Next: Southampton (Home)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Next: Southampton (Home)

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Manchester City v Southampton
Etihad Stadium, City of Manchester

Saturday 5 April 2014
Kickoff: 1245 GMT

Referee: Chris Foy
Assistants : M McDonough & M Wilkes
Fourth Official: Robert Madley

TV Coverage in UK: BT Sports 1 HD (Sky 413) and BT Sports 1 (Sky 426)
Coverage starts at 1200 GMT
--

Another week long break ... good for the team ... not so good for us, who've gotten used to watching City play twice a week ... but as I said good for players, for them to rest, regroup and plan for the next game properly ... the team did look tired second half against Arsenal (but that was to be expected after the mid-week derby).
--

Opposition

Saints have been pretty good lately ... well, they have been pretty good all season and we haven't done too well against them since they have come up. Last year the season opener at home was a 3-2 thriller where we had to come from behind (perhaps taking them too lightly?) ... then our trip down south was what pretty much ended our season (as far as the league was concerned).

This season again we could only draw at theirs and now this tie has come at perhaps the most crucial time for us. Games against the likes of Scum and Arsenal this past week and upcoming ones against Liverpool and Everton are big enough to get everyone geared up for them. The games against smaller/weaker teams still give you a second chance to wake up if at start the intensity is lacking ... it's this weekend's game that worries me ... not big enough a team that is a title rival but not small enough to give us a second chance should we walk in to the game half asleep ...

And finally, while they may not have anything to play for anymore ... they are safe in Premier League and won't get to European spots either ... but they have quite a few English players 'auditioning' right now for catching that plane to Brazil so expect them to be playing their hearts out ...

I have no doubt that even though some relegation threatened back-to-the-wall teams are yet to come to Etihad, but this is the toughest of our remaining home games left ... we better not be caught napping.
--

Team Selection

Now that we are playing at home again ... will we see 4-4-2 back?

Aguero is still injured and at best will make the bench. I guess the best would be for him to get a little match practice and be ready for the Liverpool game. For this one, if Pellegrini must go with two up front, I would like Jovetic to start as he can drop deep as well, and perhaps Negredo to come in for Dzeko and gain some form back. Dzeko and Aguero can always come off the bench if the two new strikers don't get going ...

Rest of the positions will be filled by the usual suspects ...
--

Starting XI Prediction

Hart
Zaba - Komps - Demi - Kola
Yaya - Ferdy
Nasri - Jovetic - Silva
Negredo
--

Score Prediction

Manchester City 3 - 2 Southampton

This will be a lot closer than we'd like but as long as we bag all 3 points, I'd be happy with whatever the scoreline is.
--

Other Games

Ours is the early game on Saturday and kick-starts the gameweek, so a win here is not only important for the three points but can also put pressure on Chelsea and Liverpool. If we drop points here, it could give a huge boost to the rivals who both have potentially tricky fixtures of their own.

Chelsea host Stoke in Saturday evening game and Liverpool are away to West Ham on Sunday evening. Both on paper should pick three points each but if put under the pressure by our win earlier, you never know what could happen as both their oppositions (Stoke and West Ham) are capable of nicking something.

Game of the weekend though is Everton hosting Arsenal in Sunday's earlier fixture. Everton are only 4 points behind Arsenal and have a game in hand. This is a six pointer for that fourth spot and Everton can even entertain ideas of a draw here to finish ahead of Arsenal on goal difference (which currently is only 1 behind Arsenal's) ...

As much as I'd like Everton to finish above Arsenal, they still need to play us and I'd rather they drop three points then ... so given that pending fixture (against us) and Arsenal's experience of finishing fourth might see them miss out in the end. But an outright win here for them would certainly make things interesting.

