastic work.

No idea if he has what it takes for the first team & learned nothing about him last night as he hardly ever got a pass, but I did learn he is willing to run his balls off for the team, even if they won't put him through. Well played lad.

Pressing game was great 2nd half but defensive shape was abysmal. No evidence on that performance, to suggest Vieira as a first team manager, but it's not really the place to judge it.

Special mention for Reading's No 8 I think his name was Aaaron, Kuhl. Gareth Barry in Jim Tolmie's body, with a bit of Luca Modric thrown in. One of, if not the best player on the pitch last night imo.

No 8 was the standout player for Reading, always wanted the ball, he reminded me a little bit like Lampard, he can pick a pass from 40 yds with no problem at all. Needs to sort his wig out though, I think thats why I noticed him so much rather than his footballing ability. David Luiz MkII
Wonderwall

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:39 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Yep I noted that too.

No 8 was the standout player for Reading, always wanted the ball, he reminded me a little bit like Lampard, he can pick a pass from 40 yds with no problem at all. Needs to sort his wig out though, I think thats why I noticed him so much rather than his footballing ability. David Luiz MkII

I was very impressed with the way he read potential dangers (ala Barry) then just calmly passed the ball out. But when needed he would really battle for the ball sometimes winning out v Lopez, & if neccessary kick him up in the air! But then with time on the ball, could pick a pass & create. Of course, it's one thing doing all that v kids, but another with Fernandinho & Yaya running at you, but the material is there.

I heard the Count was at the game & I bet he has clocked it. (The Count & first team players being there, is probably why Cole & Lopez wouldn't pass to Hiwula; trying to do more themselves to impress).
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby bobby brows » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 am

The tactics also seemed to be when in crossing position hit the casing off the ball...we blasted so many crosses across the Reading box last night it might have killed someone if they had got on the end of one.
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:12 am

bobby brows wrote:The tactics also seemed to be when in crossing position hit the casing off the ball...we blasted so many crosses across the Reading box last night it might have killed someone if they had got on the end of one.

Bytyqi was the culprit on most of those occasions, Angelino came on @70mins and showed him exactly how to play on the wing, even though he was a full back. Bytyqi didnt give up though and was a willing runner and was involved in some good moves, it was the final ball that was awful
Wonderwall

Postby YayaJonas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 am

I agree where I sat there was a lot of people having a go at the lads or not watching and talking very loudly about anything apart from the game. It's a real shame as the lads played pretty well. Yes there were occasions when the play wasn't great but as said they are still learning the ropes. I was really impressed by a few of the lads last night and we have some potential first team players. Also a shame the masses didn't stay to clap them off at the end.
YayaJonas
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Mancester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby bobby brows » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 pm

YayaJonas wrote:

I agree where I sat there was a lot of people having a go at the lads or not watching and talking very loudly about anything apart from the game. It's a real shame as the lads played pretty well. Yes there were occasions when the play wasn't great but as said they are still learning the ropes. I was really impressed by a few of the lads last night and we have some potential first team players. Also a shame the masses didn't stay to clap them off at the end.

There was a chinese bloke sat next to my dad on his ipad the entire game reading! very bizarre. don't think he watched one minute of the game and it wasn't like he was with someone who'd dragged him to the game, it was like he was just looking for somewhere to sit for 90 minutes.
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby patrickblue » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Seeing it's just up the road, I'm off to cheer them on in the second leg.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum