Demichelis - A Liability?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Demichelis - A Liability?

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 pm

PeterParker wrote:
aaron bond wrote:He did play well today - and has played well in several games lately.

The reality is he's cost us on so many occasions this season, I'm not sure he can do much to make up for all the shit he's sent our way. However, as we're stuck with him now until the end of the season, at least we're mildly comforted by the fact his form has improved.

Have to disagree here.

On paper, Vinnie made more decisive mistakes, than Demichelis. Whole season.

Where did I compare him and Vinnie??? Not sure what that has to do with my point...
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:36 pm

aaron bond wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
aaron bond wrote:He did play well today - and has played well in several games lately.

The reality is he's cost us on so many occasions this season, I'm not sure he can do much to make up for all the shit he's sent our way. However, as we're stuck with him now until the end of the season, at least we're mildly comforted by the fact his form has improved.

Have to disagree here.

Where did I compare him and Vinnie??? Not sure what that has to do with my point...

You didn't, i just wanted to point out that he has this false label around him that he cost us in many occasions. He did, but rarely decisive. He did mistakes, but just a thew became goals, not as much as people think and are convinced he did. He is slow, but he is very very diabolical at times, using his pace and positioning, like he did with Suarez.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm

PeterParker wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Have to disagree here.

You didn't, i just wanted to point out that he has this false label around him that he cost us in many occasions. He did, but rarely decisive. He did mistakes, but just a thew became goals, not as much as people think and are convinced he did. He is slow, but he is very very diabolical at times, using his pace and positioning, like he did with Suarez.

He did a great job against Wigan in the FA Cup, and against Barcelona in the Champions League. His positioning for Sunderland's goal in the League Cup Final was perfect. But if they're not decisive or important goals, then I'll leave it at that.

His form has improved enough to see us through these remaining games. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been poor in a lot of games this season, and if we head into next season with him as one of our starting centre backs, then something is seriously wrong.
aaron bond

Postby nottsblue » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 pm

aaron bond wrote:
His form has improved enough to see us through these remaining games. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been poor in a lot of games this season, and if we head into next season with him as one of our starting centre backs, then something is seriously wrong.

I also would not be impressed if he were a first choice centre back next year. As back up though, and an old experienced head who our younger defenders can learn from, he is well worth keeping imo. If only in cup games and banker home games to aid in rotation
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 pm

aaron bond wrote: He did a great job against Wigan in the FA Cup, and against Barcelona in the Champions League. His positioning for Sunderland's goal in the League Cup Final was perfect. But if they're not decisive or important goals, then I'll leave it at that. His form has improved enough to see us through these remaining games. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been poor in a lot of games this season, and if we head into next season with him as one of our starting centre backs, then something is seriously wrong.
forgive me if I'm wrong but we beat Sunderland to win the league cup so that wasn't a decisive or important goal and as for Wigan in the cup as it was Clichy who was at fault for their second (remembering we lost 2:1) then that one is arguably more decisive. He has had his moments but of late I think we are seeing the qualities that saw Pellegrini bring him to the club, I doubt anyone thinks he is a long term solution but he has offered more than any of our other options would have done.
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby aaron bond » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Dunnylad wrote:
aaron bond wrote: He did a great job against Wigan in the FA Cup, and against Barcelona in the Champions League. His positioning for Sunderland's goal in the League Cup Final was perfect. But if they're not decisive or important goals, then I'll leave it at that. His form has improved enough to see us through these remaining games. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been poor in a lot of games this season, and if we head into next season with him as one of our starting centre backs, then something is seriously wrong.
forgive me if I'm wrong but we beat Sunderland to win the league cup so that wasn't a decisive or important goal and as for Wigan in the cup as it was Clichy who was at fault for their second (remembering we lost 2:1) then that one is arguably more decisive. He has had his moments but of late I think we are seeing the qualities that saw Pellegrini bring him to the club, I doubt anyone thinks he is a long term solution but he has offered more than any of our other options would have done.

Wow...giving away a goal in a cup final isn't important because we won?!?! If you think defending of that calibre is acceptable then we clearly have different expectations of what is required from top-class centre backs.

Regardless of all of that, the reality is that Pellegrini had the opportunity to sign him FOR FREE and didn't. We only PAID £3.5M for him when we had an injury crisis. If Demichelis was that good, Pellegrini would have taken him initially for free.
aaron bond

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Fucking outstanding today, and has played consistently well for a few weeks now.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:14 pm

aaron bond wrote: Wow...giving away a goal in a cup final isn't important because we won?!?! If you think defending of that calibre is acceptable then we clearly have different expectations of what is required from top-class centre backs. Regardless of all of that, the reality is that Pellegrini had the opportunity to sign him FOR FREE and didn't. We only PAID £3.5M for him when we had an injury crisis. If Demichelis was that good, Pellegrini would have taken him initially for free.
decisive or important goals are ones that affect the result of matches - neither of that can be attributed to the goal against Sunderland - I never said that the calibre of defending was acceptable nor would I.