So here's hoping for those City, Stoke, West Ham and Everton wins this weekend ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: Next: Southampton (Home)

Postby bayblue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Interesting shout there in your prediction that Jovetic will start. I hope you're right as he's got lots of talent and to date virtually no opportunity to show it.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby gillie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 pm

I see we get one of the worst refs for our game Chris fuckin Foy he hates Vinnie.Not looking forward to this game on the ref basis alone.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Southampton work really hard on their fitness to sustain a pressing game for the 90+ minutes. I hope we can match their work rate, we seemed to run out of energy in the second half against Arsenal.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm

An Admiral Akbaar game - "its a trap"

Do not look past this team. Focus on it, man up, show up, and win the bloody thing. If we don't win here, the Liverpool game becomes must win. They have some good players who need looking after, and will present a decent test for us. A win also ramps up the pressure on a Liverpool team that "won the league" last sunday, making their trip to West Ham that bit tougher.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:An Admiral Akbaar game - "its a trap"

Do not look past this team. Focus on it, man up, show up, and win the bloody thing. If we don't win here, the Liverpool game becomes must win. They have some good players who need looking after, and will present a decent test for us. A win also ramps up the pressure on a Liverpool team that "won the league" last sunday, making their trip to West Ham that bit tougher.

If we don't beat Southampton at home then we are gone off the rails at the very wrong time.

I think our recent form has been very impressive, barring a wobble due to Arsenal's determination not to lose yet more face. Drawing at Arsenal may be the best thing for focus on the rest of the season... if indeed lack of focus could come in to play in a title run in.
Original Dub

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Jovetic is a good shout but he has nt been given any time off the bench in the last two games. I can't see him being match fit. I suspect he will get half an hour as a sub, the plan being to start him against the Dippers if Sergio is not fit. It looks a tricky one but I have a feeling it will be a regulation win 2-0.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:53 pm

The 'random' fixture machine surely through up a tough group of games at this point in the season. Rags, Arse, Saints and Dippers in the space of 19 days, 3 away from home, is no mean feat.

The Saints look as though they've done well over the last few games but in reality, who've they played. They've won 3 in 4 but that turns into 3 in 6, and the 3 they won were against a shite Toon side, Norwich and Palace.

They'll give us a game, sure, but if we can't win this one we shouldn't even be looking at winning the league.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby MilnersJaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:24 pm

If we score more goals than them, we will win.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby clevblue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Towards the end of the Arsenal game Negredo looked to be getting a bit of his pace and energy back, I hope he'll play a part against Southampton. He may start scoring again. Jovetic still getting used to the pace of the PL but will come good he's class.

Goes without saying they are all must win games now, we can't give Saints an inch, they are capable of breaking fast and getting past defenders
clevblue
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:47 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Jovetic is a good shout but he has nt been given any time off the bench in the last two games. I can't see him being match fit. I suspect he will get half an hour as a sub, the plan being to start him against the Dippers if Sergio is not fit. It looks a tricky one but I have a feeling it will be a regulation win 2-0.

Lawro in disguise
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote: Lawro in disguise

I'm more of a Paul Merson
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby sheblue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:If we score more goals than them, we will win.

You might be right.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Biggest game of the season and we need to treat it as such.

With their pace on the break, we need to be very careful about not conceding. But it should also be a good test before Liverpool, as they will pose similar threats
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby AG7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Any update on Aguero anyone? Training yet? MEN Journos say Aguero quote about taking his time in coming back so he doesn't miss out World Cup is old(er) and he's already back working normally ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm going to be in central amsterdam on saturday. any good bars pubs that will have city showing?
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby City64 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Hate the early kick offs as it fucks up a good pre match drinking session in the city center !!!

Anyway 8 - 2 to us then Tonkin the scouse cunts 4-1 next week and happy fucking days !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:I'm going to be in central amsterdam on saturday. any good bars pubs that will have city showing?

Yes there is one in the leidstpein, will dig out a link in a minute and post it up for you, all you can eat ribs for €11 too lol
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

CTID Hants wrote: Yes there is one in the leidstpein, will dig out a link in a minute and post it up for you, all you can eat ribs for €11 too lol

Here you go, it is leidesplein is the closest thing to Covent garden, great place to people watch after a belly full of beer and ribs whilst watching the footie.....

http://www.satellitesportscafe.nl/web2/location.html

walked past it in February when there for business and even on a very wet Thursday night it was busy. Always best to get there early ;-)

If you don't fancy ribs, there are loads of decent restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

Enjoy!!!
CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm

cheers mate.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles