Not so FANtastic

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Not so FANtastic

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 pm

We have the resources to improve atmosphere.

I'm amazed we've done nothing to tackle it.
Original Dub

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 pm

I've been thinking the same for a while now. I am slightly concerned that the atmosphere at Anfield may play a factor in the result next week. The only time our crowd create an intimidating atmosphere is when we play United at home.

I'd hoped a big Champs League night would spark us into action but we have played Real, Barca and Bayern in the past two years and the derby game is still the only game where are crown are up for being the 12th man. Compare our home games to say Anfield, Celtic Park or dare I say it , Old Trafford on a Champs League night we are miles behind in terms of atmosphere. In terms of big European nights I wonder if our fans suffer from imposter syndrome who don't believe they should be at the big table yet and are still thinking small time when it comes to the importance of derby games.

I used to think it was the stadium that was at fault but the atmosphere and look of the stadium was incredible for the Europa League cup final in 2008.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby bayblue » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Don't like that we give prime space to away fans. We could make the south stand even better if we shifted them.
Did I read somewhere that along with the ground extensions we might be moving the away fans?
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Twobob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Original Dub wrote:We have the resources to improve atmosphere. I'm amazed we've done nothing to tackle it.

Would we have a choice? Acid, E's or coke? ;-)
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby dikdok » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Come on lads is this the best thread we can manage!!?

If you want to bring back the rattles we used in the fifties and maybe some claxon horns then the noise will get louder. I'm afraid the way the stadium is constructed it's rather difficult to create a single loud voice like we had on the Kippax back in the day. Having said that I thought some of the South East singing was particularly brilliant yesterday...

We're going to buy your team
We're going to buy your team
So now you better believe us &etc

I sit at the back centre of the Colin Bell stand and the atmosphere is pretty funereal. If I start screaming and shouting (as I am wont to do) I either get rude stares or a tight pain in my chest so at my age I have to ration my enthusiasm.
dikdok
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City FC

Postby Twobob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:47 pm

I dont think its just at ours that has seen a drop in atmosphere in PL grounds, things are made sterile and probably a cultural thing - also the constant flood of football on TV means that its no longer a special event for a lot of people.

I remember watching the Scouse vs Sunderland game and seeing the pics of their supporters with flags and flares outside the ground - and hearing the individual shouts from fans/players inside, hardly transferred the atmosphere from outside into the stadium, until the last few mins.

The move was a mess for us though, fans in the kippax that were once close to the away section were now the other end of the ground - so when they move a bunch of strangers took their place who may have rarely been to MR.

The amount that leave early is a blight though, and in recent posts about this issue the attitudes that come through simply strengthen why this wont ever be resolved unless they get strapped in.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby roblues » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Original Dub wrote:We have the resources to improve atmosphere.

I'm amazed we've done nothing to tackle it.

They should try pumping in some fake crowd noise over the tannoy...
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm

roblues wrote:
They should try pumping in some fake crowd noise over the tannoy...

Perfect.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Looks like those who actually go to the match can't be arsed.

And don't get me started on the early leavers!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 pm

coMs wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:
No, but don't watch on tv either.

You just carry on as normal - sitting in silence unless criticising our own players and leaving with 5 minutes to go.

I dont criticise our players, sit in silence or leave with 5 mins to go.
I also dont criticise my fellow fans who have paid their money and are free to watch the game as they please unlike you.
Perhaps you could let us all know how we should act during the game and we could all be top fans like you.

champion
of
Mediocre
support
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:31 pm

I think there might be a bit of misplaced nostalgia for Maine Road, it was never the same after the standing Kippax was demolished.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 pm

It wasn't that quiet in 110 yesterday, but the trouble is that I don't think the stadium acoustics are all that.
It always seems a bit quiet on television, but never when I'm in my usual place. But having occasionally used the Colin Bell, I must say it's a bit like a library.
As for the leaving early, it just pisses me off, I don't understand it, I find it embarrassing, but it now sees to be the norm.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby ant london » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 pm

I don't know, I've still been at some great matches/atmospheres at COMS since we moved. That first derby under KK when we won 4-1 was absolutely brilliant. I couldn't even get a ticket for that Hamburg game someone referred to but even on TV that seemed amazing.

I can't get to so many games these days for obvious reasons but I still get the tingles and the tension. Honestly, the games I've managed to get to since living overseas there is only one where the atmosphere has been properly shite and that was against Palace over Xmas this year which was properly graveyard-esque. Other than that I really think the Maine Road nostalgia gets a bit ridiculous. I loved Maine Road but I did not love the shit I mostly watched there.

Football has changed, yeah maybe not for the better but watching this team....even with a less intense atmosphere....is 1000000% better than the shit most of us watched in a belting atmosphere.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby coMs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
champion
of
Mediocre
support

ENIAM NAM
SDRAWKCAB TNUC
coMs

Postby roblues » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 pm

What I heard yesterday sounded fairly balanced, although it did feel like the team needed a lift once Southampton got into their rhythm in the first half. Dzeko's name was sung loud and clear twice in the first five minutes; he was then slaughtered several times for failing to control the ball or press high enough, as was Kolarov for misplacing a few passes when he had a little more time; Dzeko then received a standing ovation on his substitution, and the cries of BEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSTT were clearly audible despite his struggles.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm

coMs wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:
champion
of
Mediocre
support

ENIAM NAM
SDRAWKCAB TNUC

Outstanding.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby coMs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:36 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
Outstanding.

Thank you.
Although your hatred of city fans is astounding.
coMs

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:38 pm

patrickblue wrote:It wasn't that quiet in 110 yesterday, but the trouble is that I don't think the stadium acoustics are all that.
It always seems a bit quiet on television, but never when I'm in my usual place. But having occasionally used the Colin Bell, I must say it's a bit like a library.
As for the leaving early, it just pisses me off, I don't understand it, I find it embarrassing, but it now sees to be the norm.

I still thought 110 was average and has been slowly worse in 2014. its bad when you can probably hear me singing on my own..
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby roblues » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Nick wrote:
patrickblue wrote:It wasn't that quiet in 110 yesterday, but the trouble is that I don't think the stadium acoustics are all that.

I still thought 110 was average and has been slowly worse in 2014. its bad when you can probably hear me singing on my own..

A couple of years ago I tried to get a song going for Lescott in 111 (not that I want to be judged for that particular sentiment!) - even there, people turned and looked at me like I was mental. I quickly reverted to "Have you ever seen your dick?" at the fattest away fan I could find
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm

coMs wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:
Outstanding.

Thank you.
Although your hatred of city fans is astounding.

Unsurprisingly, you really have missed the point. It's about us all being the 12th man at a crucial part of the season. It's no wonder we struggle to achieve that.

I really can't be bothered continuing with this, so your next post can be the last which I'm sure will make you feel big and clever.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum