Monday's B*l**x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's B*l**x

Postby Chinners » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:36 am

THE BOLLOX

Pellegrini vows Manchester City will play to win at Liverpool
The Chilean says playing for a draw can be dangerous and has lavished praise on Brendan Rodgers' side for the attacking style which has seen them score 90 Premier League goals
The Reds go into the game four points ahead of their title rivals but having played two games more than the Chilean’s side.
While Pellegrini knows a draw would set his side up to take top spot from Liverpool, he insists City will travel to Merseyside aiming to bring all three points back to the Etihad Stadium.
“Maybe I am wrong, but I always think in the same way as a manager – if you play to draw you will lose,” he told reporters.
“So we are going to play to win. Of course after the game if we couldn’t win the game and we draw it’s a good result, but we are not going to play against Liverpool thinking we must draw. We don’t know how to play in that way.”
Pellegrini also lavished praise on Liverpool and their attacking approach, which has seen them hit 90 Premier League goals in 33 games.
“I am very happy for football. For attractive football, creative football,” he added
“That’s why I think Liverpool have a lot of merits in the year they are doing so far, because they are an attractive team and they always score.
“Maybe I also am wrong, but I prefer important teams, big teams, than those that just want to win 1-0 and give all the possession of the ball to the other team, score one goal and always defend during 90 minutes.”

Liverpool are fearless and all pressure is on Man City, warns Rodgers
Brendan Rodgers declared that all of the pressure was on Manchester City, rather than his "fearless" Liverpool team, ahead of next Sunday's potential Premier League title decider at Anfield.
Liverpool moved back to the top of the table last night with a 2-1 win at West Ham United and, if they beat City, they will be just four victories away from winning their first title since 1990.
Although City have more experience, and won the league in 2012, Rodgers predicted that his young side would not be cowed and would play their natural game.
"The team we have put together, the mentality is to be fearless," Rodgers said.
"It doesn't matter who we play. We have to respect [City] as they have world-class players but it's about ourselves and the confidence we have to play and for the youngsters to enjoy it. There is no pressure on them.
"Just go on and play. The most important thing is to focus on the ball and team and not yourselves and when you do that it will take you a long way."
Rodgers believes that Liverpool have the edge on City after their recent displays against them and thinks that all the pressure is on Manuel Pellegrini's side.
"I thought it was interesting to hear Vincent Kompany say that we are the best team they have played," he said.
"We should have won at the Etihad this season. We should have won there last season as well, but drew 2-2. We should have beaten them at home [last season], we were 2-1 up then made a mistake and it was 2-2."
Given the investment at City over the past six years, Rodgers believes more is expected of them in the title race.
"The pressure is on them because they've spent money and what they've done in the last couple of years has been fantastic.
"They're a fantastic football club and they've invested to win the league and the Champions League. They'll be looking to come to Anfield and get a result, but we're just going to enjoy it."
Asked about the erratic decisions of the referee, Anthony Taylor, who should have disallowed Guy Demel's West Ham goal for a foul by Andy Carroll in the build-up, the Liverpool manager thought about it for a split second and pointed out that his priority was not getting fined by the Football Association.

Man City once again close to signing Porto duo
Premier League hotshots Manchester City are once again close to signing the Porto duo of Eliaquim Mangala and Fernando, reports the Daily Telegraph. The Eastlands club were very close to tying up a deal for the duo in January but were allegedly taken aback by the sudden change in fee demands from Porto.
While the efforts to sign 23-year old French international Mangala are a serious attempt from manager Manuel Pellegrini to add to his relatively weaker defensive third, enforcer Fernando is being signed to provide sufficient backup to the likes of Yaya Toure and Fernandinho.
Mangala is believed to be costing City 29 million pounds, and is expected to fight for a
first team place alongside the club’s skipper Vincent Kompany with young Matija
Nastasic next season. City may well be without the likes of backup central defenders Joleon Lescott and Martin Demichelis, who have not impressed Pellegrini enough to warrant a longer stay at the Etihad.
Fernando meanwhile, could cost Man City in the region of 12 million pounds, which will be significantly higher than his market value in January, when he was yet to sign a new contract with the Portuguese giants. The Brazilian born midfielder’s addition could cast a big doubt over the future of existing enforcers in Javi Garcia and Jack Rodwell, who are both expected to be put up for sale in the summer.

Brennan weekend verdict: Silva shows steel
Spanish star David Silva has won acclaim for his playmaking abilities, but Stuart Brennan says his bravery can sometimes be undervalued.
David Silva has had all the praise under the sun for his ability.
It is there for all to see what a sublime, stunning talent he is. But what has not been given due attention is the bravery of the lightweight Spaniard.
There are footballers out there who live by the rule that if you cannot compete with an opponent who is blessed with greater ability, you simply have to kick him.
It takes a special kind of courage to accept that, take it, and keep going back for more. All the great players had that bravery.
Pele, Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff and George Best had it.
Lionel Messi has it. And David Silva also has it, in spades.
We saw it at Hull, when he was dazzling the KC Stadium with one of the most complete, dominant, delightful performances of the season.
The Hull players were reduced to clay-footed golems trying to grasp a will o’th’ wisp that flitted around them, trailing
stardust.
The only way they could cope was for Ahmed Elmohamady to try to break him off at the knee, a challenge which underlined the feeling that the FA’s rules on retrospective punishment are literally a terrible accident waiting to happen.
Silva got up from that painful encounter to carry on teasing and testing, setting up the decisive second goal.
It was all part of a day’s work for him, another talented player not getting enough protection from officialdom.
With the finish line in sight, Silva has an ankle problem – a knock rather than anything serious or debilitating – but one which lesser players might have used as an excuse to duck out and wait for the World Cup.
He has trained with it and played with it, and got another nasty crack on it during the win over Southampton, without flinching.
He eventually trudged off after 78 minutes, with the game won and his own tiredness evident after another display of guile, grit and plain old hard work.
Silva picked up the injury in the 3-0 derby win at Old Trafford, but it has not been serious enough to keep him out of games.
And he has continued to produce world-class performances to ensure City’s title chase stays on track, just as he did at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.
The Blues got lucky, in some ways, against the Saints.
They were second-best in the first half but went in at the break with an undeserved 3-1 lead, partly due to an awful decision by a linesman, who failed to spot Silva was a couple of yards off-side as he darted on to Edin Dzeko’s flick, before sliding a pass to set up Samir Nasri’s goal.
That can be viewed as a negative, but every team that wins the title has a slice of luck, and when you are not playing particularly well and still beating a team as good as Southampton by three clear goals, it simply underlines City’s status as powerful contenders.
What may be of concern to Manuel Pellegrini is the way his team took their foot off the accelerator as soon as they had gone ahead through Yaya Toure’s third-minute penalty.
They did the same at Arsenal a week earlier, and dropped two points from a winning position.
The early Blues penalty – awarded for a lazy, silly flick at Dzeko by Jose Fonte – was cancelled out by Rickie Lambert’s equaliser from the spot, given for a similarly pointless reflex thrust of the leg by Pablo Zabaleta, on Jack Cork.
Southampton fully deserved parity, although they were not really breaching a City defence which has now conceded twice in their last seven league games.
And, though the prevailing view was that Saints were the better team, the Blues might have had five in that below-par first half as Samir Nasri swept a shot wide, and Dzeko headed against the bar when he should have scored.
Instead, they struck twice in added time at the end of the half, through Nasri and then as Dzeko got his header on target from a gorgeous Aleks Kolarov cross.
By contrast, Joe Hart did not have a save to make in the entire game, which has to be a feather in the cap of the defence. Apart from being a little slow to deal with one or two balls over the top for midfield runners, and conceding the penalty, the back four did very little wrong.
The two goals at the end of the half took some of the wind out of Saints’ sails and City took control as Silva and Nasri sparkled, and Toure – like a bear with a sore head at times – imposed himself physically on midfield.
City have not been firing on all cylinders in the last two games, after the five-star showing in the derby, but the fact that they are defending well and still gathering points, is a good thing.
They now have six days to plot for Liverpool at Anfield, a game which might not decide the title but will define clear favourites in the race.
They will have no choice but to start at a high tempo in that game, as Liverpool have shown that they tend to come out with all guns blazing, and will seek to blow City away in the same way they did Arsenal in February, when they were 4-0 up inside 20 minutes.
The Blues have the ability to meet that fire with a blaze of their own, and with the national media whipping up a frenzy over Liverpool, City are almost tip-toeing into this game.
Liverpool and manager Brendan Rodgers deserve plaudits, but some people were last week treating this title race as being virtually over.
City appear to be almost unnoticed down in third position, but they know the league table could look very different in nine days’ time, after
the Anfield clash and the Blues’ rearranged home game with Sunderland the following Wednesday.
Now the Blues need their big players to step forward Silva can show once again that guts plays a major part in his glory, and Yaya Toure should be firing again – it could be quite a game!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is ready to challenge Chelsea's attempts to sign Benfica's 20-year-old Serbia forward Lazar Markovic. Metro

West Ham and Hull are leading the chase for AC Milan's £3m-rated Ghana midfielder and former Portsmouth player Sulley Muntari, 29. Daily Mirror

Sevilla and Spain defender Alberto Moreno, 21, is reportedly at the centre of a Premier League transfer battle involving Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool. Metro

West Ham are planning to bring back midfielder Michael Carrick, 32, and defemder Rio Ferdinand, 35, from Manchester United. Caught Offside

Chelsea scouts watched Toulouse defender Serge Aurier at the weekend, but the 21-year-old Ivory Coast international has revealed a desire to join Arsenal. Inside Futbol

Chris Hughton's sacking by Norwich has been called ''bonkers and deluded'' by Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker. Daily Mirror

West Brom boss Pepe Mel steered his side to victory over Norwich last Saturday but raised doubts about his future at the club following the game. Birmingham Mail

Leeds owner-elect Massimo Cellino could weigh up bringing in Gianfranco Zola as boss of the Elland Road club if he decides to sack current boss Brian McDermott. Times

Former Arsenal striker Kevin Campbell says the Gunners should move for Chelsea's 20-year-old Belgium international striker Romelu Lukaku, currently enjoying a successful season-long loan at Everton. Talkshit

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is ready to risk striker Samuel Eto'o, who has not played since 22 March because of a hamstring injury, as the Blues try to recover from a 3-1 deficit against Paris St-Germain in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final on Tuesday. Daily Star

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet says he intends to remain at the Premier League relegation-battling Wearside club next season unless he is sacked. Sun

Former Arsenal midfielder Stephen Hughes believes manager Arsene Wenger will remain in charge next season. Talkshit

Real Madrid are looking at Southampton's Luke Shaw, 18, and Benefica's Guilherme Siqueira, 27, as possible replacements for 26-year-old left-back Fabio Coentrao. Marca

Juventus are ready to challenge Napoli with a £10m bid for Newcastle's 26-year-old goalkeeper Tim Krul. Tuttosport

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is demanding £24m for Romelu Lukaku, who is currently on loan at Everton. The 20-year-old forward is on the shortlist of several European clubs, including Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and Atletico Madrid. Bild

Juventus could face strong competition from Roma for the transfer of Hamburg's 20-year-old midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu. Tuttosport

Inter Milan's 34-year old striker Diego Milito will return to his native Argentina after his contract expires. L'Equipe

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has dismissed speculation about him resigning over the controversy surrounding the club's transfer policies. Marca

Spanish striker Raul, 36, who currently plays in Qatar for Al Sadd, is torn between playing in the US-based Major Soccer League or retiring. As.com

Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood says even his friends and family fell for the false rumours on Twitter about him punching one of his players after the defeat at Liverpool last month. Daily Mirror

MORE BOLLOX SHORTLY ...
Last edited by Chinners on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's B*l**x

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:50 am

Oy, Brendan, you should won this and you should have won that, but what did you actually do?
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:43 am

He really is starting to get on my tits.

I really liked him at Swansea, but since he has gone to Liverpool he has got gradually worse. He honestly believes he is the best manager to ever grace the game.

I'd love to smash them by 5 or 6 at the weekend, won't happen, I'd take a draw though.
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:12 am

Rodgers at swansea?
If i moved into laurence llewelyn bowens house and moved his pictures around it doesnt make me the authority on interior design
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby littlebig » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am

Invisible Man Fan wrote: I'd love to smash them by 5 or 6

That would be very satisfying, put them back in their place
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10 am

littlebig wrote:
Invisible Man Fan wrote: I'd love to smash them by 5 or 6

That would be very satisfying, put them back in their place

It's going to happen; just have a little faith and then enjoy the media going into melt-down when it does.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Oy, Brendan, you should won this and you should have won that, but what did you actually do?

Exactly my thinking - "we should have won every time we played them"... at least he has now fully embraced the "Liverpool way".

When we win the league, at least he'll be able to say they "should have won it" and that should do him nicely.
As mentioned, he's gone so far up his own arse, it's hard to recognise him from his Swansea days. He has turned into a complete bell end.

I also read that he said all the pressure is on us, because we spent money?

Congratulations Brendan, you have just completed the last phase of the total bell end exam.
Original Dub

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 am

Original Dub wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Oy, Brendan, you should won this and you should have won that, but what did you actually do?

Exactly my thinking - "we should have won every time we played them"... at least he has now fully embraced the "Liverpool way".

When we win the league, at least he'll be able to say they "should have won it" and that should do him nicely.
As mentioned, he's gone so far up his own arse, it's hard to recognise him from his Swansea days. He has turned into a complete bell end.

Congratulations Brendan, you have just completed the last phase of the total bell end exam.

Old Rodgers.

Showbiz new bell end smile Rodgers
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 am

lets all have a disco wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Old Rodgers.

Showbiz new bell end smile Rodgers

He had to have the gnashers done mate - he's gonna be on the back of every paper in the land with trophy in hand. It's already a certainty.
Original Dub

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am

I'm guessing the tan comes with the teeth.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Chinners » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:51 am

Now now all, lets show some class before hurling personal insults . . . . and wait until we have won the league ;)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby City64 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Stop Press ......

Clattenburg gets title showdown blockbuster at Anfield ! The script has already been written .......
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

City64 wrote:Stop Press ......

Clattenburg gets title showdown blockbuster at Anfield ! The script has already been written .......

I'm happy with that. He's a contrary bastard and our kid calls him an 'awayer'.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Return to The Maine Football forum