Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva's (lack of) shooting ability

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I was having this conversation with my Lad and he said to me that Silva is technically better than Santi Cazorla but in his opinion Cazorla carries the greater threat as he plays the same role as Silva but he can also shoot and score from outside and inside the box and isnt scared to have a pop. I have to say I agree with him, Dave isnt a shooter, he likes to create and score a good technical goal rather than a pile driver from 18yds.

I wish he would shoot when the opportunity is there rather than cutting the ball back 90% of the time. I love the little fella, but it is an area he can improve.

And that's the point: he CAN improve it. So he owes it to himself to do it.

He is the best playmaker in the country & could be the best midfielder full stop, if he did some extra finishing practice. It could also make the difference between us winning the league or not.

You can work on these things & make a difference.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Said it from day one. In Germany in the Europa he missed from under the feckin bar. Lad who said its due to his ankle problem may be right, he certainly rarely hits it with his instep. To me its just that it fits his overall technique of caressing the ball which produces the exquisite passes and control.Certainly infuriating cos he has the stamina to get in some superb positions and would be a dozen a season man if he could solve it. At the mo, Iniesta and Xavi are better shooters. Cazorla isn't fit to lace his boots imo.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I was having this conversation with my Lad and he said to me that Silva is technically better than Santi Cazorla but in his opinion Cazorla carries the greater threat as he plays the same role as Silva but he can also shoot and score from outside and inside the box and isnt scared to have a pop. I have to say I agree with him, Dave isnt a shooter, he likes to create and score a good technical goal rather than a pile driver from 18yds.

I wish he would shoot when the opportunity is there rather than cutting the ball back 90% of the time. I love the little fella, but it is an area he can improve.

At the weekend, Hazard picked the ball up, rode a couple of challenges, made half a yard and fired in from the edge of the box. That's exactly what i'm talking about and Silva is capable of doing that. If he starts doing that and gets us 12-15 goals a season which he is more than capable of, there won't be many better players out there.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Unfortunately they strike the ball completely differently. What Silve should be doing is not the Hazard snap but opening his body and bending it into the far corner with his left. That would revolutionise his game.That and not missing from one foot nine,lol
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Unfortunately they strike the ball completely differently. What Silve should be doing is not the Hazard snap but opening his body and bending it into the far corner with his left. That would revolutionise his game.That and not missing from one foot nine,lol

just like he did against Blackpool away, that was a great goal and I thought I would be seeing much more like it...unfortunately I was wrong
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

And that's the point: he CAN improve it. So he owes it to himself to do it.

He is the best playmaker in the country & could be the best midfielder full stop, if he did some extra finishing practice. It could also make the difference between us winning the league or not.

You can work on these things & make a difference.

He is just not a natural finisher, I often think he would score the perfect goal, he waited for Stoke defender in the cup final and messed it up last Monday was a shocker TBH
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby phips » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm

seems like Ozil is the same way (although, for me, Ozil is a better goal scorer than Silva) and always tries to find the best pass. that's admirable but sometimes you just need to let it rip. and i dont mean passing it into the net.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:10 pm

phips wrote:seems like Ozil is the same way (although, for me, Ozil is a better goal scorer than Silva) and always tries to find the best pass. that's admirable but sometimes you just need to let it rip. and i dont mean passing it into the net.

Ozil looks like he wants out !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm

So after all this what are the odds if him lashing one in from distance tonight? Let's hope
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:33 pm

phips wrote:seems like Ozil is the same way (although, for me, Ozil is a better goal scorer than Silva) and always tries to find the best pass. that's admirable but sometimes you just need to let it rip. and i dont mean passing it into the net.

Ozil is perhaps one of the most overrated players I've seen.
I didn't see him much in La Liga but was told he was one of the best in the world and Real Madrid were mad to let him go for 40 million.

Every time I've seen him, he's done nothing. Was shite against us, non existent against the Rags away, did nowt against Chelsea at home nor Liverpool away. Whenever I see him, he's on the periphery of the game. Not once have I seen him control or dictate a game like Silva can.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

I didn't see him much in La Liga but was told he was one of the best in the world and Real Madrid were made to let him go for 40 million.

Every time I've seen him, he's done nothing. Was shite against us, non existent against the Rags away, did nowt against Chelsea at home nor Liverpool away. Whenever I see him, he's on the periphery of the game. Not once have I seen him control or dictate a game like Silva can.

When he is on his game he is every bit as good as Silva, i think he was a good buy for the Arse, but he has gone off the boil at the moment.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

I didn't see him much in La Liga but was told he was one of the best in the world and Real Madrid were made to let him go for 40 million.

When he is on his game he is every bit as good as Silva, i think he was a good buy for the Arse, but he has gone off the boil at the moment.

Maybe so, maybe he did in Spain but I can't comment as I rarely saw him. All I can say is that he's flattered to deceive in every big game he's played. I'm sure he gets the odd assist but I've seen nothing to suggest he is close to Silva.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby bayblue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote: Ozil is perhaps one of the most overrated players I've seen. I didn't see him much in La Liga but was told he was one of the best in the world and Real Madrid were mad to let him go for 40 million. Every time I've seen him, he's done nothing. Was shite against us, non existent against the Rags away, did nowt against Chelsea at home nor Liverpool away. Whenever I see him, he's on the periphery of the game. Not once have I seen him control or dictate a game like Silva can.

He's done ok for Germany but surrounded by work monsters who give him the ball. His assist record at RM was pretty good as well. Having said that if it'd been Silva who signed for Arsenal the London based journos would have been even more over the top. Downside of playing for City.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm

bayblue wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote: Ozil is perhaps one of the most overrated players I've seen. I didn't see him much in La Liga but was told he was one of the best in the world and Real Madrid were mad to let him go for 40 million. Every time I've seen him, he's done nothing. Was shite against us, non existent against the Rags away, did nowt against Chelsea at home nor Liverpool away. Whenever I see him, he's on the periphery of the game. Not once have I seen him control or dictate a game like Silva can.

He's done ok for Germany but surrounded by work monsters who give him the ball. His assist record at RM was pretty good as well. Having said that if it'd been Silva who signed for Arsenal the London based journos would have been even more over the top. Downside of playing for City.

Some players come into the league and hit the ground running, then they are figured out by Managers and their analysts and end up having to adapt to playing against a team that has done their homework on them. However the window is shrinking on that and six months seems to be the norm now. I think this was the case with Ozil, he played well early on and now he's figured out he has to adapt his game. You could even put Negredo in the same boat who has started to look a little caged in recent games.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bayblue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Slim wrote:<null>

Hope you're not right about Negredo! Keep hoping it's just the aftermath of the injury!
bayblue

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm

bayblue wrote:
Slim wrote:<null>

Hope you're not right about Negredo! Keep hoping it's just the aftermath of the injury!

What are you talking about, barely a scratch.

Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bayblue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Slim wrote: What are you talking about, barely a scratch.

I know. "Hope"
bayblue

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Does he have a phobia?
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Does he have a phobia?

He has hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, but that's hardly appropriate here.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby guv111 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Must be psychological. Anyone who can pass like him could, conceivably, pass the ball into the net in the same manner.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum