Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva's (lack of) shooting ability

Postby aaron bond » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:15 pm

He's such a great player to watch in so many aspects of his game, but his reluctance to shoot costs us goals. There are times where it's easier for him to score, yet he refuses to shoot.

If he scored more goals, it would really take his game to a new level. Hopefully the management team are working on this with him.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Slim wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Does he have a phobia?

He has hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, but that's hardly appropriate here.

I googled that and now I'm even more confused.
Thanks.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Just dont get it. A classy player in every other aspect of his game. Actually, scrub out taking corners! He can pick passes no one else sees yet cant stroke the ball in a shot. He doesnt have to leather it every time. He could caress the ball in. A real shame as i reckon if he scored at the level of some of his peers, Mata, Hazard, Ramsey, Ribery, Fabregas for example he'd be a ballon d'or contendor
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:15 pm

nottsblue wrote:Just dont get it. A classy player in every other aspect of his game. Actually, scrub out taking corners! He can pick passes no one else sees yet cant stroke the ball in a shot. He doesnt have to leather it every time. He could caress the ball in. A real shame as i reckon if he scored at the level of some of his peers, Mata, Hazard, Ramsey, Ribery, Fabregas for example he'd be a ballon d'or contendor

Sell him to Barca in the summer for zillions.

Samir is the man
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:19 pm

nottsblue wrote:Just dont get it. A classy player in every other aspect of his game. Actually, scrub out taking corners! He can pick passes no one else sees yet cant stroke the ball in a shot. He doesnt have to leather it every time. He could caress the ball in. A real shame as i reckon if he scored at the level of some of his peers, Mata, Hazard, Ramsey, Ribery, Fabregas for example he'd be a ballon d'or contendor

zuricity wrote:

Samir is the man

Tongue in cheek?

Would not sell Silva to Barca unless Lionel was part of the deal. Agree Nasri looking the part and just to emphasize the point he scores more than Silva, although he doesn't create as much. Room for them both
nottsblue

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 pm

nottsblue wrote:

zuricity wrote:

Samir is the man

Tongue in cheek?

Would not sell Silva to Barca unless Lionel was part of the deal. Agree Nasri looking the part and just to emphasize the point he scores more than Silva, although he doesn't create as much. Room for them both

Yes of course tongue in cheek ....

Silva is a class player, but he still frustrates me at free kicks.

Being left footed like him and still being able to cross the bleedin' thing, his step up to a free kick or corner is like having a steering wheel down my trousers.... it drives me nuts.

you cannot control the ball with such an acute run up . You need to be able to hit the ball with all of your foot not just your big toe.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Twobob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 pm

He had a silva edged chance to make it 2-0 today, got the ball on his left, only the keeper to beat, passes is to Yaya who was marked.

Was bloody frustrating and concerning that he's opting not to shoot in perfect positions.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Dunnylad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Twobob wrote:He had a silva edged chance to make it 2-0 today, got the ball on his left, only the keeper to beat, passes is to Yaya who was marked. Was bloody frustrating and concerning that he's opting not to shoot in perfect positions.

To be fair it wasn't a perfect position, the angle was tight and the keeper seemed to have it covered so the ball to YaYa was probably the best in the circumstances
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Dunnylad wrote:
Twobob wrote:He had a silva edged chance to make it 2-0 today, got the ball on his left, only the keeper to beat, passes is to Yaya who was marked. Was bloody frustrating and concerning that he's opting not to shoot in perfect positions.

To be fair it wasn't a perfect position, the angle was tight and the keeper seemed to have it covered so the ball to YaYa was probably the best in the circumstances

It was. On his left foot, he could have even run further to give himself a better angle. Yaya on the other hand was being marked. If that was Hazard, it would have ended up in the back of the net.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:05 pm

nottsblue wrote:Call me Judas but this season, in a head to head with Hazard, for me there is one winner. He doesn't play for City. The only reason is goals. One player scores them whilst still being creative and assisting whilst the other is arguably a better player who creates more chances but just doesn't score heavily enough. It pains me to say but on current form I'd rather have Hazard

Hazard has had three good games this season!!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 pm

nottsblue wrote:Call me Judas but this season, in a head to head with Hazard, for me there is one winner.

He doesn't play for City. The only reason is goals. One player scores them whilst still being creative and assisting whilst the other is arguably a better player who creates more chances but just doesn't score heavily enough. It pains me to say but on current form I'd rather have Hazard

Mase wrote:
Hazard has had three good games this season!!!

Imagine then if he did have a good season, as he has scored 14 or 15 already. Hardly the return of just 3 good games
nottsblue

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Twobob wrote:He had a silva edged chance to make it 2-0 today, got the ball on his left, only the keeper to beat, passes is to Yaya who was marked.

Was bloody frustrating and concerning that he's opting not to shoot in perfect positions.

He deffo should've scored himself there. Shocking decision to pass. Come on Dave your better than that
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby zuricity » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Twobob wrote:He had a silva edged chance to make it 2-0 today, got the ball on his left, only the keeper to beat, passes is to Yaya who was marked.

Only the keeper to beat ? The angles weren't that great. Besides Yaya could have passed it on to Edin too.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:22 pm

zuricity wrote:

Only the keeper to beat ? The angles weren't that great. Besides Yaya could have passed it on to Edin too.

After seeing it again on MOTD it wasn't as clear cut as first though but he had plenty of time and space to shoot across the keeper and should have done, Yaya and Dzeko would have been there for any rebound.
Him passing to Yaya allowed Stoke's defence to get back and make the tackle. Silva really should have just hit that first time.

Been said a thousand times but if he starts posing more of a direct threat infront of goal, he'll be up there with anyone.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 pm

This isn't directly related to the topic but It seems the best place to put it.
When your strikers are struggling like ours are at the moment, these are the times when we most need the likes of Silva, Nasri and Navas to step up with some goals and take that bit more responsibility.
To be fair Nasri since he came back is stepping up and taking more responsibility to get us goals, if Silva can start doing that too it would massively help as Dzeko and Negredo at the moment are providing nothing.
If these two (Nasri and Silva) can step up their goal threat now when we need them two, it could well define our season.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby RodneyRodney » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 am

Silva simply hasn't got a strikers instinct ; if he had he would've got to that chance because he would have anticipated and moved.
He's a quarterback , not a wide receiver , an artist , not an assassin.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Jon London » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:16 pm

He has the record to score more for City.

For Spain 20 goals in 78 games (1 in 4) and just 18 goals for City in 120+ appearances (1 in 7). I know Spain play a different system but players usually score less % wise at International level than for their clubs.

He needs Chappy to make him a Spanish T-shirt to wear under his City shirt
Jon London
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Jon London wrote:He has the record to score more for City.

For Spain 20 goals in 78 games (1 in 4) and just 18 goals for City in 120+ appearances (1 in 7). I know Spain play a different system but players usually score less % wise at International level than for their clubs.

One in four is the rate he should be scoring for City, at least.

He is letting himself, & us down, by not doing so. Just fucking whack it occasionally (not in the air) & sometimes it will go in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Jon London wrote:He has the record to score more for City.

One in four is the rate he should be scoring for City, at least.

He is letting himself, & us down, by not doing so. Just fucking whack it occasionally (not in the air) & sometimes it will go in.

I think you can tell Nasri has been told to shoot more as recently he's been looking to take more responsibility and get shots off and is being rewarded with goals.
Would have thought Silva would have been told the same especially with our strikers in dire form.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby ashton287 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:59 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

PreviousNext