I don't know why we didn't sign him on a free, but we are talking a player who has been capped nearly 40 times by Argentina so I value his footballing brain even if his legs might at times struggle to keep up
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Dunnylad wrote: decisive or important goals are ones that affect the result of matches - neither of that can be attributed to the goal against Sunderland - I never said that the calibre of defending was acceptable nor would I.

I don't know why we didn't sign him on a free, but we are talking a player who has been capped nearly 40 times by Argentina so I value his footballing brain even if his legs might at times struggle to keep up

Will you two shut the Fuck up, please?

Cheers
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Demichellis has been the main man since Hull away.We are getting the benefit of a very experienced and capable player who is well able to compensate for his loss of a yard.Be well interesting to see if Martinez can suss our defence out. We can cope with the lump but must be aware of the late runners.Gonna be exciting.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby HARV THE BLUE » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Chuffin spot on today. I was a little concerned when he lost his hair scrunchy at 60 mins but he carried on like a true pro. 10 mins later he had the magnificent pony back under control. I can only assume the medical staff carry some emergency ones.
I can assume you from recent swimming trips with my 6 yr old girl that doing a pony tail is not simple. Without putting your knee against the poor girl's neck.
Demi - Respect!
HARV THE BLUE
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Negredo

Postby roblues » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:49 pm

HARV THE BLUE wrote:Chuffin spot on today. I was a little concerned when he lost his hair scrunchy at 60 mins but he carried on like a true pro. 10 mins later he had the magnificent pony back under control. I can only assume the medical staff carry some emergency ones.
I can assume you from recent swimming trips with my 6 yr old girl that doing a pony tail is not simple. Without putting your knee against the poor girl's neck.
Demi - Respect!

[youtube]/watch?v=ajBBb_Zszgc[/youtube]

You're welcome.

And on topic, I have been crying out for Lescott and Kompany to play all season but MDM has been great over the last couple of months and I am now not sure that Lescott is the better option after all. Probably still need a summer upgrade, but well done to the guy all the same.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Will you two shut the Fuck up, please?

Cheers

Fuck with a capital F.

Intense.
Original Dub

Postby bayblue » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:29 am

HARV THE BLUE wrote:Chuffin spot on today. I was a little concerned when he lost his hair scrunchy at 60 mins but he carried on like a true pro. 10 mins later he had the magnificent pony back under control. I can only assume the medical staff carry some emergency ones. I can assume you from recent swimming trips with my 6 yr old girl that doing a pony tail is not simple. Without putting your knee against the poor girl's neck. Demi - Respect!

Ha ha! Made me laugh
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:39 am

bayblue wrote:
HARV THE BLUE wrote:Chuffin spot on today. I was a little concerned when he lost his hair scrunchy at 60 mins but he carried on like a true pro. 10 mins later he had the magnificent pony back under control. I can only assume the medical staff carry some emergency ones. I can assume you from recent swimming trips with my 6 yr old girl that doing a pony tail is not simple. Without putting your knee against the poor girl's neck. Demi - Respect!

Ha ha! Made me laugh

Nah, the problem was that cocked up header on the attacking corner was down to the scrunchy, so he got rid of it and everthing was OK.

Noticed our 'offside' line was spot on again this week and I'm sure it's MDM calling the shots. He's mentioned retiring to River Plate - no, please Martin, we need another year as cover.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am

He has been better than Vinny recently imo (just as JL often was during the title season) & actually held the defence together.

He will always have that 'moment' though. Recently he has got away with it.

Apart from his 'moments' he is a top defender. If Nastasic had been fit & picked, I recon we would have been out of the title race weeks ago. Which is something to think about for next season if both Lescott & Demichelis leave.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ayrshireblue » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

I'd like to see him stay next season. I'd also like us to sign Stones from Everton to learn from him and phase him in as Demichelis is phased out. A couple of other players I'd like to see at City are Bony from Swansea and Erikssen from Spurs.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby littlebig » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am

He's really come on in second half of season, he's now, dare I say it, solid.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:41 am

littlebig wrote:He's really come on in second half of season, he's now, dare I say it, solid.

until we play decent opposition in europe and then he is shite.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby HARV THE BLUE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 pm

roblues wrote:<null>

Cheers fella. That is brilliant
HARV THE BLUE
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City FC